stihl ms 661 cm project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl_crazy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all I am new poster long time reader I would like to ask about a stihl ms661 cm I picked up for $500 the bar stud on the back has cracked hole in the back stud gone and the front is broke off.I don't know what happened to the saw don't have it yet but got a pic of the damage comes with no bar or side cover. The motor runs vary strong has low hours

What are your thoughts on price of the saw ? I Am thinking I can fix it without to much trouble. Don't have anymore pics of damage

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 160
Ok I read that thread this saw is a 2015 thought they had that fixed.Here is hoping stihl will fix it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

So you were the lone bidder.lol. I asked the seller for more pictures and a description of any other damage to which I received no reply. Not a good sign in my opinion. Looks to have been hit or tossed by a tree. Good luck on the repair.

Ya I am a little worried about that as well I am hoping it works out I will post some better pics when I get the saw I mite have some parts to sell lol

Yes sir hoping it's going to be that easy.their was not good pics of the listing and the discripsion left a lot to be desired we will see I am getting anxious to get my grubby Mitts on this saw this all started when I went to my local dealer and got a new ms261cm wanted bigger but thought this would be good saw to go with my 038mag well one thing lead to another and my dealer was showing me the $1100 661cm but I didn't want to pay the new price he even had the ms88p but was sold I got to start the 661 and it was all over after that

I was watching that auction as well. But i don't think its going to be as easy of a fix to tig weld those holes up, as the case is probably magnesium and not aluminum.

They have a product called alumaweld I have used it to repair a cracked lower unit on a 150 hp.This repair will really be testing that product it's got 150k psi per inch of strength going off memory pretty cool stuff adheres lots of different alloys.

If all else fales jb weld

I saw this too but couldn't get more pics, like of the muffer etc. It looks like to me the case upper dog mount is busted off and the lower is also sheared off. I figured i was going to get a new clutch side case to fix, get a new clutch cover, dogs, gasket set, etc but that would have been too much for me to spend $500 and all of that. Its definitely a cool saw to take apart though, and sure you could figure something out cheaper with the comment previous.

I never heard of alumaweld, but it definitely has my interest. Please keep us posted how the repair turns out/holds up.

Ow ya will be posting pics.parts are a little spendy over a hundred at the dealer I don't think I am going to find used parts for this guy.But won't to to bad if that's all that has to be done

Where was this auction ..fleabay??
I personally would never of shelled out $500 on a case repair like that. There's a reason why the seller didn't repair it himself and NO way is Stihl going to repair it. Physical damage is always answered by a SORRY
Hell I would of thrown down the 500 cash on the new one and financed the rest

Ya we will see It mite be a bad deal but if I can fix it without to much trouble I think it will be a deal $900 saw for 650 I like the challenge and if I cant fix it I will f*** it up so bad no one else will be able to fix it lol

I am also thinking their should be $500 in parts mite take a wile for anyone to need them

As long as it runs you are looking at about 150.00 for the case 1/2 170ish Canadian . Sadly there is no recall so you are on your own. but once up and running it is a great saw to flip.

That may be the best way to go I will be looking into that for sure going to try and get around that if I can

Just read a thread with his tips on case repair vary helpful thanks going to be a big help

Latest posts

Back