Stihl MS660 vs Husqvarna 390xp (vid)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm back, and i havent forgotten about this thread either. I will still post my video of my 044 in simular wood, though i expect it will be slower than either saws in the video, that doesnt really bother me as it was not the point whatsoever, I will maintain that the 066 is a far more powerfull saw, and the husky is still gay.

Also as a side note i would like to say i still believe you modders that are making money on this site are nothing more than charlatans. Pretty much stands as proof seeing as the OP freely admitted his preffered 90 cc saw would be slower than the 066 in larger wood (which it was made for) so to me that is blatant false advertisement/ deception. take it how you will.

Last edited:
I'm back, and i havent forgotten about this thread either. I will still post my video of my 044 in simular wood, though i expect it will be slower than either saws in the video, that doesnt really bother me as it was not the point whatsoever, I will maintain that the 066 is a far more powerfull saw, and the husky is still gay.

Also as a side note i would like to say i still believe you modders that are making money on this site are nothing more than charlatans. Pretty much stands as proof seeing as the OP freely admitted his preffered 90 cc saw would be slower than the 066 in larger wood (which it was made for) so to me that is blatant false advertisement/ deception. take it how you will.

Speed may not be the OP's only concern(like air filtration, comfort, etc) and looking at the OP's videos, he makes a living using his saws so I'm sure he knows what works for him.

BB gun. Good to see you took your time out sitting in the corner to think things through and mature some.

Having run the said 390 in this thread and a 660 from another builder, I can say neither one are lacking power at all. Having a ported 044 also, it won't hold a candle to a ported 390 or 660 in 30"+ wood. Being a Stihl man though, I prefer the 660. Not that I wouldn't own a 390, if it were placed in my hands. All boils down to that word in bold.:cheers:

oh god......:monkey:

Your first point back at the begining of this thread was about chain speed and sutabile size saw for said size timber.......and then you crowed how your 044 would beat those saws in same size timber, them wearing 32 bars and yours a 30..........

Now you are getting into a brand pissing war, which will get alot of attention here at AS because some believe emotional imput is scientific fact......

So you've jumped ship, changed your tune, back stepped and run for cover....you may wonder why some people here had a go at you. Maybe it was becasue you attacked first by calling the OP and others charlatans and theives....maybe its because you made statements and continually changed them....maybe its because you wouldnt litsen to fact and reason.....maybe its because you sit behind a computer and tell every one how tough you are.....

Why is the OP a charlatin? Because he showed a vid of his work on 2 different saws, becasue he stated he felt the 660 would perform better with a bigger bar, or because he stated he liked ( now that is his personal opinion and he is 100% entitled to that....remember home of the free and all that!) the 390xp better for the real world (which you are yet to get your head around) because of weight, speed, vibes and filtration....

Apart from the fact that the difference from a 32 to a 30 inch bar is not going to do sweet FA, and that you stated the wood was a misrepresentation of .........wood, that, you yourself cut.........oh and then the old .404 is real chain and 3/8th isnt.... well why is .404 real? Pro loggers started changing out from .404 to 3/8th in the mid 70's. why? Becasue it put trees on the ground faster and made them more money.....which as a pro wood cutter yourself should know is the main point for going to work......

But thanks for your insite into a world of which i couldnt even imagine

Serg

Last edited:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

enough with the buffoonary...

you have no idea how to do it properly...

The 660 and 880 are really good saws, they have both made the Stihl name a lot of money. The 440/460 has never appeased the needs of big wood for me. They are a sweet little saw for the landing, or small wood on highlead ground with a reduced weight bar.

I like the torque the 660 makes, but the way the 390 hits hard, revs, limbs, low vibe and sounds, it is a clear choice in my mind. The filtration is suberb as well. To each his own, but I really think this newer generation of Huskys will have to be reckoned with. My saw bills are half of what they use to be with Stihls. They just seem to run and run and run. JMHO.

The 660 and 880 are really good saws, they have both made the Stihl name a lot of money. The 440/460 has never appeased the needs of big wood for me. They are a sweet little saw for the landing, or small wood on highlead ground with a reduced weight bar.

I like the torque the 660 makes, but the way the 390 hits hard, revs, limbs, low vibe and sounds, it is a clear choice in my mind. The filtration is suberb as well. To each his own, but I really think this newer generation of Huskys will have to be reckoned with. My saw bills are half of what they use to be with Stihls. They just seem to run and run and run. JMHO.

Saw bills eh? Mine never break.:)

I run hopped up saws for a few reasons:

1. The power delievery and response is improved. You feel like the saw you are holding can now actually breath and run to it's potential. As a firewood cutter and "tree taker outer LOL" your needs are less demanding than ours.

2. Ported saws have the parts put together tighter and the casting flaws are removed. Look inside a stock saw and you'l gasp at all the imperfections in there, both brands. Along with the opened exhaust, they will run cooler, tighter, and last longer.

3. Safety. A hot saw will rip one off the stump quicker when you need it.

4. Production. When you cut logs all day, the amount of time spent on the buck and the stump adds up.

5. Irritation factor. Pros want more more more. Firewood cutters and "Arm chair fallers" like you only dream of cutting a lot wood in high production settings like us. Don't tell us you use to cut logs either, please. And if you did, ya there has been plenty like you over time that have gone down the road Jack.

I have to agree with BB. The original test is invalid. There is so much more to cut speed than engine or chain speed. I have often wondered why my saws dramatically slow down in the cut at some point. The reasons are countless! wood fiber. length of chip, space between cutters, kerf,heat.
ZG

I have to agree with BB. The original test is invalid. There is so much more to cut speed than engine or chain speed. I have often wondered why my saws dramatically slow down in the cut at some point. The reasons are countless! wood fiber. length of chip, space between cutters, kerf,heat.
ZG

Same bar and chain. Jasha is THE most qualified real world saw builder and timber faller here, hands down. He rarely stirs the pot for more than a few posts, and they are usually just in fun. The dude knows his ####.

00020148.gif

Same bar and chain. Jasha is THE most qualified real world saw builder and timber faller here, hands down. He rarely stirs the pot for more than a few posts, and they are usually just in fun. The dude knows his ####.

Yup. He knows what it takes to make a living with a saw. There's a couple of other good builders on AS, too, and I hear that they do fine work.

But Slingr' knows what it's like to have to hang in there at the stump, 'til the last possible minute, knows what it's like to have to cripple up a log on the ground so you don't lose the whole thing down the hill, and he absolutely knows what kind of a saw it takes to do the job and do it right.

I'll stick with the guy that has the real world experience. And I'll listen when he has something to say. His work speaks for itself.

Latest posts

Back