Stihl MS660 vs Husqvarna 390xp (vid)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yep.

Maybe I didn't pay enough attention, but didn't these (660/390) have quite a bit better times than the 460/372 in the the other thread in the exact same wood? So much for that 044 keeping up... :rolleyes:

This has got to be the funniest thread yet on AS. It's too bad BB got the axe, he didn't seem to be a BSer, just very stubborn about what he believes to be true. He probably is just suspended. Good entertainment for sure.
Gypo

LOLOL, I have to agree with Gypo. BB's initial point was that the wood chosen was maybe not the best choice to make a REAL comparison about both saws inherent performance. Good point imo.

But he got dwelled by responding on pointless attacks and finally stuck a foot in his mouth by telling his 044 would outperform both saws... sins of the youth I reckon...we all have been there. He'll come by with age....:)

LOLOL, I have to agree with Gypo. BB's initial point was that the wood chosen was maybe not the best choice to make a REAL comparison about both saws inherent performance. Good point imo.

But he got dwelled by responding on pointless attacks and finally stuck a foot in his mouth by telling his 044 would outperform both saws... sins of the youth I reckon...we all have been there. He'll come by with age....:)

Roland,

Steaks age at a very predicatable rate.

Most wines age at a very predicatable rate.

People, not so much so.

ole joat

I got to say in most of the vids I see in AS mostly what I think is they need a sharper chain. (Tree slinger doesn't have that problem as he has a ProSharp).

But Tree slinger is the real deal. He has a proven track record of fast work saws. And he uses a saw for a living lots of the year.

So what he says and shows I listen to seriously.

For example, his vid a while back after he modded his new 880 was the only time I have ever seen anyone running an 880 that made it not look big and unweildly. It takes a lot of saw time to do that. :bowdown:

So I have a lot of respect for him and his vids, even though I currently run all stock saws. If I were to decide to have one of my saws modded, he is on a short list of folks I would consider.

In terms of BB's rantings, I think it is all part of the nature of the beast. But he was a bit wound up perhaps and needed a timeout/nap I guess. Maybe the mods could put a posts/unit time restriction on a person as a first step before a suspension just to slow them down.....

Or maybe a charge for each # they use....:)

Last edited:
Gypo its time for your saw porting 101 classes again...........Its always a good read................:clap::clap:

Ok Ultra, here we go. I'll challenge BB that his 044 with a 32" bar and 404 won't outcut my piston ported 020 in 10 inch basswood!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GQHVHDxUJHQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GQHVHDxUJHQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sorry, how did that happen? I was trying to post this one. Anyway the above movie was a ported 385 with a 28" bar, cutting a 22" Rock Maple.
Gypo

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Q4ko3gUFgw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Q4ko3gUFgw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
i have run ported saws, wasnt impressed in the least. porters and modders, in my opinion your charlatins

Before you go calling these folks that, and that includes several that have done work for me, you might want to learn how to spell.

You are full of it, pretty much.....

From my smallest climb saws to my 3120's, stock is for the birds. Though a few, like the small Husky climb saws, and Dolmar 7900, either don't respond well to porting or don't need it...they do need muffler mods.

My latest ported saw, in 14 inch wood, would probably beat that 044 of yours, if it has a stock single port muffler.....and it would be giving up 20 cc...

three guesses who ported it, and the first two don't count.

Gypo its time for your saw porting 101 classes again...........Its always a good read................:clap::clap:

Yup!!

That, and Gypo, I'm all out of Nev'r Dull. I'm so outta practice, it's be scary if I had to go back to using a file..... Can you help an ole geezer?

You can expect close to 15% gains on a 7900. They don't respond well to muffler mods without porting either. Like you said, they're a great saw right out of the box!

True, those big mufflers seem to flow quite well. Same with the 5100S, when I threw that triple ported muffler on my stocker, the gains were small, it seemed.

Good thing I wasn't around while this thread was active. A 20 year old kid, no less. We've had a few of those around over the years.

your the idiot who cant seem to understand that this is totally not even the point, not even the topic, your trying to run from the real point im making because you have no grounds for argument with it. your little smokescreens.

edit = and why would you care what i think my 044 can do? im posting a video tomorrow, so why are you even running your mouth about it? punk. try talking about what this is all about if you want to run your mouth.

getting tired of all the smokescreens, trying to run away from real issues.

I thought the vid debuted today fruit loop?

Yup!!

That, and Gypo, I'm all out of Nev'r Dull. I'm so outta practice, it's be scary if I had to go back to using a file..... Can you help an ole geezer?

You hillbillies, always thinking about the easy way out!

Was thinking someone should become a sponsor here for the stuff, I know where to get it.

But you should know how to file your chain before using Nev'r Dull , along with Miracle Sharp (tm) as it can be dangerous in the wrong hands!

attachment.php

:cheers:

A 20 year old kid, no less. We've had a few of those around over the years.
Some of those 20 year olds are some of the smartest folks around, just ask them and they'll tell 'ya. The problem is that some of them lack some people skills...this situation is a classic case in point.

The sad thing is that he really believes that his 044 can take on these saws that Slinger posted in this thread...I really do think he believes it.

The difference in cut speed of these two saws was negligible. I measured a mere .4 seconds. It comes down to preference IMHO.
I also measured about that much, however, the 390 sounds much better, more consistent, without a burp. The 660 just doesn't have the same sound to it, so even though it's a marginal difference, it seems like the 390 is clearly a better tuned saw.

I agree it gets down to preference, but Slinger mentioned his preference in the first post.

Watch the video again Brad. Don't you see/hear the 390 as being more consistent? It could just be that it's tuned up better, but one has to believe that Jasha can get the most out of his saws...but to me the sound of the saw is running at a more consistent RPM where the 660 seems to be going up/down with the RPMs more.

Cheers,
TT

Last edited:
I also measured about that much, however, the 390 sounds much better, more consistent, without a burp. The 660 just doesn't have the same sound to it, so even though it's a marginal difference, it seems like the 390 is clearly a better tuned saw.

I agree it gets down to preference, but Slinger mentioned his preference in the first post.

Watch the video again Brad. Don't you see/hear the 390 as being more consistent? It could just be that it's tuned up better, but one has to believe that Jasha can get the most out of his saws...but to me the sound of the saw is running at a more consistent RPM where the 660 seems to be going up/down with the RPMs more.

Cheers,
TT

As mentioned before, some could think that the 660 could use a tad more ignition advance in wood that size?

Respecting Slingr's preference, I would take the 600 since I made a mill for mine, it is hard to think there would be something that could replace it for that function?

Latest posts

Back