Stihl MS 661 32" bar size maximum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamarack56

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This has more HP than than the 660, why would they limit it to a 32" maximum size? I own a 441 and it has no troubles running a 32 with only 71cc vs 92cc's. It seems to me there is need for a saw between the 880 and 660 that has about 102cc's and could run a 41" bar.

The oiler on a 441 barely oils a 28" and I wasn't much more impressed with the HO oiler. Looks like those 32" have seen a lot of time on a saw haha. I don't see one 441 in that pic.
What guage chain do you run ?I have run a 32 on 70cc saws for years as do most of the other guys around my area ,what works out here ,and what works there are 2 different things ,i guess the bars being new at the time means they would not cut or oil ok ? The 441 should have the same oiler as my 461 or 660 ,with a .063 guage bar they oil fine as does the 440's with a reg oiler .050 is useless on a long bar in my opinion ,burns the rails fast due to lack of oil .

What guage chain do you run ?I have run a 32 on 70cc saws for years as do most of the other guys around my area ,what works out here ,and what works there are 2 different things ,i guess the bars being new at the time means they would not cut or oil ok ? The 441 should have the same oiler as my 461 or 660 ,with a .063 guage bar they oil fine as does the 440's with a reg oiler .050 is useless on a long bar in my opinion ,burns the rails fast due to lack of oil .

Can't see how .013" in rail width affects how much oil it pumps. It's not like it's going to build up and run over inside the clutch cover instead of getting stripped off on the links as they go past the oiler hole.

If Brian says a .063 gauge makes a difference, I would believe him. Others have said the same. Don't know myself but if my math is correct an .063 groove will carry 25% more oil so maybe that extra volume being sweep along is enough to lube to the end of the bar. As I said I don't know. Ron

If the rail were empty, maybe so, but it's full of drive link and the pump output is the same regardless. In truth I don't know either. Just doesn't seem logical to me.

.063 gauge bar = .063 gauge chain. Explain how there is anymore room in the channel of a .063 gauge bar when it has a larger chain running thru it? Doesn't make much sense.

Latest posts

Back