STIHL not sure about new gas/oil caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daemon2525

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, I'll admit that I am just starting Off-topic stuff. But with the new caps, you cannot fill the silly thing up and stihl get the lid on. The hydraulic pressure will not allow it. Also, the little string that is suppose to keep you from losing the cap came lose and will not automatically fix itself.

I loan my new saw to the neighbor and say "remember not to fill anything full or the lid will not go on!!!'

Also, was the "adjustable oiler screw spinning round and round" because the owner wrenched on it too hard valid?

I have a bet on this post, so don't let me down!! THANKS

LLA

Haven't had any fall apart yet, but have lost all my bar oiil twice:dizzy: Can't ever tell for sure that they are on right:buttkick:
Andy

The old style caps worked just fine, but when weak handed people used a bar wrench it wore through and then the cap leaked. The new caps are bogus. You can put the cap on a new saw (MS 200) when it is full of oil, you have to push down as you twist. I hate how often you have to mess with the cap to get it to even work sometimes. Arggg. This is not off topic either, it belongs under chainsaw.

The oiler was fixed under warranty.. no questions asked.. You'd have to be a gorilla to break the oiler screw anyhow..

Was that the answer you wanted :)

As for the "can't close if full". I over-fill all the time (mainly the oil tank &&^^^$%$$#) and I get the cap on if its just pressed in slowly.

No LAKE, I was not trying to refer to any earlier posts. That is why I waited a while to ask. When I tried to adjust mine, I did not realize that it turned so little. It only turns about 30 degrees. I expected it to turn "round and round" a couple of turns. That is why I suspect that folks break them. It does NOT say anything about this in the manual.

I'm not sure where you are coming from.

I'm not sure folks do "break them" with any regularity.. It's very rare to have a broken screw or pump shoulder. The manuals (saw dependant) do show the range from low to high though "E". Depends on the saw, but it's typically less than half a turn. The Symbols on the saw bottom show the range also.

I sorta like the new caps also. Never had a problem with the old ones, but also never had an oil spill, or not able to tell if Ive got the new ones seated or not.

You sound like a nice guy for loaning your saw to a neighbor. Stop it. You'll probably be sorry. Or be even nicer and go with the saw and do it yourself for him.

Well, on the other hand, a few years ago a friend called me up one morning, frantic for me to drive the 8 miles to his house with my saw. He had been trying to get me to help him cut down a fifty-sixty foot tree that was leaning about 20 degrees, hanging over his bedroom. I could see no way to do this, and the tree was living perfectly fine, so I said it wasn't wise. When I got over there, he had decided to do it anyway and had run a 3/8 inch rope [!!] from about 12 feet up the trunk [!!] across a hundred feet of hillside [!!] to a car parked in his neighbor's drive. Tied it off to the bumper. He'd taken his Homelite with a 14 inch bar and begun cutting. The tree started to go, leaning a lot farther over his house, but didn't pop the rope and the saw ended up falling to the ground and the handle breaking clean off. That's what I arrived to find. There were also workers from the local phone co. and Public Service as the tree now hung not only over his house but over the local utility lines to his house. I was pretty disgusted, but like a moron I said ok I'll help you but your house is not going to skate. He said, yeah, he had already figured on $5,000 to repair the bedroom after we were done. [Notice the "we."] To make a very long day's story short, I went and bought some more cable, put a tall ladder against the tree, made him climb up it and then I attached the end to another car to more triangulate the force on the tree. Scariest thing I've done is when I finished the cut, by which time the local sheriff and news crew were there and waiting to call an ambulance. The sheriff said, well, guys, there ain't no damn way that tree can come down and miss the house, and you are a couple of idiots. [I agreed.] But it came down ok, missed the house by a foot or so, missed the power lines, and I was able to make an exit before the tree did its thing. I told my friend that it was the absolute dumbest thing he'd ever done, and the dumbest thing I'd ever done to come over and help him after I spent six months telling him not to do it. My wife was very impressed. I don't have to explain, I guess, that it was a very negative impression and she told me all about it. And she was correct. The story got around thru the local area and eventually to friends of mine hundreds of miles away...someone sent photos of the tree hanging suspended over the house and me in there cutting.

Last edited:
SteveH said:
You sound like a nice guy for loaning your saw to a neighbor. Stop it. You'll probably be sorry. Or be even nicer and go with the saw and do it yourself for him.

Well, on the other hand, a few years ago a friend called me up one morning, frantic for me to drive the 8 miles to his house with my saw. He had been trying to get me to help him cut down a fifty-sixty foot tree that was leaning about 20 degrees, hanging over his bedroom. I could see no way to do this, and the tree was living perfectly fine, so I said it wasn't wise. When I got over there, he had decided to do it anyway and had run a 3/8 inch rope [!!] from about 12 feet up the trunk [!!] across a hundred feet of hillside [!!] to a car parked in his neighbor's drive. Tied it off to the bumper. He'd taken his Homelite with a 14 inch bar and begun cutting. The tree started to go, leaning a lot farther over his house, but didn't pop the rope and the saw ended up falling to the ground and the handle breaking clean off. That's what I arrived to find. There were also workers from the local phone co. and Public Service as the tree now hung not only over his house but over the local utility lines to his house. I was pretty disgusted, but like a moron I said ok I'll help you but your house is not going to skate. He said, yeah, he had already figured on $5,000 to repair the bedroom after we were done. [Notice the "we."] To make a very long day's story short, I went and bought some more cable, put a tall ladder against the tree, made him climb up it and then I attached the end to another car to more triangulate the force on the tree. Scariest thing I've done is when I finished the cut, by which time the local sheriff and news crew were there and waiting to call an ambulance. The sheriff said, well, guys, there ain't no damn way that tree can come down and miss the house, and you are a couple of idiots. [I agreed.] But it came down ok, missed the house by a foot or so, missed the power lines, and I was able to make an exit before the tree did its thing. I told my friend that it was the absolute dumbest thing he'd ever done, and the dumbest thing I'd ever done to come over and help him after I spent six months telling him not to do it. My wife was very impressed. I don't have to explain, I guess, that it was a very negative impression and she told me all about it. And she was correct. The story got around thru the local area and eventually to friends of mine hundreds of miles away...someone sent photos of the tree hanging suspended over the house and me in there cutting.

Good story.
I figure we all have done some stupid things in our life. You got away with it and are one experience richer, and hopefully learned from it.

Too bad you didn't have Sappy around for assistance. He would surely have helped you out on this one, with all his infinite wisdom and all...: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

PS. I don't like the new Stihl caps either. Explained this in detail in an earlier thread, can't remember which one. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=30316&highlight=stihl+caps

Last edited:
They suck. One oil bath so far. My guess is that Stihl will change them within the next few years.

Great story SteveH. That was a good laugh. Good for you helping out your buddy in his time of stupidity :bang: . That is a hard quality to find. I hope you have weathered the embarassment ;). Are the pics available anywhere? I'm not trying to resurrect the pain but I'd be interested to see the scenario.

SteveH said:

Well, on the other hand, [snip]...

Good on ya Steve! You may have been embarrassed but you were there for your friend when he needed you.

The caps. I look at them as a solution to a non-problem. I don't mind them, kinda like em even but really, how much trouble was it to unscrew the old style? Never had one of them that I had to use a scrench on.

Harry K

I don't mind the new caps, but it was a solution to a problem that didn't need fixing! Maybe someone will make a cap that fits in the new hole but works like the old one!

Latest posts

Back