Stihl MS261 .325 or 3/8?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cre10

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I see on the Stihl site that it recommends 16" 3/8 chain.

You guys usually say 60cc and up for 3/8?

If Stihl recommends 3/8 why are 99% of the 261, 260, and 026 saws I see for sale in .325?

What is an ideal bar and chain set up on this?

I see on the Stihl site that it recommends 16" 3/8 chain.

You guys usually say 60cc and up for 3/8?

If Stihl recommends 3/8 why are 99% of the 261, 260, and 026 saws I see for sale in .325?

What is an ideal bar and chain set up on this?

Because they usually perform better with .325, I assume. The difference in cutting speed will be minor, if the chains are of the same standard. The main reason for the bad rep the .325 often is getting is that there are a lot more sub-standard chains out there in that pitch. If you stay with Stihl RS(C) or Oregon LP(X), you are on safe ground - same with the semi-chisel versions of same.

However, .325 will always be nicer to use for limbing and other smaller cuts, less so in larger cuts, so I stay with that on 50cc saws - I am not into cookie cutting, but I have done some comparisons to make sure that my "feel" about the issue isn't off....:D

You can't even order a 261 with 3/8 here. You would have to convert it yourself. Yes, the saw will pull it.
I guess it has always been that way? That would explain the used ones being .325. Wonder why the Stihl website says to run 3/8 16.

Because they usually perform better with .325, I assume. The difference in cutting speed will be minor, if the chains are of the same standard. The main reason for the bad rep the .325 often is getting is that there are a lot more sub-standard chains out there in that pitch. If you stay with Stihl RS(C) or Oregon LP(X), you are on safe ground - same with the semi-chisel versions of same.

However, .325 will always be nicer to use for limbing and other smaller cuts, less so in larger cuts, so I stay with that on 50cc saws - I am not into cookie cutting, but I have done some comparisons to make sure that my "feel" about the issue isn't off....:D
Because the 3/8 grabs more?

Mine Came with .325

Mine came with the .325, and I had the dealer swap it for a 3/8 16" setup. Perfect for bucking up small stuff. I agree that .325 is a little smoother and better for limbing, but I try to keep most saws with 3/8 .050 for the sake of simplicity. As others have said, it will pull the 3/8 very well.

Not sure what website you're looking at, but the USA Stihl product listing for the 261 says:

"STIHL recommends #3624 (26 RM3 67) OILOMATIC® saw chain and 16" 3003 008 6813 STIHL ROLLOMATIC® Ematic™ guide bar combination. The actual listed guide bar length can vary from the effective cutting length based on which power head it is installed on."

STIHL MS 261 Chain Saw - Professional Use Chain Saw | STIHL USA

26 RM3 is a 0.325/0.063 chain, and that's what the saw ships with.

261 runs a 3/8's b/c with no problems

003-3.jpg

I run both 18" and 20" 3/8's b/c

:msp_smile:

Mine came with the .325, and I had the dealer swap it for a 3/8 16" setup. Perfect for bucking up small stuff. I agree that .325 is a little smoother and better for limbing, but I try to keep most saws with 3/8 .050 for the sake of simplicity. As others have said, it will pull the 3/8 very well.

That is quite common, but always a bad reason for a choise of chain, imo.

People are different though, and each to his own.

Btw, not everyone is admitting that is the reason, but I suspect many that prefere 3/8" chain on a 50cc saw actually does because for that same reason. Also, the common "bigger is better" syndrome may play a part here.

Coming from a place where that syndrome isn't so common, makes it pretty clear to you (me) that it has an impact on forum statements. Mostly I don't mention it, but I see it most of the time....

Last edited:
That is quite common, but always a bad reason for a choise of chain, imo.

People are different though, and each to his own.

Btw, not everyone is admitting that is the reason, but I suspect many that prefere 3/8" chain on a 50cc saw actually does because for that same reason. Also, the common "bigger is better" syndrome may play a part here.

True, the decision is certainly part laziness, but I do think the 3/8's are a bit faster for bucking. At least that is what my non-scientific, beer supported testing tells me! ;). Right now, I only have two saws that are NOT 3/8 .050, and MS201T and a 346XP OE. If I spring for a new 550XP, I may leave that .325, as I assume that is how they ship.

All of the current 50cc pro saws can easily pull 3/8 efficiently, it just boils down to usage and personal preference.

Last edited:
It sure is nice seeing big chucks flying from a 261 with a 3/8's set up on it :msp_smile:

DSC_7471.jpg

Latest posts

Back