Stihl MS 460 cylinder question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonstc6

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have gathered together enough parts to build me a ms 460. I have a good looking cylinder, but it has a tiny indention above the intake port, about 3/4 of the way up. It is about the size of a pencil lead tip. It catches my fingernail a tiny bit on one side. Here is a picture of the spot in question and a picture of the parts I've gathered, i have all of the small parts in my box of parts. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2103.JPG
    678.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2111.JPG
    IMG_2111.JPG
    557 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2110.JPG
    IMG_2110.JPG
    700.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2101.JPG
    IMG_2101.JPG
    934.4 KB · Views: 82
I found a second mark like the one above. here is a picture of it. If i can use this cylinder, how do i prepare it for use?

Attachments

• IMG_2113.PNG
    IMG_2113.PNG
    135.9 KB · Views: 42
That is a chrome cylinder correct? It looks like flakes, in that case it can south fast

Kinda looks like plating coming off. It doesn't look like any piece of bearing or excessive wear.
I'm always leary of anything above the exhaust port.

I have another cylinder that has the top three fins broke off. Ill pull that cylinder and see if its good.

Thanks for the help guys. I took another cylinder off a parts saw and it is much better, it just doesn't look as good on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys I have another question. I picked up a pair of ms460s at a scrap yard for $15. One has bad bearings and a good cylinder and the other had a scored piston and the wrong gas tank(044). I needed a better case for the above project, so I took apart the saw with a scored piston and I found this.
c88d39c8f9f037bbd5a17890a5e333ea.jpg
b758932c850de2e3a53f165c2dff685f.jpg
dde35458fbd43dac1da12d8b8a16065d.jpg
b04efb4b3b537f0b1c3e259f7b9dfe92.jpg

What cause this? Air leak or straight gas?

The crank seems good, but I am going to split the case and replace the seals and bearings anyway. I am going to use the other parts I have to complete the saw. And then replace the bearings in the other saw.
I'm just curious as to what could have happened
Thanks

That's a possibility, I'm kinda puzzled because I couldn't find the missing chunk of piston. Also the crown is also melted on the edge

Something tells me that whatever foreign material it was ingesting was collecting on the edge of the piston creating a hot spot when running causes the seizure and the broken portion of the piston. Is this also the one with bad bearings?

I can't believe somebody would scrap a 460

I got a running ms440 off the scrap yard once. The handle part of the gas tank was busted. It had a like new 32" oem bar and chain. I also got a mint, perfect running husqvarna 262 off the scrap yard once too.

Back