Stihl ms201t value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer 87

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A somewhat local pawn shop has a supposed clean good running ms201t there asking 260$ is that fair? I know the 200t seems to be a golden egg, but I dont know about a 201t.

That is a good price of all is in working order. Very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It took Stihl some time to get the MS201T working right and early units were downright loathed by customers accustomed to the 020T/MS200T. General distrust for M-Tronic hasn't helped the saw's reputation either.
At least here it's a saw dealers struggle to shift when brand new, but with MS200T's being thinned by attriction and no Husqvarna dealership nearby there isn't really much choice. As good as Echo/Shindaiwa top handles are, they aren't in the same league as the pro ones from Stihl and Husqvarna. And the local Shindaiwa dealer is a git anyway. :laugh:

I am not saying the saw is good or bad: it's a top of the line pro grade top handle arborist saw and as such in a different ballpark from the top handles I usually deal with. But it built up a negative reputation which, despite Stihl's efforts, it is struggling to shake off, hence the need for sellers to go down a long way.

A somewhat local pawn shop has a supposed clean good running ms201t there asking 260$ is that fair? I know the 200t seems to be a golden egg, but I dont know about a 201t.
Go take a peek at it if you "need" a top handle, and if it looks good grab it.
Which version, the later version with the mtronic is a little beast of a saw. The early model with a standard carb is what put a bad taste in peoples mouths, and caused many to abandon team stihl and go orange, both shades of orange husky 540xp and echo 355.
For the standard carb model, if it will fire up and once warm it doesn't bog bad off idle it's all good and nothing "needed", but can be modded to perform much better. For the mtronic version you can grab it and run it, or you can mod the muffler and the timing and it will give it a bump in power.
The new mtronic 201 has been a game changer for that model and it will run right with the 200 no problem. The 200 can be serviced by anyone, but the 201 will need to be dealer serviced if a problem arrises. I have two 241's and they have been very dependable for quite some time now, but as I stated if there are problems they will most likely be at the dealer to get scanned :(.

Ok have no need for it at all. I was really thinking resale, but it is an hour away. May not be any meat left on the bone

Maybe not, but it depends on which version.
You can't tell them apart from the recoil side that I'm aware of.
Here's the 201c mtronic(same as the top handle version), no holes for the carb.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 9.55.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 9.55.06 AM.png
    830.1 KB · Views: 14

In just a few words--the 201T is the reason for all the crazy prices for an 020T/200T.
Strange and sad that Stihl changed virtually every part of one of the best chainsaws ever produced.
Just Google "Problems with Stihl 201T"

In just a few words--the 201T is the reason for all the crazy prices for an 020T/200T.
Strange and sad that Stihl changed virtually every part of one of the best chainsaws ever produced.
That's how most legends are created, 346, 372, 440, there's one or two more lol.
Then they eventually work the bugs, unfortunately by that time they have lost some of the market share.
The 201 mtronic is a great saw, as is the 201 with the timing advanced, exhaust mod and the carb limiters removed, that is if you remember they are tiny saws.

And those problems don't apply to current production saws. The 201T ran horrible when it first came out, but that was years ago. Even then, they can be made to out perform a 200T with a 20-30 minutes of work. I've modded hundreds of them.

Is this the one in Springfield? If you get it, let us know what you think of it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It is the one in Springfield, I'm probably not gonna bother like I said it wasn't to keep as I have a few poulan super 25s one with a climbers ring. Honestly I haven't run a top handle I thot would take a sharply tuned super 25

Back