Stihl Ms241c-m fuel mixture "441 cm"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheldon1112

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey i have a stihl ms 241 and it has gone through about 10 tanks of petrol so far, so its still sorta running in and reasonly as iam not cutting up firewood it is just delimbing its not working as hard, when you come to rev it up after it has gone onto idle for a few seconds it bogs down and seems hesitant. Once you get it reving its fantastic. I know not many have this chainsaw but i was wondering if the 441cm's do these if the mixture is to strong. All my other stihls perform brilliant on the petrol which is about 40 - 1, i measure 50 - 1 in a jug then i pour in some more oil for good luck. So depending what you say i thinking about making a seperate container of fuel just for the 241 and only giving the saw exactly 50 - 1.
Cheers guys

I really wish I had one so that I could answer your question, or at least tell you how mine acts. I do not think those symptoms are a result of your mix ratio though. Perhaps MCW may chime in, he's an Australian member that has done a write up on the saw.

Do the one minute calibration first and foremost with the fuel that you are going to use and then try it. Do you have a muffler modd on it or not?

That bogging at the beginning of a cut sometimes and sometimes not. It seems that it is adjusting from light work to heavy cutting. I get it sometimes and sometimes not, when dropping a 441 into a big tree top after limbing the log up to that point.

Another time you can get this happening is when you have just started the saw and then go right to heavy cutting, it will bog for about 1" of a big log and then just rip up to speed.

I think the computer is figuring out the right mix, so ................. its going from idle or light limbing work and then you drop it into a heavy log and it is making adjustments.

Its different for sure, but one thing that makes me "feel good" about it, is it is always running rich, so you won't burn up a piston/cylinder from being lean, I've yet to ever catch the computer making the saw lean, mine always are running rich, which gives great torque for working ......... not so good for cookie cutting races.

I'm running 50:1 Amsoil Saber, but sometimes if there isn't enough in the bottle to finish out a 5 gallon jug, it might be 65:1 or 80:1 and I don't have any problems with longevity or tuning. I'm not against heavier ratio's, just haven't personally seen where 50-80:1 on Amsoil Saber was a problem.

But I don't think its fuel, because, I get that slight hesitation on whatever gas I'm using. I think the calibration will be your best bet for now, let us know if that fixes it, as I'm interested in if that fixes it for you. I'm not getting it too bad or much at all with the saws once they are calibrated.

Later,

Sam

The chainsaw is standard and i havnt touched anything since its still pretty new, and i use the red stihl oil as i do in my other 260,s and none cm 441. The chainsaw hesitates before it even touches the wood, sometimes if u pull the trigger too fast the chain wont move and the engine changes tune and puffs a slight haze of smoke as if to much fuel/oil is being injected and it doesnt know what to do with it at low rpms and then after a second it picks up and kicks off abit like it has turbo lag lol. And it does smoke from cold but all my stihls do when there first started up but it goes away once its warm, thats why iam not sure if there is too much oil in the petrol as i would have though it would smoke all the time even when its warm if the mixture was too rich.
How do you calibrate the chainsaw, because i thought its on board computer does that every time you start the saw.

Hello sheldon.

Sam is correct you need to recalibrate the system.

With that said anytime you change the oil to fuel ratio, you change the way the fuel combusts. Because of this it's best to pick a ratio and stick with it, adding a little extra oil is an inaccurate way to mix fuel. I suggest you buy a Ratio Rite cup, you can find them at most motorcycle shops.

Last edited:
Your problem is the lack of calibration. I had one that wouldn't hardly start or idle right after its first starting/firing (started it for the first time), I immediately took the bar off and did the calibration and have probably 30+ hours on that saw now with zero starting issue from it.

To do the one minute calibration you:

1. Take the bar and chain off (Stihl says to put the clutch cover back on ....... I don't know why you would do that except for some safety reason)

2. Push the Starter Switch all the way down to the third position.

3. Pull the rope until it starts (Usually 1-2 pulls)

4. Sit it down or hold it for 1 minute without touching the trigger/throttle or anything just let it do its thing for 1+ minute. (I clean or flip the bar and chain, and time it on my cell phone)

5. After one minute, quickly lift the switch to the off position .......... turning it off.

6. Re-install the bar and chain and enjoy crisp, fast throttle response and easy starts. Usually the idle is smoother and it has more torque and smoother rpms up higher 9,000+ rpms in the cut.

That is how I do it.

Sam

My 441c does not hesitate at all with 9 tanks through it.

Like a regular, manually tuned saw, that is tuned right for your temperature, elevation and fuel it just runs right out of the box. Great...

But sometimes there are variables that aren't accounted for at the factory or that just can't be forseen, and thats where the local calibration comes in.

That said, there are few times that I have calibrated mine and some of the other's saws and they didn't do better, so you might as well do the calibration, because it won't run worse, and could likely get better at the idle and more power at higher rpms.

Sam

Cheers for that information Sam ill try that next time i go home. I forgot to say earlier when i bought the saw in late november it started between first and 2nd pull i couldnt believe how good it started compared to my 4 other stihl as they allways seem to take 4 - 6 pull from cold and they have been like tht from new, but they allways start liike.
But after a few days of using it so about 4 tanks it took more pulls to start then the others " upto 7" and its not like the petrol went off at all, and i use the shell v power stuff. I just blamed it on the saw bedding in and lossing abit of compression,

but i think your right it just needs recalibration, thanks guys :)

I have a 241. The calibration did nothing for mine, but it's sounds like yours needs it bad. I made lots of consistent cuts and it ran better and better. It starts second pull ice cold and half pull hot. I run 50:1 with vp purple. Do a muff mod it is much stronger after.

I have done the 60 second calibration a few timesover this week and it seems no better, it starts abit easier but it still hesitates quite abit. My 180 started playing up today it wouldnt idle, but i noticed excessive oil on the exhaust so i think i must have mis judged the oil mix ratio. So ill make some fresh up to 50 -1 and ill let you know how i get on in a few days time:).

Just found this thread.
A few days have passed lol.
Hows the saw doing on the 50:1.
Did it solve your problem.
Can you give a long term overall opinion/update on the saw.
Looking to buy one for my son.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back