Stihl MS661 C-M first impressions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqvolmar87

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello AS!

My name is stephan, im a 26 year old chainsaw fanatic from south-western germany :D

Since two years, I read this site here a lot. I must say, it is blowing me away how much knowledge and experience some of you guys have! Especially the saw-builders! I am a big Fan of those professional builders like Terry Landrum, Brad Snelling, Mastermind, Stumpy and all the others!

I am very interested in worksaw modifications, but germany, the land of dolmar, stihl and solo is unfortunately a wasteland when it comes to modded worksaws. There is no one who port worksaws on a professional level . That's why I tried it myself and step by step I'm getting better. But there is still a long, long, long way for me to become even semi-pro. But this site has already helped me a lot!

Half a year ago, I was in contact with Terry Landrum. I helped him a little with his logo design and He sold me a “wicked work saw kit” for my 390! I'm still very excited about it! Terry is really a great guy!

Last week I got a brand new Stihl MS661 CM and I did a little test with it against my 390 with the “wicked work saw kit”. I already posted this comparison in our german “motorsaegen-portal”.

The test was not really good, because I had little time and the weather was very bad. But I had some good feedback for it.

Then I thought to myself, why I should not post it here?

So here is my first post on AS

Brand new MS 661 CM
BnRGAYL.jpg

Z3xTz0M.jpg

Here in comparison with my 390
1Ofrb8n.jpg

VhDnSqZ.jpg

Filtration differences between 261 and 661
The 661 has no pre-filtration!

ToZ6H0m.jpg

DyksqQH.jpg

WkHWTFp.jpg

Some first and nice impressions of the 661:
- excellent finish and quality
- good acceleration and throttle response
- great antivibration system
- high torque

Negative impressions:

the filtration is not impressive, so it looks after only two cuts in small beechwood.
0GRap5y.jpg

Here the videos

(both saws wearing 20" bars, new stihl rsc chains and 8 pin rims)

pvGjtEQ.jpg

F1J1pmi.jpg

Some cuts in hard beechwood

First two cuts without pushing the saws.
In the third cut i’ve tried to push both saws the same way.

Noodling test

Airfilter test

I know the test was not fair, but that ported 390 is the only other saw in that class that I have at the moment. I also would have liked to have thicker wood for the test, but in the matter of time it was not possible for me.

One thing I can say, out of the box, the 661 is a damn strong saw. The saw feels noticeable stronger and more agile then its predecessor 660. The m-tronic does an excellent job!
Also, the saw has only been run for ten minutes! I'm sure that the saw will get even stronger after a few tanks of fuel.

If you have questions, or want specific pictures or videos, I'll try to get it.

Throughout the week I will weigh both saws for comparison.

I hope it was something interesting for you, and of course not my last post on AS… ;)

Greetings Stephan

PS: excuse my bad english, I will improve it…school is so long ago :(
Is it possible to send this saw from germany to the u.s.? To a serious builder?

Good info, its too bad they had to change the air filter after I have already stocked up on the hd2 ones......

No need to apologize for your English. I think it is a big accomplishment to learn a second language. I am still trying to learn my first language.

Nice 390 still not sure what to make of the 661

what's the chances of popping the jug off to see what's inside :msp_rolleyes:

and if my rep is working you just got a positive rep

Last edited:
what's the chances of popping the jug off to see what's inside :msp_rolleyes:

and if my rep is working you just got a positive rep

i lovet to see the inside i wounder if its a Mahle cylinder

OP- how does the 661 feel in your hand as opposed to the 390xp? Weight, balance- just overall feel?

And your first post was fantastic- it was put together well, easy to follow, and easy to understand. It was very fluid I thought. It takes a lot of effort to put together a post like that.

Last edited:
Nice video. I'm sure with break in the 661 will gain. Is the antivibe better on the stihl?

Latest posts

Back