Stihl MS441RC-M master control lever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just bought a MS441RC-M not to long ago and the master control lever is acting up a little. When I push it down to the choke setting, it does not want to stay there every time. And when it does stay there, sometimes when I pull the rope, it will come out of the choke setting. It has done this from day one. Is this normal or should I send it in for warranty work?

Take it back, it needs to work. Let the dealer do their job.

Steve

Don't get me wrong, I can still get it started. It's just that sometimes it takes a time or two to get it to stay down. And from time to time, when I go to pull the rope, it will come out of the choke position.

I am guessing nobody else deals with this.

I do press the throttle down to get the lever into choke position. But sometimes it does not want to stay down like it should.

Here is a pic of it in the choke position. With all the covers taken off, it will not stay in position at all by itself.

IMG_0449_zpsb56a63ac.jpg

If you need a better pic, let me know and I will try to get one.

Last edited:
Here is a video I took of what it is doing. It has never been this bad until now. The funny thing is when I took the covers off, it works better. I wonder if taking all the covers on and off is causing something to not line up correctly. The very first time I had the covers off, it wasn't working that good.
MVI 0461 - YouTube

I also took a video of the inner workings of it, let me know if you want me to post that too.

Last edited:
Here are the pics you wanted.

This one is with the lever in the off position.
IMG_0451_zps36ac82b5.jpg

This one is with the lever in the run position.
IMG_0456_zpsbe702370.jpg

This one is with the lever in the choke position.
IMG_0459_zpsa260394d.jpg

Fish, you said the spring looks messed up. To me, I am not sure it is the spring. It seems like taking the covers on and off affects how it works. It's like something is getting moved around enough to make something not line up correctly.

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed that too. Honestly I have no idea what that is for and if it is even supposed to be there. The top part of that is just out of the pic. I don't believe this has anything to do with the lever but I will bring it up if and when I bring it back to the dealer. What do you even call that thing?

I watched your vid i think i can see whats going on.
Only press the throttle lever in SLIGHTLY then push the control lever all the way to choke and let go of both.
By having the throttle in all the way the choke can not engage in position.:smile2:

Ok, I will try that tomorrow. If I still can't get it to work right, I am going to take the saw back to the dealer for warranty work.

That piece that Fish pointed out, I guess that is supposed to be there?

Back