Stihl MS660 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This I would have to see to believe.

I quess im gonna have to go buy another 660 to make a vid. Would you be satisfiyed if it was a 066 vs 385 in 30in oak. I have a 28in bar or a 36in bar that will fit both witch would you prefer. I dont think we will see any 15 sec spanking but I will make vid and try to post soon. I have never time cut them against each other but run them both alot and still choose the 385 but to each his own. Might need some help putting vid on I have never done it before.
I also should say my 385 wears a 30in bar and full comp rs chain and my 660s wore 32in same chain.

SAWS 346XP, 346XP, 372XPW, 385XP, 395XP, 395XP, 084, 880, 090, 090, 200T, 200T, 200T, AND WORE OUT 046S AND ONE 066

Last edited:
I quess im gonna have to go buy another 660 to make a vid. Would you be satisfiyed if it was a 066 vs 385 in 30in oak. I have a 28in bar or a 36in bar that will fit both witch would you prefer. I dont think we will see any 15 sec spanking but I will make vid and try to post soon. I have never time cut them against each other but run them both alot and still choose the 385 but to each his own. Might need some help putting vid on I have never done it before.
I also should say my 385 wears a 30in bar and full comp rs chain and my 660s wore 32in same chain.

SAWS 346XP, 346XP, 372XPW, 385XP, 395XP, 395XP, 084, 880, 090, 090, 200T, 200T, 200T, AND WORE OUT 046S AND ONE 066

Dude, if you were to go spend 1100 bucks on a saw you don't even like just to try to prove a point to a forum then I would be wondering what kind of meds you been taking. :biggrinbounce2:

Whats a few seconds either way anyways?

If the saws were just self feeding, the Dolmar/ Makita should lose hands down, because it weighs about 3 pounds less than the other two saws. This would give it three pounds less of lean on the bar, right? I like bucking big logs with my 3120XP, as the 22 pound frame just pushes it through the log.

What is the rev limit on your 3120? In Australia it is 1,000rpm less than my 7900's (13,500rpm) but US saws are limited even lower at 9,800rpm.
No bigger saws won't self feed faster with the same chain specs. The 3lb is located in your hands, not as added weight or leverage on the bar. If you let any saw go it falls backwards out the log so there really isn't any significant saw weight related self feeding so to speak.
Not trying to hijack this thread with videos but here's some food for thought with my 3120 against two of my modded 7900's and a very strong modded 390XPG. Both Dolmars were running a bit rich at the time and by the time the 3120 had it's turn the chain was visibly beaten up...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1GbZ0AXVctY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1GbZ0AXVctY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
I had a 460 i ran great but i am a bigger guy and always wanted a 660 so i went and bought one and man no comparison i think it has a lot more grunt than the 460 but indeed heavier but still,then did a dual port muffler in it now sounds like a V8!!!!!:rock:

What is the rev limit on your 3120? In Australia it is 1,000rpm less than my 7900's (13,500rpm) but US saws are limited even lower at 9,800rpm.
No bigger saws won't self feed faster with the same chain specs. The 3lb is located in your hands, not as added weight or leverage on the bar. If you let any saw go it falls backwards out the log so there really isn't any significant saw weight related self feeding so to speak.

I have an older 3120 with a 12000 RPM coil I think. You may be right about the weight being off the log, but the rotation of the chain holds the saw in the log as well. The saw feels much heavier at idle than it does at full throttle. OR maybe it is just me, which could very well be the case. I have never timed the saws. Without applying pressure, the 3120 will start 4 stroking in the cut with a 24" bar on it. And boy does it cut fast.

Thanks for the post. It is nice the way you questioned my post without being a "wanker" about it. Perhaps you are right, and self feeding saws will cut faster with less power head weight.

After some thought, I think I am right after all. Normally you hold the saw up with the throttle hand, which is on the back of the saw. You then can push down with the left hand on the top handle, or just let the saw self feed. The center of gravity of the power head is near the top handle. Even with no top handle pressure, the weight of the power head will push through the log. Heavier power head = more pressure.

As the length of the bar gets longer, the weight of the power head becomes more insignificant.

i fall into the firewood category. i have a 460 and a 660 and i have a 660 because it helps hold my shelf down in my garage. i do love it, but the 460 sees the most work.

I have an older 3120 with a 12000 RPM coil I think. You may be right about the weight being off the log, but the rotation of the chain holds the saw in the log as well. The saw feels much heavier at idle than it does at full throttle. OR maybe it is just me, which could very well be the case. I have never timed the saws. Without applying pressure, the 3120 will start 4 stroking in the cut with a 24" bar on it. And boy does it cut fast.

Thanks for the post. It is nice the way you questioned my post without being a "wanker" about it. Perhaps you are right, and self feeding saws will cut faster with less power head weight.

