Stihl MS500i Hot Start Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and pressing the bulb a bunch can help cycle cooler fuel through. And letting the saw idle 15+ seconds before turning it off on a hot day reportedly helps too, some say it allows it to cool, or for the computer to recognize its idling.

Last one. High revs and ensuring the chain is sharp while cutting on a hot day can help. Higher revs are good as they mean more oil to the bar, less energy lost to the clutch, thinner wood shavings through less pressure on the bar, and more airflow. When a chain is dull the teeth do more thrashing than cutting and this heats up the saw. A dull chain means saw dust instead of saw chips or long slivers. Another indicator of a dull chain in summer is when the cut starts to smoke, which can also be a fire hazard. My making sure to have a file when cutting in summer is critical. I am also ready to sharpen every time the tank is filled, or more often if dirt is dulling the chain.

Long story short, in summer I remember to use fresh gas, prime with the bulb lavishly, carry and use a file, and while cutting remember that haste makes waste (keep high revs through little pressure on the bar, and allow a cool down before shutting it down).

, does anyone here actually work on saws? or just guessing!!

the fuel solenoid go bad ! they wont run , even a newer saw can have a failed solenoid!

also fuel pump at primer bulb are the common fault.

then the injector if all else fails!

Stihltechwyo,

you placed a comma before any text.

Were you guessing when you asked your question?

Five exclamation marks!!!!!

Your response is a list of things that can go wrong, which lacks focus and is not pertinent to the thread title of why an MS500i problem starting when they are “hot” which implies they will start when cold. Nor does it address how to keep a saw cool so that it will not get “hot” and have a start problem.

I see you are a “New member” that joined yesterday at noonish and this is your only post.

Are you a Stihl Tech as your login implies, and if so, where do you work?

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back