Stihl MS250 for $299.00 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepwoodbigbear

Just get me close
Reaction score
I was at the local Stihl dealer and saw the MS250 w/18" on sale for $299. I am thinking real hard why I shouldn't pick one up. I know it's a HO saw, but I would mostly use it to clean up smaller limbs. Probably would replace my MS180 (which has given me zero problems). What would a 2 year old MS180 be worth?

Any Thoughts?

Brad is giving you good advice. A 421 isn't much more than $300. It's a much much nicer saw than the ms250. Nicer in every way.

I've put many tanks through mine. No need for a local dealer. Nate, ford150 is a great guy. Nate on the phone and sending parts through the mail is a much better dealer than my Stihl dealer on Main Street. I wish that wasn't the case, but my local guys blow pretty hard.

I had the same 421 vs 250 wrestling match. Liked the 421 but dealer is 1.5 hours away. Didn't know of fordf150 at the time. My Stihl dealer is outstanding, gave him the business. Happy with the saw so far (although not a ton of use yet). No regrets on my decision although I'd really like an opportunity to work out a 421.

I vote 421. Mine is outstanding. I was not impressed with my friend's 250. I don't worry about a dealer close by even though one is 30 min away. I have had each of my saws prior to these for at least 6-7 years, and my favorite been cutting with for all 22 years. I have purchased 1 av mount and 2 air filters in that time besides bars and chains which are not brand specific. I don't worry about having parts in my back yard.

I had the same 421 vs 250 wrestling match. Liked the 421 but dealer is 1.5 hours away. Didn't know of fordf150 at the time. My Stihl dealer is outstanding, gave him the business. Happy with the saw so far (although not a ton of use yet). No regrets on my decision although I'd really like an opportunity to work out a 421.

I'm mostly being a wise@$$ here, but if you're happy with your ms250 purchase, I'd strongly advise you not to try cutting with a 421. Ignorance is bliss, right?

;)

I'm mostly being a wise@$$ here, but if you're happy with your ms250 purchase, I'd strongly advise you not to try cutting with a 421. Ignorance is bliss, right?

;)
I'm ok with learning I made the wrong decision. Just would like to make that decision from running the saw, not based on the internet. No interest in "ignorance is bliss".
ng

I do know this, if you were happy with a MS180 you'll be ecstatic with an MS250. I've had all kinds of saws pro and homeowner and I keep an MS250 and a 390 for my firewood cutting. I have others too but I enjoy running the 250 the most, so far..

I'm ok with learning I made the wrong decision. Just would like to make that decision from running the saw, not based on the internet. No interest in "ignorance is bliss".
ng

Good perspective. After all, the internet isn't always right. My neighbor has cut all her wood (2-4 cords/year) with her 025 for about 20 years now. If my 421 holds up as well as her saw, I'll be very pleased. :)

The Stihl homeowner saws I have, the 250, 290 and 390 can be rebuilt over and over until parts run out which looks to be a long time. All these saws have been rebuilt at least once. If you break the engine case you can even change it..

I don't consider the ms250 to be a "homeowner" saw...not even for a second, despite Stihls labeling. I use them daily for carvings and I beat the living hell out of them. I have full confidence when I'm running one hard that it will not quit, for years of full time use. I have less confidence in many of my "pro" Stihls to be honest. I've fried a ms661, a ms150 and a 201 within the last two years.....all the while there was extremely higher amount of hours put on the three ms250's I currently own.

025/ms250 is a solid saw. I sell quite a few of them and they get used and used quite often. Dealer support is also a selling feature.

I call the 250 a homeowner saw because Stihl calls them that in their ads. I think they do well even against other saws that aren't homeowner saws. I imagine my 250 will stay with my 026 and I'm pretty sure it'll outdo my 024. Don't know if the latter two have something wrong with them but they have been recently rebuilt, maybe not broke in enough..

I'd say look on Craigslist and buy you a sweet 025 or 026...better saw and they're going for $100-125...or 026's go for $150-200
I had a 025 that was bullet-proof...although my acquisition of a minty 026 made the 025 expendable...easily...its substantially more saw.

I'd say look on Craigslist and buy you a sweet 025 or 026...better saw and they're going for $100-125...or 026's go for $150-200
I had a 025 that was bullet-proof...although my acquisition of a minty 026 made the 025 expendable...easily...its substantially more saw.

Boy, if I could buy an 026 for $150, I'd be all over that. Around here, a pretty well beat one goes for $250. Nicer ones start around $300. Might be a regional thing.

Back