I try not to be a wanker :) The 3120's certainly do cut fast.

After some thought, I think I am right after all. Normally you hold the saw up with the throttle hand, which is on the back of the saw. You then can push down with the left hand on the top handle, or just let the saw self feed. The center of gravity of the power head is near the top handle. Even with no top handle pressure, the weight of the power head will push through the log. Heavier power head = more pressure.

As the length of the bar gets longer, the weight of the power head becomes more insignificant.

Do you think 3lb makes a difference and have you compared it to your smaller saws? I've never noticed any although I rarely let saws just self feed.

I try not to be a wanker :) The 3120's certainly do cut fast.

Do you think 3lb makes a difference and have you compared it to your smaller saws? I've never noticed any although I rarely let saws just self feed.

You da man !!!!

I'm not sure 3lb makes a difference, but by the video it is certainly not hurting the Makita. I seem to notice a difference in my 3120, but, again, it could just be me. I don't like using the 3120 for felling, as the weight of the saw works against me. Nothing beats bucking with it.

You da man !!!!

I'm not sure 3lb makes a difference, but by the video it is certainly not hurting the Makita. I seem to notice a difference in my 3120, but, again, it could just be me. I don't like using the 3120 for felling, as the weight of the saw works against me. Nothing beats bucking with it.

I dont like useing my 880 or 84 for falling I would rather double cut. They r just to big and clumsy. Now there are men who ran them enough in big timber to get used to that, I never made it that far. As far as the 3lb goes when runing the saw IMO its still there u just dont notice it. Kinda like a 12 guage 3 1/2 in turkey load when u are paterning your shotgun on paper they kick like a mule but put some feathers out there and u never hardly notice it went off. James

The actual weight difference is more like 5 1/2lbs between a 3120XP and 395XP (excluding bar and chain). If I compare my 3120XP to my 390XP it's more like 7.2lbs.
Considering the reason you'd be running a 3120 is to pull longer bars then the actual weight difference is massive.
Anybody that says they can't notice the difference when felling between an MS880/3120XP and a 395XP/MS660 is either a steroid abuser, is trying to bignote themselves, or hasn't spend any significant time on either saw.
My saw fitness is very good, I'm 6'3" and about 260lbs, but a day on my 3120 felling trees is absolutely punishing, even with a 32" bar. I have spent over 10 hours a day on my 390XP/7900's with constant felling (saw running for at least 9 of those 10 hours) and have hardly noticed. 6 hours on the 3120 and you want to throw it away :)

2 hours on my 880 last sat and I was ? carying it back to the truck.

Owning one I can say from my point of view they are over rated especially in stock form, the saws suffer from a poor exhaust system, the plugged up factory muffler.
Once properly opened up, they perform to a more acceptable level. For the majority of people on here that want one, they have do realization that in small wood up to 30" that there is NO advantage over a 440/460/372/7900 etc, other than the Tim "the toolman" Taylor advantage of saying I got the biggest, baddest chainsaw in the neighborhood. They are fuel hogs, they are heavier than most want to pack all day. They are a niche saw for the true professional. I don't claim to be one of those, just a firewood hack. The only time ours see's use is when it truly is needed in the big white oaks and black jacks that exceed 30". The rest of the time the 361/044 or 460 can handle the job. I'm to the point were I would have a good woods ported 440 or 460 that will cut with any stock 660 and prolly out perform one and not have to deal with the fat bottomed pig.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic saw, extremely well built, built for the professional logger. It's not the light saber that all the owners of 290 and 310 and 390's think it is. There simply is no advantage to you get to the big wood and for the average guy they are plain overkill. Most are sold because the customer has no limit on the pocket book or has an extreme case of cad and just wants the biggest and baddest, it's not about need but the want.

Although you won't get anyone on here to admit it, I'll bet you there have been several that have bought them that have been disappointed.

Most people would be so much better off buying a 441 or 460/372/7900 as they will do just about anything that the average guy needs to be doing.

I'll bet my new 460 will see ten times the use that my 660 does.

99% of all stock saws are disappointing:) Yes, the 660 is one of them. I agree with you, that I'd rather have a ported 460 than a stock 660.

thear a great saw but run 1100.00:hmm3grin2orange:

I think there is a bit of advantage over the 460, but not much. I bet the guts are a bit tougher, though. Mine is a joy to use with a 25" bar. I was cutting up some 18" walnut, and it was as though the saw didn't even notice the wood was there. Kept its RPM up, and basically fell through the wood as if it were cutting styrofoam®.

That was actually a memorable woodcutting experience, as it was the only time I ever got the Subaru stuck, in a field with a foot of snow.

Back