Stihl ms660 or Husky 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hifly78

Reaction score
Ok I'm hooked on this. I bought a Stihl MS 260 Pro 2 months ago as a ATV, Huntcamp, and home saw and just love it. So smooth and lots of power. 18" 325 pitch chain. Previously used a hand me down McCulloch Eager Beaver 3720AV. Still have it and don't mind it now that I don't need to use it.

Now I'm thinking about something bigger. Maybe for ripping planks later but also for some larger hardwood felling bucking. For now probably a 25" 3/8 chain but later for ripping maybe a 32".

What are some opinions on a Stihl ms660 or older 066 vs Husqvarna 395xp

Thanks

Six of one, half-dozen of the other. The'll both easily do what you have in mind and then some. Go with whichever one feels best in your hands and has decent local support for parts and, if necessary, service.

first off welcome to the forum...now for a bit of advice(and not trying to be a prick) but this is a subject that come up roughly once a week, give or take. on the green toolbar right below the title of the thread name is the link "Search" with a drop down arrow, slick on it and type in 660 vs. 395. and get plenty of reading. now for the advancement of this thread i will add this from a prevois thread

now this is observations of several saws of both of the brands......so take it as you will

huskies(main experience w/395 & 575)

rev higher-i believe that there powerband(sweet spot) is at a higher rpm level that a comparable stihl saw.
better air filtration(have went up to a month of nearly every day timber cutting w/o having to clean the air filter.
outboard clutch-i personally believe that this can be a bit of a pain at times, especially when doing sprocket changes or when a powerhead needs to be removed if the bar is pinched.
on a few brand new husky 395's ive had problems with the fuel tank vent not being properly machined and not venting, thus causing vapor lock ($5 fix but very aggravating when it occurs)
to me a husky seems like a bulkier saw chassis than a stihl.
ive have a few saws in which the seam on the bottom of the plastic molded fuel tank would leak.
out of the box i am more satisfied with the bucking spikes on a 395 husky than a 660 stihl(which i swap out when new for different ones)
when a motor mount fails on a husky it fails(broken spring) and there is no way around it. fix it or cause more damage.
in my personal experience it seems as tho the huskies will vibrate parts of of them. ive seen 395's and 575's vibrate parts loose, bolts mainly which inturn wollar out the bolt holes.
i believe that a husky 395 has a high output oiler than a 066/660(half wraps)
press in bar studs-not a big fan,ive had them get pushed back in and drop into oil tank(empty oil tanks, clean bar stud and oil tank, coat bar stud with red loctite and press back in-let dry)
the kill swith is great when it is working-have had them go out-very aggraving when in the woods.
have broke choke lever on a few of them.
i like the factory roller chain catcher
i have broke the chain tensioner on a 395(never on a stihl)

i think that pretty much sums up my ideas about husky

now for stihl(main experience-028AV Super, 046, ,460, 066, 660)

main power made at a lower rpm (torquer, more lugging power)
simplicity of the tools needed(T27 torx, 3/4 scrench, and a 5/16" socket or wrench(can't think of the comparable metric-prolly 10mm-not sure of the top of my head)
personally think that they are like working on a small block chevy-just about anybody can do it.
SIDE ACCESS CHAIN TENSIONER..
saw feels less bulky
screw in bar studs
motormounts usually don't just fail, they weaken over time but will almost never just break....cuts down on surprises in the woods
i actually like the all-in-one master switch.
ease of obtaining parts, both new and used.
interchangability of parts.
a 660 is about a pound lighter than a 395
inferior air filter system to that of husky
the sounds of a stihl doesn't make me wanna stick my pinky inside my ear and scratch my brain

i think that pretty well sums it up for the two, and this is just some of the observations that i have had with the two brands.

don't like the puny bucking spikes on some of the smaller professional models of either brand...

all in all both are great saws, ive spent many hours at the helm of both of them. and i chose stihl by personal preference, past experience and ease of maintenance.

to add to that,

ive had stihls that vibrated the cylinder head bolts loose(though they had prolly not been checked since the time they were new-got the saws used)

on a 395 husky the impulse hose is much harder to get (wraps from top of carb, down around it, down under it and onto the crankcase) to than on a 066/660-pretty much a straight shot.

ive had huskies that had the fuel lines come apart(i believe from running fuel with ethanol-just a personal thought,)

all i can think of for now, hopes this helps gives some of you guys some of the real world experience that ive had with them....

and i have to stress this, when the day is over, and all is said and done, they are both great saws

As much as I like Husqvarna I give the nod to the 660. I think it is the best saw in that class and if you buy a dualport muffler cover you are at 7.8 horsepower. The only thing is the vibration levels are higher than the husky and the engine is not as refined both saws are winners though. I have to be careful im thinking I need a 660 lately and I don't so I started building a small 260 to keep my mind off it.

Last edited:
As much as I like Husqvarna I give the nod to the 660. I think it is the best saw in that class and if you buy a dualport muffler cover you are at 7.8 horsepower. The only thing is the vibration levels are higher than the husky and the engine is not as refined both saws are winners though. I have to be careful im thinking I need a 660 lately and I don't so I started building a small 260 to keep my mind off it.

There is a chainsaw addiction support group here at AS........You'll be ok...

Last edited:
That 041 at the dealer is calling my name too it was mint. It is locked up but he wants only wantd 30 bucks for it. The addiction is getting worse. :hmm3grin2orange: When you guys see it you will go bannanas I did.

That 041 at the dealer is calling my name too it was mint. It is locked up but he wants only wantd 30 bucks for it. The addiction is getting worse. :hmm3grin2orange:

You need to go buy it..............Trust me I get in the buying mood and ......Well thats why ..............Never mind...

well.. as you can see, we have a group that supports addiction... In fact, anyone that looks like they are staying on the wagon will get dragged off into the mud (and whatever else is behind wagons) with the rest of us.:cheers:

Last edited:
well.. as you can see, we have a group that supports addiction... In fact, anyone that looks like they are staying on the wagon will get dragged off into the mud (and whatever else is behind wagons) with the rest of us.:cheers:

Damn thats what happened to me.......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The practical part of me tells me to go with Stihl in this case, despite more vibes......:biggrinbounce2:

I picked up a Mac 1-53 this week from a contractor that was the proud owner of a 660 that he used for felling and milling. He was speaking so high of that saw ....since then, I have to fight the idea that I need one in the future..:help:

. I have yet to see the first person that did not like a 660... :chainsawguy:

This place is nothing but a bunch of chainsaw addict's that will enable the heck out of you here at AS........You'll be just as bad as we are before long,,, But,,,,It's ok...

There,,, I modified it better!!!!!

BTW 660/066 with a dual port!!!!!!! :hmm3grin2orange: :cheers:

Last edited:
Im picking it up tomorrow. I hope I can unsieze it. what should I use in the cyl Lake?

It could be a simple as something stuck in the flywheel, a messed up il pump. If it is crank/cylinder etc, fill it up with ATF and leave it a day or two.. then strip it down.

Back