Stihl Ms230 service tips etc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fil261

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just purchased an old stihl ms230. Haven't picked it up yet, the photos look like it needs a good clean up and service.

Just looking for some advice really if where to start with self servicing it, what problems to look out for etc.

Fairly new to chainsaws/engines, however don't mind taking apart stuff and learning as I go along.

Main use will be for fire wood so nothing major.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

If it's in good working order I would clean it up good with compressed air, take a look at the spark plug, and clean the air filter. After that just keep your chain sharp and don't let your pre-mix get too much age on it.

If there are any issues with it that is the time to look into other things.

Thanks for a quick reply! So just clean it up externally? Is it not worth taking it apart to give it a "deep clean" at this stage? The exhaust looks a bit rusty, is this normal? Thanks.

Some surface rust is normal for saws kept out in an out building. You can disassemble to clean as much as you want, but no matter what some here might tell you it's not necessary. Pull the clutch cover and bar and blow everything off with air.

Back