Stihl MS241c-m, push the buy button or reconsider?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plus 30+ plus on the cm241 it may be the best little saw made ...i am looking for a new version after selling the used perfect running saw i had .... :oops:..the husqvarna 346xp is the only other small little saw i would say that about ....however its a size up on power and weight ...
Are they still making rear handled 201? Preferably 201CM?
If I had to, I’d run my 201TC for limbing on the ground, but I’d much rather have a rear handled saw.

Are they still making rear handled 201? Preferably 201CM?
If I had to, I’d run my 201TC for limbing on the ground, but I’d much rather have a rear handled saw.

They still make the 201 in both versions, I already have this one so I would not spend that kind of money buying another similar one.
Not run in yet, not magnesium but it doesn't weigh as much as the 201 either:

At Stihl Germany there is absolutely no indication that they have stopped making or selling the 241.
https://www.stihl.de/de/p/kettensaegen-motorsaegen-ms-241-1902#c-m-1902It makes no difference to me however - I got one ;)
If you thinking about getting parts for it I can still order original Stihl parts for my copycat 038/381, so I don't worry too much about that.

Other than that Makita have officially said they will stop selling petrol saws, but they don't say anything about Dolmar - which is still a separate company name.

The Echo 390 is a sweet saw, tenacious and with a high chain speed. Very nicely shaped aluminum front handle bar too.
You got a nice saw there, am no fan of mt or at, but the 241 has stood the test of time so far,
only ever heard of solenoid giving up, and its not expensive to replace, they have a white updated
one for them now.
Is the chain and bar narrow kerf on them, I might indulge myself after I sell on a few saws that parts are
no longer available for, EA4300, impossible to get crank bearings for them or the Dolmar counterpart,
the seal is part of the bearing, OEM only.
And yes, parts for the older Stihls you mention can be got, but thats because they sold in vast numbers
all over the world, aftermarket know this too, no point in making parts for saws that did not sell in large
numbers and are now discontinued, different story for the Makita Dolmars that did sell in large numbers,
plenty of parts for them.

They still make the 201 in both versions, I already have this one so I would not spend that kind of money buying another similar one.
Not run in yet, not magnesium but it doesn't weigh as much as the 201 either:

Nice little saw, I had three of 501SX models, Echo can make a good product.

Nice little saw, I had three of 501SX models, Echo can make a good product.
Its proper quality, 501 is exceptional being a 50cc at the weight of a 40cc.
I liked how my modded 360T turned out, I guess it is now everything I wanted it to be.
What I see in the 241 is a tougher saw with a classic chainsaw layout, no modding - just a solid tool that does the job.
As for the Dolmars I think we have yet to see what the future brings, if they are shut down by Makita? - I doubt it.
But Dolmar only makes the bigger saws themselves, thats 50cc and up, everything else is made in China it seems.
Anyway, I doubt that the crank bearings and seals - even for the 420, is no longer to be found "forever".
Consider the last few years with the sunbug, these are difficult times for delivery.

If you can find Crank Seals for a Makita EA4300 / Dolmar 421 let me know
because I can't find them.
I recently got some parts for my EA3200 from this site, the parts was sendt directly from Germany.
The crank ball bearing/seal is nr.68 at the parts diagram, seems pretty much available to me:
https://www.partshopdirect.co.uk/makita-ea4300f-outdoor-petrol-chainsaw-spare-parts-s18867/https://www.partshopdirect.co.uk/makita-ball-bearing-6201-p211494-6/
A nice muffler mod and your 241 will be a puller.
I got the same advice on my 5105, it don't need it though...
no, I am not buying a brand new saw at this cost with a warranty from the store, just to mess it all up.

You got a nice saw there, am no fan of mt or at, but the 241 has stood the test of time so far,
only ever heard of solenoid giving up, and its not expensive to replace, they have a white updated
one for them now.
This is wrong information. The white valve is not to be used with the MS 241. Use the green one, but not the white one. From time to time guys say this, but it is not right!! Always talk to your dealer what can be used.

Yes I guess over at your side of the pond most people would go for a 261 at about the same cost and with only a small weight increase, and with the added torque and power that comes with it. Well here in smallwoodville they are advertised at every Stihl dealer all the time, so very much alive and kickin' over here it seems.

