Stihl MS261C M-tronic WILL NOT IDLE. Brand new.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got some screw carbs that have not been apart in 40 years, still run fine. A Homie from the 70s....

Think you'll find autotune parts in 40 years?
Well that's funny you mention that. My buddy has an old stihl chainsaw that he wants a part from my old chainsaw to make his run because he can't get the part anymore. I think it's an ignition coil. Old stihl av028 i believe. Adjustable carb and everything. Just can't get the part, or maybe the part costs way too much. I dunno.

Well that's funny you mention that. My buddy has an old stihl chainsaw that he wants a part from my old chainsaw to make his run because he can't get the part anymore. I think it's an ignition coil. Old stihl av028 i believe. Adjustable carb and everything. Just can't get the part, or maybe the part costs way too much. I dunno.

Are you sure? You can still get a coil for that saw. Either OEM or aftermarket.

Here is an aftermarket one:

http://www.lilredbarn.net/product-p/0000-400-1300.htm
Screenshot_20220321-093114.png

I think we’re only a couple of decades away from them being overtaken by battery.
If you really believe that then you haven’t run one of the latest generation battery saws. Just FYI, I have CAD as bad as anyone, forty saws last time I counted. I love running them and working on them too. Not saying they will totally replace gas saws but they will replace most of them. I was given a MSA220 with 16” bar for my last birthday and, for me, it can easily replace any of my 50cc saws.
Real world it works like this - you pick it up, pull the trigger and it cuts. Release the trigger it stops, you put it down safely. ALL these issues go away - gas problems, premix problems, hard starting, carbs adjustments, solenoids, fuel spills, etc. Reality is that they are a labor saving tool.

If you really believe that then you haven’t run one of the latest generation battery saws. Just FYI, I have CAD as bad as anyone, forty saws last time I counted. I love running them and working on them too. Not saying they will totally replace gas saws but they will replace most of them. I was given a MSA220 with 16” bar for my last birthday and, for me, it can easily replace any of my 50cc saws.
Real world it works like this - you pick it up, pull the trigger and it cuts. Release the trigger it stops, you put it down safely. ALL these issues go away - gas problems, premix problems, hard starting, carbs adjustments, solenoids, fuel spills, etc. Reality is that they are a labor saving tool.

You’re not going to get much done with a battery saw. Home owner occasional use on smaller logs sure, but they aren’t any where near replacing petrol saws across the board.

You’re not going to get much done with a battery saw. Home owner occasional use on smaller logs sure, but they aren’t any where near replacing petrol saws across the board.
So have you actually ever used a Stihl MSA220 or Husky 540i?
I was on a job last week, my partner was using a Husky 353 and I was using the Stihl 220. It really became clear to me how much time the battery saw saved, and time is money if you own a business.
And what I said was “they won’t replace all gas saws but they will replace most of them.” You will just need to change your name to Vintage Motor Repairs 😜

I sold my MSA 220 after 6 months since bought new. It just didn't cut enough wood before the fully charged battery ran out of puff. Had the biggest 300 S battery and their fastest charger.

For the high purchase price the run time was too short for me when out gathering firewood in the bush and no way would I go buying extra batteries - they are too expensive.

The new owner is unlikely to do any serious cutting, just infrequent short bursts or have it in the car in case of a tree fallen across the road.

Win, win. He was happy to buy Stihl's currently most powerful battery saw in almost new condition and I got nearly all my money back.

When top of the line battery saws are available at a reasonable price I'll try again but am certain that isn't ever going to happen.

WellI goes to show no two operations are the same. For you the battery didn’t last long enough, for me the battery lasted all day on that job. I certainly can’t argue with you about being expensive, and I wouldn’t try to justify them by saying they save money in the long run on gas. Where I see the savings in operating labor and maintenance.

WellI goes to show no two operations are the same. For you the battery didn’t last long enough, for me the battery lasted all day on that job. I certainly can’t argue with you about being expensive, and I wouldn’t try to justify them by saying they save money in the long run on gas. Where I see the savings in operating labor and maintenance.
Lasted all day on the job, How much of the day was the saw actually used?

I've seen professional tree crews use battery saws. They were hiking into a remote area and working all day away from the truck. Pretty sure they packed batteries. Yea they don't make big battery saws yet but they will. If I was buying a small saw for brush cutting now I'd seriously consider a battery saw. It'd be nice to have a quiet saw. My brush cutting involves a lot of stopping cutting to pull material out of the way. I hate letting engines idle so I kill the saw and restart it for the next set of cuts. The Echo 352 starts easy but with a battery saw I could just pick it up and go to work.

I love my M-tronic saws too even though I'm an old school two stroke guy who knows how to tune carbs. M-tronic just works, so I can just work. I've had zero problems with them.

That will take the "universal" stihl coil, or can swap out with many other stihls. Should be thousands out there on parts carcasses.

So have you actually ever used a Stihl MSA220 or Husky 540i?
I was on a job last week, my partner was using a Husky 353 and I was using the Stihl 220. It really became clear to me how much time the battery saw saved, and time is money if you own a business.
And what I said was “they won’t replace all gas saws but they will replace most of them.” You will just need to change your name to Vintage Motor Repairs 😜
Where do you find trees with electrical outlets? None around here.........

I have a husky 435 that cannot be tuned for stable running operation on a continuous basis. It won't restart well and doesn't run the same from one day to the next. It has been like that since purchase 10+ years ago.

Made in Sweden.

Also, my autotune saws will run after sitting for a year. The ****** ethanol gas doesn't seem to foul up the small carbs like it does the carb on my old Toro 4 stroke and my push lawnmower and my generator, my chipper shredder, or my riding lawnmower.

The autotune carbs have been much less a hassle than any other carb I've ever owned.

Although I must say my Stihl 4 mix carb is adjustable yet I've never had to touch it for any reason whatsoever in over ten years. It's on a KR130 if I remember the letters correctly.
saw carbs are designed to drain back into the fuel line/tank so fuel does not sit in the carb body gumming up the works once the tank pressure changes to vacuum when ambient temps change overnight . Larger engines have mostly have carbs with float bowls that retain fuel until the service valve is turned off to be run dry for storage. I imagine the chainsaw fuel injected version is designed to drain back as well.

I got to demo a 220 and I was surprised at how well it did for a battery saw. I understand the convenience of batteries and less hassle and agree with that.

But to say that 220 replaces a 50cc saw is kind of a stretch...
And Husky says the 540i is equivilante to a 40cc.

I have several m tronic saws and hate everyone. 661C, 261CM, 201TCM, 441C and several more. Every single one I've had to replace the low idle solenoid on. 661c stopped idling 5 weeks in. Out of warranty. How convenient. 261C stopped idling after 6 months. 201 tcm has never idled right and dies every time you touch the throttle. The Stihl dealers in my area aren't worth a crap. They gave me the run around on every saw. I've only ran saws for a living for 29 years. Logging and tree service combined. I finally found one dealer that can still get me non M tronic saws. I just bought a new 661, and 261. Still in the box and never ran. I just replaced the low idle solenoid on my 261c again this evening. Runs great now. I've never had a problem keeping the air filter clean and taking 5 seconds to adjust the carb if needed. I'll take that over this crappy m tronic any day.

I have the T540I and it's a great saw. I use it mainly for climbing now. I keep 4 batteries in the truck. Each battery is close to equivalent to a tank of gas in the 200T. Not as powerful though. But quiet, low vibration and you don't have to worry about trying to crank it while perched way out on a limb.

Back