Stihl MS660 VS Husky 395xp What one is better

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allan.K

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking at a MS660 and a 395XP.. I want to know what one holds up better,faster cutting,torq with rpm and a easy starter. And what are the down falls of each one and the plus's..I will be using a 36inch bar with chisel non safety chain..

Oh the MS660 will have the dual port muffler..

Thanks for looking
Allan.K

Last edited:
Allan.K said:
I am looking at a MS660 and a 395XP.. I want to know what one holds up better,faster cutting,torq with rpm and a easy starter. And what are the down falls of each one and the plus's..I will be using a 36inch bar with chisel non safety chain..

Oh the MS660 will have the dual port muffler..

Thanks for looking
Allan.K
The 660 has the out of the box advantage in terms of performance.

Russ

The dealer I deal with is about 45miles away from me on the Stihl's and he gives me a cut off the price.. Husky I can get them around cost from a friend that deals in husky .. But I have to drive 135miles .. All the other husky dealers are box stores and they will not sevice them..Plus they don't know cr@p about them...And the other stihl dealers around me close don't care for me being I work on saws for 1/2 the price as they charge..

Thanks for the reply
Allan.K

Allan.K said:
The dealer I deal with is about 45miles away from me on the Stihl's and he gives me a cut off the price.. Husky I can get them around cost from a friend that deals in husky .. But I have to drive 135miles .. All the other husky dealers are box stores and they will not sevice them..Plus they don't know cr@p about them...And the other stihl dealers around me close don't care for me being I work on saws for 1/2 the price as they charge..

Thanks for the reply
Allan.K

Easy choice do the Stihl. Good balanced saw, from a handling POV.

Fred

I like the Stihls. That is why I have 2-ms660s.. I havent run a lot of Huskys. I would think it would be what feels good to you .. Should both be v-good saws..

Never have used the Husky, but I sure like my 066! Snap on tha dual port, tweek the carb and you'll be almost back to the pre-epa / pre-osha 7.7hp... or close to it.

Ms 660 all the way they are a great fast out of the box saw with proven reliablity. I would buy another one in a heart beat if mine would ever die.

i'm a fan of the 395's but mine are all modded, as russ said i believe out of the box the 660's are the faster saw.

Why one one site it say's a 395xp will handle a 50 inch bar .. And Stihl say's 36 max.. Just wondering ????

I am having a hard time comming to a decision..:bang: I am leaning to the MS660 with a dual port muffler as of now..

Thanks for all input on this subject everyone
Allan.K

Allan.K said:
Why one one site it say's a 395xp will handle a 50 inch bar .. And Stihl say's 36 max..
Allan.K

with a 660 or a 395 i wouldn't run anything bigger than a 36in bar.

50 inch bar

You could run a 50 inch bar on a ms 660 or a hucky 395 but it would not be very fast and it would be hard on the saw. I ran a 42 inch bar on my 066 and it worked pretty well with skip tooth chain on it. Personally that would be my limit for that saw. If you need to cut anything past 84 inchs then you need to get a bigger saw. Just my 2 cents

jokers said:
The 660 has the out of the box advantage in terms of performance.

Russ

Humm, looks like their out-of-the-box performance is the same to me. Both are 5.2kW

twistedtree said:
Humm, looks like their out-of-the-box performance is the same to me. Both are 5.2kW

we just figure the more people we can talk into buying ms 660's then, it's one less bidder for the new 395's on ebay.:laugh: :laugh:

Allan.K said:
Why one one site it say's a 395xp will handle a 50 inch bar .. And Stihl say's 36 max.. Just wondering ????

C'mon...you know you want the 066. And what kind of wood is there in Iowa that would justify a 50" bar. I know the corn is big but its kinda nasty to cut with a saw.:laugh:

066's (MS660) are wonderful saws and one of Stihl's best. I couldn't part with mine even though I rarely use it.

saws

I have used both, like both. You can't go wrong with either one. I am a Husky guy but when something else is better (020 Stihl) than Husky (338) or equal as in this case brand preference has no place.

Had an early 066, now I have a 660, love(ed) them both. Mostly run a 36" bar, and fully buried with an 8-tooth, they'll pull hard. Even though my 066 was beat to ????, I still kinda miss it, although I've undone much of the epa colgging on my 660, it doesn't quite feel the same. I love Stihls in general, but that's pretty much all I've run and been around.

Latest posts

Back