Stihl MS 661 32" bar size maximum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was running a brand new 661 a week ago with a 36" .404" .063" Stihl ES bar with Windsor semi chisel non skip on a 7 tooth rim. Did it easily buried in dead Sugar Gum which is HARD stuff and harder than basically anything you'd find in the states. Was a very impressive saw. With the oiler pin adjusted there was ample oil. Saw was an Australian delivered model bought by Ben (Bennn*e).
.063" bars will definitely carry more oil as .050" bars tend to pack out the groove with woodchips a lot easier. Not all timber species tend to pack out the bar groove but it's not uncommon in our timber to have woodchips jammed that tight in a .050" groove that it is a real struggle to get them out even with a bar cleaning tool. You don't see this in .063" bars.
If Stihl started saying that you could run a 42" bar on a 661 they'd never sell another 880 :)

Was running a brand new 661 a week ago with a 36" .404" .063" Stihl ES bar with Windsor semi chisel non skip on a 7 tooth rim. Did it easily buried in dead Sugar Gum which is HARD stuff and harder than basically anything you'd find in the states. Was a very impressive saw. With the oiler pin adjusted there was ample oil. Saw was an Australian delivered model bought by Ben (Bennn*e).
.063" bars will definitely carry more oil as .050" bars tend to pack out the groove with woodchips a lot easier. Not all timber species tend to pack out the bar groove but it's not uncommon in our timber to have woodchips jammed that tight in a .050" groove that it is a real struggle to get them out even with a bar cleaning tool. You don't see this in .063" bars.
If Stihl started saying that you could run a 42" bar on a 661 they'd never sell another 880 :)
Two things ..............
#1. Awesome post !!!!
#2. I had a mutha scratchin hard time getting my 36" .404 setup on my 661 with a 7 pin. Had to drill new bar holes. Did you get a chaince to look at the bar itself with the side cover off ?

Attachments

• 661 with 36inch .404.JPG
    661 with 36inch .404.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 75

Yup. I've never run a 661 with a 42" bar in hardwood but in pine, fir, or cedar they do a fine job.
Anything over a 42 I'd probably reach for that 880 though.

I run a 16" bar on my 661. I think my oiler is up to high because I have to fill the oil tank twice before the gas tank is empty. .......

#1. Awesome post !!!!
#2. I had a mutha scratchin hard time getting my 36" .404 setup on my 661 with a 7 pin. Had to drill new bar holes. Did you get a chaince to look at the bar itself with the side cover off ?

We had no dramas mounting the 36" ES in .404". Clearance off the rim and bar adjustment was fine. It may just be your photo but are you sure the bar you have is a 12mm 3003 mount bar? It looks like you have a bit of clearance between the bar studs and bar slot. It's not a 14mm 3002 mount bar is it?

#1. Awesome post !!!!
You have the wrong bar sir,a regular. 063 3/8 bar is the same as 404.just the bar tip is different and the drive sprocket has to be 404. That bat may be for an ms880 maybe?

HuskStihl - If I'm not mistaken, .063 and .050 is a reference to the size of the drive link. Other than the drive links being different sizes, the .050 and the .063 should sharpen the same???
Both chains share the same cutters so yes sharpening is the same different brands will differ though, stihl has the widest kerf I have found so far

I've had good success with a .404 picco setup with a 9 pin on my 445. The saw is running belRay at 32:1, so it's quite a bit stronger than stock however.

I forgot, was this thread about whether a 90cc saw can run a 36" bar, or why would a manufacturer specify a particular bar length? I know the answer to both, just PM me if interested.

We had no dramas mounting the 36" ES in .404". Clearance off the rim and bar adjustment was fine. It may just be your photo but are you sure the bar you have is a 12mm 3003 mount bar? It looks like you have a bit of clearance between the bar studs and bar slot. It's not a 14mm 3002 mount bar is it?

You have the wrong bar sir,a regular. 063 3/8 bar is the same as 404.just the bar tip is different and the drive sprocket has to be 404. That bat may be for an ms880 maybe?

QUOTED FO TRUFF

That would make sense ......:omg:....... I will check the bar later tonight or tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back