Stihl MS 661 32" bar size maximum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read a lot of guys drill the oil hole out on the bar. I figure bigger is better, so I slotted it with a dremel cutoff wheel about an inch long. ;) Mine flows about 3 gallons a minute now and I don't get buildup in the bar slot because the oil flow blows it out. In fact, when I piss rev my 395, I can see the chain rise out of the bar because of all the oil under it.

I read a lot of guys drill the oil hole out on the bar. I figure bigger is better, so I slotted it with a dremel cutoff wheel about an inch long. ;) Mine flows about 3 gallons a minute now and I don't get buildup in the bar slot because the oil flow blows it out. In fact, when I piss rev my 395, I can see the chain rise out of the bar because of all the oil under it.
Same Here WIF a 660xxbb

Maybe this says something about the 661 - I pestered my dealer about 661s from the time the first ones hit our shores. Well, he order one and called me last fall to check it out. Too many things going on so I didn't make it down until today. No 661. He said he has sold 5 and has the 6th one on order. He also said it had been several years since he last sold a 660. Ron

'round here if you wanted to run .063, you'd have to order in all your chain. Most every place only stocks .050. When I bought my 36 ES on a whim at the flea market, I gave the guy $15. It is a 3/8" .050, so that is what I run. I see how a .063 will carry more oil, as long as the pump pumps it...

dw

'round here if you wanted to run .063, you'd have to order in all your chain. Most every place only stocks .050. When I bought my 36 ES on a whim at the flea market, I gave the guy $15. It is a 3/8" .050, so that is what I run. I see how a .063 will carry more oil, as long as the pump pumps it...

dw

You're going to have to buy the longer chain anyways...

I did not realize it at first, but the 044 I got from the mid west had a .063 24" bar on it. I actually ran .050 chain on it till I realized.

So now I have 2 saws running 24" bars, one .050 and one .063. I can tell you that if you have the bars buried in a large log, the .050 bar is a lot more likely to jam up with wood chips than the .063. Always ran .050 in the past, and have not had any problem on 20" bars, but it the future my longer bars will be .063.

And a .063 will hold more oil, because there is more volume in the gaps between the drive links.

Live & learn!

I did not realize it at first, but the 044 I got from the mid west had a .063 24" bar on it. I actually ran .050 chain on it till I realized.

So now I have 2 saws running 24" bars, one .050 and one .063. I can tell you that if you have the bars buried in a large log, the .050 bar is a lot more likely to jam up with wood chips than the .063. Always ran .050 in the past, and have not had any problem on 20" bars, but it the future my longer bars will be .063.

And a .063 will hold more oil, because there is more volume in the gaps between the drive links.

Live & learn!

Latest posts

Back