Stihl MS290 oil plug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetwrench

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just got this 290 back together and found out the oil plug by the muffler is missing. I looked in my parts book and can’t seem to find it. Wanted to see if anyone here had a part number or a reliable fix before I go to the dealer. I found a picture of the plug installed in the case. It’s the orange plug in the pic below. Thanks in advance 75075C78-437C-44F8-B5EB-C05D589C85AE.png

Bar Oiler Breather Plug Repair.jpg View attachment 796695 View attachment 796695 View attachment 796695
Just got this 290 back together and found out the oil plug by the muffler is missing. I looked in my parts book and can’t seem to find it. Wanted to see if anyone here had a part number or a reliable fix before I go to the dealer. I found a picture of the plug installed in the case. It’s the orange plug in the pic below. Thanks in advance View attachment 796655

I have same saw, same problem, but mine had a hairline crack at the top end of the hole. I did the repair with an M6 x 1.00 x 8 mm long threaded Set Screw, because the grub screws recommended it the service manual were not available anywhere around me. I coated the threads with the green locktite made for parts that are not to be removable. Because of the crack, I put a piece of thin copper wire into the bar oiling hole, set the screw in until it hit the wire, then back off a bit on the screw. I let it dry over night, it dried up & sealed the crack as well as the screw threads & bar-oiler works fine now, with no sign of leaks there.

Also, Harley was right, your going to want to keep that manual he sent you, it is invaluable.

Page 55....
Keep this, you will love it!!
Awesome!! I really appreciate it. I’ll print it out and put in my manuals book. I’ll also see if I can get the screws from my dealer. This saw will end up being sold and I want it done as correct as possible so the new owner won’t have any issues. Thanks again!

Ya I just put an 029 super back together and thought maybe it was the oiler elbow same issue. And I have an ms310 somebody just threw a screw into any advice on how this works so I understand the fix I'm doing would be awesome. Also how do I post to ask a question on this site??? Like specifically this question. Do I have to be a paying member???

Latest posts

Back