Stihl Oil Mixture

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a container from my local Marina that has marking on it for different ratios. I need 4 different ratios for equipment, so it comes in handy. Especially if you only want a little gas at 24 or 25:1. Bailey's sells something similar for about $5. I like mine because it has a screw cap so you travel with the oil needed.

All of you imperialists ought to know that this is MUCH easier under the metric system, right??

I can't get my head around ounces, gallons (US versus imperial), chains, furlongs, miles, 110 Volts - sheesh!

1 Litre gas + 20mls oil = 50:1
1 Litre gas + 25mls oil = 40:1
1 Litre gas + 30mls oil = 32:1

Grab a cheap plastic syringe or burette and you're gold.

EASY, DONE, SIGNED-SEALED-AND-STAMPED, GAME-OVER, METRIC FTW!! :p

Don't be so smug kiwiguy. 1 Litre gas + 30mls oil = 33.333333333:1

Metric is better for decimal units, but 32:1 in the US system is simply 'half a cup per gallon' , not 31.25 ml per liter! Plus, all of our gasoline is sold by the US gallon and the oil in ounces, so converting into metric units first adds another layer of conversions.

BTW - how do you measure your chain pitch?

Philbert

Heck... it's a lot easier to mix it at 50:1:monkey:
+10000
One bottle to two gallons of gas.

chainsaws116.jpg

Yes, I was hoping for something similar to that for 32:1, since I read that a lot of guys are running 32:1. I wonder why that is, unless maybe they are not using Stihl oil, so they up the ratio to get more oil. Which I plan to use Stihl oil, so I guess 50:1 prolly would be completely sufficient since Stihl says 50:1 and sells the oil for that.

+10000
One bottle to two gallons of gas.

chainsaws116.jpg

Don't be so smug kiwiguy. 1 Litre gas + 30mls oil = 33.333333333:1

Metric is better for decimal units, but 32:1 in the US system is simply 'half a cup per gallon' , not 31.25 ml per liter! Plus, all of our gasoline is sold by the US gallon and the oil in ounces, so converting into metric units first adds another layer of conversions.

BTW - how do you measure your chain pitch?

Philbert

Hehe - damn my bad maths! Good point about how the gas is sold too - damn my bad logic!

And damn your good deductions - we measure chain pitch the same way we still measure baby weights, TV size and phalluses - in pounds and inches respectively.

All of you imperialists ought to know that this is MUCH easier under the metric system, right??

I can't get my head around ounces, gallons (US versus imperial), chains, furlongs, miles, 110 Volts - sheesh!

1 Litre gas + 20mls oil = 50:1
1 Litre gas + 25mls oil = 40:1
1 Litre gas + 30mls oil = 32:1

Grab a cheap plastic syringe or burette and you're gold.

EASY, DONE, SIGNED-SEALED-AND-STAMPED, GAME-OVER, METRIC FTW!! :p

I disagree on the metric system being "MUCH easier" It actually seems too simple at times. While for general purposes it is prolly much easier, but being in the electronics field I feel it is too simple and can be the cause for mistakes. When calculating from different exponents of units, its too easy to misread the exponent or typo in the calculator...did I get 9 zeros or only 8 zeros, etc. when trying to calculate something from Pico(units) to giga(units). If you only have to deal with milli centi, (unit), and kilo...it can be quite easy, but still pretty easy to goof. I can go TYPICALLY (possibly even more at times, or in the future) anywhere from 12 zeros before the decimal (tera) or 12 zeros after the decimal (pico) and having to step at 3 zeros at a time, too easy to only punch in 2 of those 3.

Yeah Yeah Yeah, I get it Shut the F up Engineer, this is a chain saw thread

Why would you want to run a saw set up for 50:1 with 32:1 mix? Espically with the ultra, people that use amsoil synthetic run 100:1. I just don't understand.

Where's Gary!!!!
Actually, I mix 40/1 because of a couple of my saws are older Dolmars and have always run that so I run it in everything. 3 ounces too a gallon is 40/1.:cheers:

I remember reading somewhere on here that a lot of you guys are running saws with 32:1 oil mixture, despite the Mfr recommended 50:1. I was just wondering if you had a very easy way to measure the oil out. I know they make those fancy lil bottles that say mix with 2 gal gas can, etc...but those are for a 50:1 mixture. I am doing the math and can't seem to find out an easy way to make 32:1. I do have a 2 gal can already, so if anyone has a good way with that, it'd be great, if not, for ease I will run out and buy a new can of the best size for easiest measuring.

Thanks

32/50 is approx. 5/8, or exactly 64/100. