Stihl ms362... carb or mtronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nch209

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I came across a new stihl ms362 version 2, but it is a carb and not mtronic model. Is this a safe buy? Is one a better bet than the other? I'm not in a rush to buy a new saw, but this one seems priced fair. If the mtronic is better I can wait for another saw to pop up. Sure this is a newbie question, but well, I'm pretty green to saws!

I had a non MTronic 362 prior to buying the 362RCM I have now. I had no problems with it at all. I sold it to a buddy who still uses it. The MTronic seems to have more torque at lower engine speed but that just be in my head. If you get a good deal, go for it! IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt you'd really notice a difference either way. I have an m-tronic 661 and it's a great saw. All my other saws are standard carb and I never have to mess with them after the initial tuning. Not a bad choice either way.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I think the OP should get what he is comfortable with, after all it’s his money. I never understood the hate some here show for new technology such as MTronic or Autotune. I’m sure the vehicles they drive aren’t carbonated, have points in a distributor cap, or have a stick shift manual transmission.

I think the OP should get what he is comfortable with, after all it’s his money. I never understood the hate some here show for new technology such as MTronic or Autotune. I’m sure the vehicles they drive aren’t carbonated, have points in a distributor cap, or have a stick shift manual transmission.

Well said and good advice for anybody.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I am surprised the MS362 MkII is available with an ordinary carburetor. I've never seen one and even markets such as Brazil get the M-tronic version.

I'm pretty sure it is the MKI version. The carb 362s I have all seen, (even recently) do not have the newer clutch cover.

Well, I decided to pull the trigger. Bought from a fellow enthusiast, and it is most definitely a 2nd version with updated clutch cover AND updated cooling fins/top end. Apparently, like the 261, the 362 can now be had with a carb or mtronics. I am not against technology and think the mtronics would be fine, but this one was a fair deal so I went with the carb. Oddly, what I am nervous about is if I made the right decision between the 261 and 362. I love the light weight of the 2 series, but the deal was right with this 3 series... so hope the added umph outweighs the added weight.

Well you won't need a computer to plug into your saw to get the error codes and no "software malfunctions." I've liked every mtronic I've run however the idea of a chainsaw with an electrically controlled fuel system is always a bit of a hoot for me. I'm sure that's what they said about cars becoming electronically controlled ...

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure it is the MKI version. The carb 362s I have all seen, (even recently) do not have the newer clutch cover.

I just bought this version II non mtronic, my dealer didn’t have an mtronic version in stock

Attachments

• B8012FE1-A328-4432-9620-08BA365BFC66.jpeg
    B8012FE1-A328-4432-9620-08BA365BFC66.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 47
If I had a choice I would buy the one with screws.

And no fancy strato or anything.

Unfortunately, the choices are getting more and more limited to this end...

Get the simple saws when you can. Soon there will be none available.

Nope
:p

Yea and all the new cars are crap and break after a year. Electronics dont belong in a saw. Dissapointed. More complexity to something that should stay simple

Yea and all the new cars are crap and break after a year. Electronics dont belong in a saw. Dissapointed. More complexity to something that should stay simple

Don’t know about saws, but I grew up in the pre-emission control days of automobiles and I wouldn’t go back. Nice to be able to start in any weather, get 50% better mph, 100% longer engine life and know that you can pull out with little concern for stalling or stumbling. Now when I was there, I was among the many to say cars were being mucked up and made overly complicated, unreliable and unserviceable - and they were - shoot some of them you could bearly pump gas in the tank much less work on them - but after many long and painful years we survived and today’s cars are better, safer, more reliable, more efficient and (my favorite part) generally more powerful. Heck, guys your age can tune them for even more power with a computer. If I had to go back, I would go all the way back to no emission controls = well, maybe have a pvc valve. Maybe throw in electronic ignition - wait, that would be too high tech.

Now where we are on the curve with saws I don’t know, but I am sure it is a shorter curve than the automotive curve. Most of my saws are between 30 and 40 years old (some have points and some have electronic ignition). All of them are likely to still be running when I am not, but I plan to buy a MS462 if they ever get released here.

Ron

I like the idea of simple quality engines that can be worked on, after all, I am here learning about them purely for enjoyment. I have very little use for saws accept for my business to collect carving wood from fruit orchards once or twice a year. I don’t think there is a better saw than the ms 180 for me it’s about the perfect balance between power to weight ratio, especially when I hike across acres of cherry trees and cut between 4” - 14” of green fresh cherry logs, but I digress!!

The convenience of m-Tronic is obvious, and if you don’t want to be fixing them yourself or tinkering, it’s the obvious way to go. For anyone who likes to maintain and work on their saws and not be reliant on their dealer, modify, replace and fix them, a standard carb is the way to go. I’m not against new technology and am excited by the ms 500i, the biggest possible waste of my money would be to buy one, but I still want to of course!

Latest posts

Back