Stihl ms 880 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberjach

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys I am looking for some tips. I bought a ms 880 last year right after Charlie hit. It locked up on me two weeks after owning it. I followed all the directions on breaking in the engine. I use stihl's one shot with a gallon. I have been mixing gas for 7 years. Never a problem. In fact I continued to run the same mix in my other stihls. Stihl rebuilt it and it happened again 3 months ago. I was even more particular about my mixture after the first incident. Stihl fixed it again and I just got it back today. I shouldn't have to walk on eggshells with an 880. Advise please. Thanks

lumberjach said:
Hey guys I am looking for some tips. I bought a ms 880 last year right after Charlie hit. It locked up on me two weeks after owning it. I followed all the directions on breaking in the engine. I use stihl's one shot with a gallon. I have been mixing gas for 7 years. Never a problem. In fact I continued to run the same mix in my other stihls. Stihl rebuilt it and it happened again 3 months ago. I was even more particular about my mixture after the first incident. Stihl fixed it again and I just got it back today. I shouldn't have to walk on eggshells with an 880. Advise please. Thanks

They are set up lean from the factory to pass emissions same as the 660. Remove the limiter cap from the high-speed needle (furthest away from cylinder), and richen it up until it runs at 11400 rpm full-throttle with no load, bar and chain on. Cheers.

Here's what I would do. Run a mix no thinner than 40:1, and preferably 32:1 Also, open up the muffler by putting at least a 3/4"- 7/8" pipe on the exhaust port of the muffler. The pipe can even be on the inside so you can keep the spark arrester arrangement.
I believe that running 32:1 will solve your problem . The muffler job will give at least 15% more power, torque and HP, plus it will run cooler, thus increasing life of your saw.
Hope this helps,
John

Hey gypo, can you buy these pipe setups or do you just modify them your self?

Some pictures would be awsome mate

Stihl does make a "jungle muffler", for the 088, but it is unavailable in North America. The only difference being the internal pipe as shown. I believe you can get it in Australia or Brazil.The part # is 1124 145 2900 . My 088 has an external custom pipe about 7/8", however just taking the 4 bolts out and removing or modifying the plate would accomplish the same thing. Here's a scan of the two muffler arrangements. I'll take a pic of my muffler tomorrow.
088muffler.jpg

John

Latest posts

Back