Stihl MS250 clutch / oiler smoke, thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skittles93

Reaction score
Howdy,

Ive been ghosting this site for a few years but I cant seem to find a post regarding the problem im having, anyhow... I was running my 250 today to fell a 14 DBH Pin Oak and it started pouring smoke from the chain sprocket cover area. Oiler is working fine and it was ok on smaller bay laurels a few hours later. Any thoughts on whats smoking and how to fix would be much appreciated. Saw is about 8 months old with no more than 40 hours on it, sharpened a week ago.

Thanks!!

Look closely at the space between the muffler and the chain bar, if the plug is missing out of a small oil port located there then oil will leak out onto the hot muffler and man o mam will it smoke.

I was thinking that it could be bar oil but I was holding the saw so that the muffler was above the oiler, i.e. the gas and oil fills were facing the sky and the sprocket cover the ground. I will take a look to see if that plug is still there though.

You seem to be one of those guys that bogs the chain into a big piece of wood and keeps trying to goose the throttle over and over to get the chain to turn. This slips the clutch and smokes things. Keep it up and you will ruin something.

@rupedoggy Unlikely to be user error, but thanks for checking. I guess Ill try taking it apart, im not a small engine mechanic so I was hoping someone would have a quick fix, oh well.

I was thinking that it could be bar oil but I was holding the saw so that the muffler was above the oiler, i.e. the gas and oil fills were facing the sky and the sprocket cover the ground. I will take a look to see if that plug is still there though.

That passage/port is the oil delivery from the bar oil pump to the bar pad, it will puke oil even if the saw is held with the bar pointing skyward as long as the engine is running. Hope its just something simple and not a hole melted into the case itself.

I bought a Stihl MS250 and have found it to be an extreme smoker. It seems to run nicely until I run it sideways to remove a stump. After keeping my saw for 2 1/2 weeks the Dealership where I bought the saw (Brazos Valley Equipment in Ennis, TX) said they couldn't duplicate the smoking and claimed the issue was user-error. But that's wrong because I use my other saws the exact same way without creating a billowing cloud. Then, BVE actually charged me $80 for service even though I only requested warranty work (the saw was still new).

I tried to complain directly to Stihl, but they sent me back to BVE. The next time I tried to cut a stump, I sent a video to BVE to prove the issue and told them I wanted to report their negligence to Stihl. So, their manager went directly to Stihl 'on my behalf'. Reportedly Stihl said I was using a dull chain - again that's inaccurate because I've barely used the saw at all and it was already on it's second Still branded chain!

Then, I took the saw to a dealer that specializes in small lawn equipment (as opposed to mega tractors). There I was told the MS250 is inadequate for that type of work, and that it isn't capable of being run sideways for any extended amount of time. They recommend that I buy a MS291 or MS391 instead, if I plan to cut out more stumps.

BTW I also own a Stihl MS193T top-handle saw that I love - use it for bucking, pruning and when I'm climbing. But otherwise my Husquvarna 435 has been more durable than the MS250 and my Craftsman brand 20" 50cc (Poulan made I do believe) saw offers way more dollar value than the MS250 (although the Craftsman has been prone to throwing chains).

I'll use the 250 for simple uses (only because I've already paid for it), but I'll do more homework before dropping any more cash on an 'affordable' Stihl product.

FWIW I can't imagine it's healthy to inhale all that smoke and it's kinda embarrassing to create a fog when trying to look professional. lol

Attachments

• MS250_smoker.mov
    8.8 MB · Views: 17
I bought a Stihl MS250 and have found it to be an extreme smoker. It seems to run nicely until I run it sideways to remove a stump. After keeping my saw for 2 1/2 weeks the Dealership where I bought the saw (Brazos Valley Equipment in Ennis, TX) said they couldn't duplicate the smoking and claimed the issue was user-error. But that's wrong because I use my other saws the exact same way without creating a billowing cloud. Then, BVE actually charged me $80 for service even though I only requested warranty work (the saw was still new).

I tried to complain directly to Stihl, but they sent me back to BVE. The next time I tried to cut a stump, I sent a video to BVE to prove the issue and told them I wanted to report their negligence to Stihl. So, their manager went directly to Stihl 'on my behalf'. Reportedly Stihl said I was using a dull chain - again that's inaccurate because I've barely used the saw at all and it was already on it's second Still branded chain!

Then, I took the saw to a dealer that specializes in small lawn equipment (as opposed to mega tractors). There I was told the MS250 is inadequate for that type of work, and that it isn't capable of being run sideways for any extended amount of time. They recommend that I buy a MS291 or MS391 instead, if I plan to cut out more stumps.

BTW I also own a Stihl MS193T top-handle saw that I love - use it for bucking, pruning and when I'm climbing. But otherwise my Husquvarna 435 has been more durable than the MS250 and my Craftsman brand 20" 50cc (Poulan made I do believe) saw offers way more dollar value than the MS250 (although the Craftsman has been prone to throwing chains).

I'll use the 250 for simple uses (only because I've already paid for it), but I'll do more homework before dropping any more cash on an 'affordable' Stihl product.

FWIW I can't imagine it's healthy to inhale all that smoke and it's kinda embarrassing to create a fog when trying to look professional. lol

Your chain is dull and not cutting worth a lick.

Yep, it should have thrown out chips instead of dust. A dull chain is hard on everything including the user..Those saws aren't necessarily known for excessive oiling so you need to keep the chain and bar in good cutting condition. I put a 3/8 Low Profile chain on mine and it seemed to cut better than the .325.

You have got to be Yanking our chains!!!

To the OP
You may have cooked your springs.
Did anyone else use it? If the chain brake was on and It was on a fast choke idle or racing up for what ever reason. Maybe you have a fast idle and leave the brake on? Is it dusty black? Also make sure nothing could possibly be dragging or binding under chain cover by the brake or the brake band.
Does the chain spin around freely when the saw is off? Start with that.

To the OP,

These saws cut by running the chain fast! Due to the small engine size they have no torque! Smoke comes from excess heat developed in the clutch by slipping... Just like your manual transmission car.

Trying to cut with a dull chain and/or forcing the saw to cut more than it can handle (bogging) WILL cause clutch slippage, smoke, and eventually melt the main case housing - what my dealer called a "Chernobyl Meltdown Stihl"! This is totally preventable user error.

I recently made several cuts through the trunk of a downed 25" willow oak with a similar saw (025) with a 16" bar on it. It didn't cut fast but it finished with no smoke involved!

"Jerry" is Jerry Lewis. It was a long time ago but he thought he was funny. Then he did some telethons and thought he could stay up for three days. Then we found out he and perkadan were best friends. His kid had a band called "Gary and the Playboys". One of his hits was everybody loves a clown, and this chainsaw doesn't shine for me anymore (too smoked up). Harley you are going to have to figure this stuff out without asking all the time LOL. Mike

Latest posts

Back