Stihl MS241c-m, push the buy button or reconsider?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I was was cutting cordwood and getting a cord per tank of fuel from my 241.
Yes, the little guy is indeed fuel efficient on top of everything else. One could say “what the heck? How much fuel can A chainsaw use anyway? “ The thing is if you’re on a job it’s not as much about the money spent on fuel although, if you’re using high octane or avgas along with premium oil, you might be looking at $6.00 a gallon or so, but no one likes stopping to refill or worse yet, running out of gas at the job site. It’s fuel efficiency is a nice side benefit.

So are the pieces four feet long or two feet long used in making the full cord that can be cut with one gasoline tank full of the MS241?

View attachment 952474
Here is my one third of a cord circa 2021. the pieces of the rack are 8', 34" and 42" 2"x4" and random 1" for the vertical. firewood is attempted to be 16". Obviously this rack came from the splitting with no rounds. Lone Wolf and Del_ might know what is killing the oak trees, some of them, I don't believe it is the gypsy moth which seems a common thing to blame.

As for post 1. You could wait and see if they make a fuel injected saw on that bar. I got the MS251 when the official line was no 241 would be coming to this country. It shares some parts. I have the 6 tooth picco sprocket, the Stihl mini spline clutch and 7 tooth picco 3/8 sprocket, 7 tooth .325, an Oregon small spline drum with 7 tooth .325 and 1/4 sprockets in 9 and 10 tooth. So there is a lot of experimenting potential.
I had a 025 on my workbench with worn out crank seals - it looked like it had been at Omaha Beach D day.
I was impressed how it ran and at the throttle response.

I've actually avoided this one until now, the price tag gave me some sort of resentment.
But I realize now that I would save a lot of money just buying this one to start with, because I would not need to buy any other saw after that.
The weight feels considerable less than with my 50cc, I have not tried it yet but am just very happy with it already. Everything I ever wanted.

Tag says 05.2021.
RIMG0004.JPG RIMG0007.JPG
RIMG0016.JPG RIMG0017.JPG
Inside clutch :happybanana:
RIMG0020.JPG RIMG0025.JPG

Closely inspected by the quality control supervisor for sharp things, it's approved.
RIMG0031.JPG RIMG0032.JPG

RIMG0026.JPG

If you don't mind what did it cost you out the door?
Thanks
The list price for the 241 here in smallwoodville calculated with the present currency of hobbit money is the equivalent of about 849 USD - at the shelf.
I bought it at a christmas offer at the equivalent of 747 USD, and with a 12 month payment schedule and delivered to my door the full cost is about 849 USD.

Your pictures show the 6 tooth spur sprocket. I will suggest getting the 7 tooth rim set up and re evaluate perfect.
I'm not needing more than the 14" bar so I guess I could try the 7 tooth rim.
Seemed to cut really nicely already though, I'll keep it like this for a while at least so it gets a gentle as possible start in life.

I think what amazed me most, except that it actually keeps on running with the choke on till youre ready, the throttle response was nice - not quicker than my 5105 but it also responded just as quickly while "in the wood" which is pretty amazing with a small saw such as this, is that; The weight difference from a though 50cc forestry saw down to this one isn't that much on paper, but to me that small difference made all the difference in the world.
I love my 5105, its comfortable, compact, responsive and powerful, but it tires me out pretty quickly. So the result of that is that I have a number of smaller lightweight saws - in a variety of quality and sizes, so that I dont need to carry around that 50cc all the time.
Well today I cut some logs that took most of the bar that I have cut down with the 5105 and some small spruce trees that I dont want them to grow up, these are small - perhaps 5", soft and quick to cut but there are a myriad of branches and it means you wave the saw around quite a bit - my Echo 280T would handle that perfectly, but I just did not miss any of my other saws at all.

With a 14” bar that thing must rip !! I have an 18” on mine just so I don’t have to bend so much.
I am used to short bars so I dont use any longer than I need for the wood, but I have put a 18" on my 50cc now and it will be a dedicated felling saw.
I probably won't need it much now though...

If it’s half as good as mine, you will be very happy with it. One of the things that makes it work is that it is the most powerful saw that takes the narrow chain. The narrow cut requires less power for the cut that it makes. I fully expect that it has enough power to pull the wider chain, but if you want the real performance from it use the 3/8” picco, .050”. chain. I have a Japanese 16” extra light bar and the narrow chain. I believe the narrow chain is part of the combination that makes it almost magic.

I tried looking up the bar and chain part numbers, but the current USA bar and chain chart doesn’t list the MS241 since it’s no longer available in the USA. I THINK that the numbers are as follows:

Bar. 3005 0008 4813. Type R
Chain. 63PCM3-55

These are the bar/chains that are used on the small saws like the 201T, or whatever the current commercial top handle model is. If they ship them the same as they did in the US, this is the bar and chain that will come with it if it’s a 16” bar.

I personally use the light weight bar because I am trying to cut every ounce of weight I possibly can because I use it in the bucket. If I were to be in a situation where I only used it on the ground I probably wouldn’t bother with the lightweight bar.
Recently acquired a 201…. Interested weight of your 16 versus OEM 12/14? And brand name of Japanese bar?Thanks!

Back