Stihl MS261 .325 or 3/8?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sure is nice seeing big chucks flying from a 261 with a 3/8's set up on it :msp_smile:

DSC_7471.jpg

What bar length is that?

True, the decision is certainly part laziness, but I do think the 3/8's is a bit faster for bucking. At least that is what my non-scientific, beer supported testing tells me! ;). Right now, I only have two saws that are NOT 3/8 .050, and MS201T and a 346XP OE. If I spring for a new 550XP, I may leave that .325, as I assume that is how they ship.

All of the current 50cc pro saws can easily pull 3/8 efficiently, it just boils down to usage and personal preference.

My testing is always beer-supported, and I believe most 550xp saws come with .325, even the 560xp does here...

I don't have a problem using two different chain sizes on my saws. .325 on the small ones (45-50cc) and 3/8 on the larger ones (57-75cc). 3/16" and 7/32" files. That's only two different files.

My beer testing shows this works for me...:msp_smile:

I don't have a problem using two different chain sizes on my saws. .325 on the small ones (45-50cc) and 3/8 on the larger ones (57-75cc). 3/16" and 7/32" files. That's only two different files.

My beer testing shows this works for me...:msp_smile:

That isn't an issue for anyone I know of that actually have done it - it only is to those that haven't done it (yet). :D

Beer testing is always right, as it should be fun, not tedious work - swapping bars and chain and sprocket rims around is no big deal, regardless if the clutch are inboard or outboard....:msp_smile:

On really small stuff, like nipping off sucker growth and stuff like that, 3/8" grabs, cuts rough, and is more prone to jumping the bar than .325" in the same situation. It really depends what your goal for the saw is. Both chain pitches will get the job done, obviously, but matching the chain to the job makes the job a bit more pleasant.

001.jpg

Just keep bashing me and Stihl brand and other brands someone should notice it sooner or later

Would 3/8's be harder on the saw since the saw will keep a higher rpm with .325?

I guess it could be re-phrased as: is it better for the saw to be in the cut a bit longer with less load, or in the cut for a shorter amount of time under higher load?

Would 3/8's be harder on the saw since the saw will keep a higher rpm with .325?

I guess it could be re-phrased as: is it better for the saw to be in the cut a bit longer with less load, or in the cut for a shorter amount of time under higher load?

I think your question assumes you're running 3/8-7t versus 325-7t, but wouldn't apples-to-apples require you to run a 325-8t?

Latest posts

Back