Stihl MS461R muffler porting question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chhonos

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I recently bought an MS461R saw. I am mainly using a 20" ES Pro bar. Thus far, I have changed the 7 tooth sprocket to an 8tooth sprocket for the 20" bar that I will use 90% of the time. The other bar that I will use occasionally is a 28" ES Light bar.
I have read quite a bit on porting to gain some extra power, and I am interested, but I am looking for a bit more info about porting this particular saw!
I know that I could have the cylinder ported/grinded down on both ends for increased airflow. However, this seems a bit risky and I don't know if that would really be worth taking the risk?
I am also aware that there are several dual port muffler covers available on the market. Thus far, I have found some cheaper aftermarket ones online, and I have discovered that the MS460 stock dual port muffler cover will fit the MS461R. I checked with my local dealer for part number 1128-140-0801, and they can order it at a price of $40. Are there major differences between the dual port mufflers available, and which one will work best on this saw?
The next thing I am wondering is whether I should drill out the inside of the muffler? I have found several threads on the MS460, many of which talked about different techniques to do it. No idea which technique would work best for a 461?
Another extremely important thing is whether or not I will have to play with the limiters? I have read that there is a rev limiter on the ignition on the 461...so doesn't that mean that in order for this modification to really make a difference, I would have to replace the ignition with one that doesn't have a limiter???

Finally I will end with this...
I was confused when I read that Stihl makes a stock dual port muffler. Why is it that they don't just put them stock on the saw to begin with? I would asume that it has to do with the emision standards that they have to meet?? Or is there another reason....
I would also asume that doing a modification like this won't affect the saw in the long run in terms of damage etc?

Thanks so much and I hope you have some insight! I would love to hear from some experiences guys on here.

Hey everyone, so I recently bought an MS461R saw. I am mainly using a 20" ES Pro bar. Thus far, I have changed the 7 tooth sprocket to an 8tooth sprocket for the 20" bar that I will use 90% of the time. The other bar that I will use occasionally is a 28" ES Light bar.
I have read quite a bit on porting to gain some extra power, and I am interested, but I am looking for a bit more info about porting this particular saw!
I know that I could have the cylinder ported/grinded down on both ends for increased airflow. However, this seems a bit risky and I don't know if that would really be worth taking the risk?
I am also aware that there are several dual port muffler covers available on the market. Thus far, I have found some cheaper aftermarket ones online, and I have discovered that the MS460 stock dual port muffler cover will fit the MS461R. I checked with my local dealer for part number 1128-140-0801, and they can order it at a price of $40. Are there major differences between the dual port mufflers available, and which one will work best on this saw?
The next thing I am wondering is whether I should drill out the inside of the muffler? I have found several threads on the MS460, many of which talked about different techniques to do it. No idea which technique would work best for a 461?
Another extremely important thing is whether or not I will have to play with the limiters? I have read that there is a rev limiter on the ignition on the 461...so doesn't that mean that in order for this modification to really make a difference, I would have to replace the ignition with one that doesn't have a limiter???

Finally I will end with this...
I was confused when I read that Stihl makes a stock dual port muffler. Why is it that they don't just put them stock on the saw to begin with? I would asume that it has to do with the emision standards that they have to meet?? Or is there another reason....
I would also asume that doing a modification like this won't affect the saw in the long run in terms of damage etc?

Thanks so much and I hope you have some insight! I would love to hear from some experiences guys on here.

A dual port muffler cover is a great idea........Just be sure it's plenty fat in the cut.

I would not buy a new muffler, just the cover. I bought an NWP cover from Bailey's then opened it up even more.

While you have the cover off, pull the muffler and open up the side exit.

Some pics are in my 460 muffler mod thread.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/189249.htm

Also, might as well contact one of the gentlemen above and below my post to have it ported. With a saw in this price range, what is a few hundred more dollars :)

Last edited:
Watsonr has AM dual port covers for $20. My dealer sold me an OEM one for $30. You're mileage may vary. Make sure to open up the existing hole in the muffler. Make it as large as the deflector will cover. Honestly, you don't really need a new cover.

Watsonr has AM dual port covers for $20. My dealer sold me an OEM one for $30. You're mileage may vary. Make sure to open up the existing hole in the muffler. Make it as large as the deflector will cover. Honestly, you don't really need a new cover.

And you really do not need to open the hole that much on a stock 461.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses! So I guess people haven't really compared the different dual port covers to the point that one is much better than the other. Keeping that in mind, I would probably just decide on getting the OEM cover. Can someone just confirm that part number 1128-140-0801 is the correct cover for the 461, or is there another one I havent been able to find?
Anyways, some of the comments you guys had were a start...but I still have a lot that needs answering. Anyone have any more info on my other questions?
For the time being...lets start with, "I have decided on the OEM dual port muffler cover".

Hey guys, thanks for the responses! So I guess people haven't really compared the different dual port covers to the point that one is much better than the other. Keeping that in mind, I would probably just decide on getting the OEM cover. Can someone just confirm that part number 1128-140-0801 is the correct cover for the 461, or is there another one I havent been able to find?
Anyways, some of the comments you guys had were a start...but I still have a lot that needs answering. Anyone have any more info on my other questions?
For the time being...lets start with, "I have decided on the OEM dual port muffler cover".

It boils down to you ........
-If you have some cabbage burning a hole in your pocket, dish it out for the new cover (an OEM one will probably last longer than AM)
-If you wish to save the cabbage, then just open the hole you got and enjoy.

-I might have gotten a little carried away on this one, but it hasnt hurt anything, just make sure to re-tune it.

it boils down to you ........
-if you have some cabbage burning a hole in your pocket, dish it out for the new cover (an oem one will probably last longer than am)
-if you wish to save the cabbage, then just open the hole you got and enjoy.

-i might have gotten a little carried away on this one, but it hasnt hurt anything, just make sure to re-tune it.

dang

It boils down to you ........
-If you have some cabbage burning a hole in your pocket, dish it out for the new cover (an OEM one will probably last longer than AM)
-If you wish to save the cabbage, then just open the hole you got and enjoy.

-I might have gotten a little carried away on this one, but it hasnt hurt anything, just make sure to re-tune it.

thas a damm big hole
chain looks a bit dull

thas a damm big hole
chain looks a bit dull

That hole was a little large, but the Dude raves about how much better it runs ...... compares it to his 660.
That chain was ditched and I put on a new RM chain for him to stump with, no need for full skip with a 25" bar and the power he now has.

Could someone just confirm that this is the correct part number for the OEM dual port muffler for the 461??
1128-140-0801
Thanks

Give that saw a blow........off:laugh:

No time to, he stopped by with 3 of those 460's and wanted all 3 done while he waited. Talking about being in a rush. Made $100 on 3 MM's, blow off the air filters, and re-tunes. He ran and got 3 new RM chains and I just threw them on for him. Basically threw the last saw in the truck as he was already moving ........ fighting dusk to get the job done, told him to be safe.

That one day has brought me about 12 more saws to MM !
Nice easy cabbage !!
I try to clean up saws before work gets done, but sometimes ya gotta do what the customer wants done within a real tight timeframe !!

Could someone just confirm that this is the correct part number for the OEM dual port muffler for the 461??
1128-140-0801
Thanks

According to media cat that's the AUS/NZ number. I was getting them by the dozen but never used a number...... I'm gonna give the AM ones a try.

Just ask for the 460 dual port cover. 440/460, 044/046 Dual port cover # 1128 140 0801

Latest posts

Back