I've looked at it for about 2 years now, there really is'nt much alternatives if you want a chainsaw with a magnesium casing in the 40cc class at that weight. There is the Dolmar 420 but its not that much lighter than my 5105, and there is the Husqvarna/Zenoah 543 but its not quite as lightweight as the 241 and it have not been equally popular for some reason it seems. Echo have the 390esx and I allmost bought one at some point but I wasnt completely happy with how it felt in my hands, I guess some like pork and some like cattle on their dinner plate.

Anyway, I did push the button.
And there is something about that nice young lady who drives her little red postal van all the way to my door for the delivery, I don't mind her being a little late for christmas.
View attachment 950353

I work volunteer Hurricane and tornado disaster relief. I am usually in the bucket with my personal saws, an MS241 and a 200T. Occasionally we have very little bucket work and I work on the ground with saws from the trailer. Occasionally it works out where I don’t have my personal saws and am stuck with what’s in the trailer. The trailer is now filled mostly with new Stihls. I have used the MS261 and MS462. The 462 is a Hoss and worth dealing with the added weight. The 261 OTOH won’t hold a candle to my 241. My 241 will out cut it any day of the week and do it while handling noticeably less weight.

I have been in the bucket more than once with nothing but my two small saws and come up on a big cut and suggested by someone on the ground that they go get me a big saw from the trailer. When that happens I tell them “lets see how this one does first.” Every time that happens, by the time I get halfway through the cut they either turn and walk off or stay and admit that I am right.

For the OP if you can find a 241, buy it, you’ll like it.

I work volunteer Hurricane and tornado disaster relief. I am usually in the bucket with my personal saws, an MS241 and a 200T. Occasionally we have very little bucket work and I work on the ground with saws from the trailer. Occasionally it works out where I don’t have my personal saws and am stuck with what’s in the trailer. The trailer is now filled mostly with new Stihls. I have used the MS261 and MS462. The 462 is a Hoss and worth dealing with the added weight. The 261 OTOH won’t hold a candle to my 241. My 241 will out cut it any day of the week and do it while handling noticeably less weight.

I have been in the bucket more than once with nothing but my two small saws and come up on a big cut and suggested by someone on the ground that they go get me a big saw from the trailer. When that happens I tell them “lets see how this one does first.” Every time that happens, by the time I get halfway through the cut they either turn and walk off or stay and admit that I am right.

For the OP if you can find a 241, buy it, you’ll like it.
Thanks for your feedback sir.
That's exactly what I want, a lightweight pro saw that I can rely on and use for just about anything.
It seems to me this is the best saw ever made in its class.

Anyway, I have already bought it.
But I called the store yesterday and they are really busy at the moment so I will probably need to wait a week or so for it to arrive.
I'm really looking forward to finally try it out.

If it’s half as good as mine, you will be very happy with it. One of the things that makes it work is that it is the most powerful saw that takes the narrow chain. The narrow cut requires less power for the cut that it makes. I fully expect that it has enough power to pull the wider chain, but if you want the real performance from it use the 3/8” picco, .050”. chain. I have a Japanese 16” extra light bar and the narrow chain. I believe the narrow chain is part of the combination that makes it almost magic.

I tried looking up the bar and chain part numbers, but the current USA bar and chain chart doesn’t list the MS241 since it’s no longer available in the USA. I THINK that the numbers are as follows:

Bar. 3005 0008 4813. Type R
Chain. 63PCM3-55

These are the bar/chains that are used on the small saws like the 201T, or whatever the current commercial top handle model is. If they ship them the same as they did in the US, this is the bar and chain that will come with it if it’s a 16” bar.

I personally use the light weight bar because I am trying to cut every ounce of weight I possibly can because I use it in the bucket. If I were to be in a situation where I only used it on the ground I probably wouldn’t bother with the lightweight bar.

I see, it uses a narrower chain than the 50cc's. It makes sense that would provide some magic at 2,3kw or 3,1 donkey power.
The standard guide bar (that comes with it) is noted to be 35cm, thats 13,8" or basically a 14" bar. It's a "Rollomatic E" at 1,3mm/.050, but it's difficult to find exactly wich one of the "Rollomatic E" it is as there seems to be many variants, the provided number doesnt provide an ansver: https://www.stihl.com/Search.aspx?q=Rollomatic E
The standard chain is Picco Super (PS), 3/8" P 1,3mm/.050: https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...2167-63680/Picco-Super-(PS)-3-8-P-1-3-mm.aspx
"Apart from the 3/8" PS3 chain, it's the only Picco full chisel tooth chain on the market. Significantly better cutting performance than all other available low-profile saw chains with a 1.3 mm drive link. Even greater boring performance that the 3/8" PS3 saw chain. Smooth cutting with 15% less vibration. Excellent biting performance; produces a very clean cutting surface. The chain's high cutting performance make is ideal for professional forestry applications."

If it’s half as good as mine, you will be very happy with it. One of the things that makes it work is that it is the most powerful saw that takes the narrow chain. The narrow cut requires less power for the cut that it makes. I fully expect that it has enough power to pull the wider chain, but if you want the real performance from it use the 3/8” picco, .050”. chain. I have a Japanese 16” extra light bar and the narrow chain. I believe the narrow chain is part of the combination that makes it almost magic.

I tried looking up the bar and chain part numbers, but the current USA bar and chain chart doesn’t list the MS241 since it’s no longer available in the USA. I THINK that the numbers are as follows:

Bar. 3005 0008 4813. Type R
Chain. 63PCM3-55

These are the bar/chains that are used on the small saws like the 201T, or whatever the current commercial top handle model is. If they ship them the same as they did in the US, this is the bar and chain that will come with it if it’s a 16” bar.

I personally use the light weight bar because I am trying to cut every ounce of weight I possibly can because I use it in the bucket. If I were to be in a situation where I only used it on the ground I probably wouldn’t bother with the lightweight bar.
Yesterday I was was cutting cordwood and getting a cord per tank of fuel from my 241.

Yesterday I was was cutting cordwood and getting a cord per tank of fuel from my 241.
What is a cord? Years ago I went to the library and it was a pile of round four foot long logs eight feet at 90 degrees to the logs and four feet high. Perhaps this is from the railroad days of using wood. When I joined here there was a thread in the firewood section about the legal description now with consumer protection and it was the same volume but no matter the size in length or splits the consumer could re stack it to their best ability and come out with the sane 128 cubic feet. So are we talking sort of straight five inch diameter four footers or what? I guess 6000 pounds for a green cord is sort of fair in my estimation, are you making 16" pieces. I have in the past bought tree length tri axle or 22 wheel semi rigs of non lumber grade. Can't say I remember how much fuel that Husky 51 used but do remember there were lots of wheelbarrows full of sawdust at the end. How many wheelbarrows of sawdust per tank? :) Now or at least this year I start with whole trees and make brush piles as well as 16 inch rounds.

What is a cord? Years ago I went to the library and it was a pile of round four foot long logs eight feet at 90 degrees to the logs and four feet high. Perhaps this is from the railroad days of using wood. When I joined here there was a thread in the firewood section about the legal description now with consumer protection and it was the same volume but no matter the size in length or splits the consumer could re stack it to their best ability and come out with the sane 128 cubic feet. So are we talking sort of straight five inch diameter four footers or what? I guess 6000 pounds for a green cord is sort of fair in my estimation, are you making 16" pieces. I have in the past bought tree length tri axle or 22 wheel semi rigs of non lumber grade. Can't say I remember how much fuel that Husky 51 used but do remember there were lots of wheelbarrows full of sawdust at the end. How many wheelbarrows of sawdust per tank? :) Now or at least this year I start with whole trees and make brush piles as well as 16 inch rounds.
16x4x2 is a cord stacked.

Firewood cord measurments.png

So are the pieces four feet long or two feet long used in making the full cord that can be cut with one gasoline tank full of the MS241?

one third cord Fran style resized.jpg
Here is my one third of a cord circa 2021. the pieces of the rack are 8', 34" and 42" 2"x4" and random 1" for the vertical. firewood is attempted to be 16". Obviously this rack came from the splitting with no rounds. Lone Wolf and Del_ might know what is killing the oak trees, some of them, I don't believe it is the gypsy moth which seems a common thing to blame.

As for post 1. You could wait and see if they make a fuel injected saw on that bar. I got the MS251 when the official line was no 241 would be coming to this country. It shares some parts. I have the 6 tooth picco sprocket, the Stihl mini spline clutch and 7 tooth picco 3/8 sprocket, 7 tooth .325, an Oregon small spline drum with 7 tooth .325 and 1/4 sprockets in 9 and 10 tooth. So there is a lot of experimenting potential.

Latest posts

Back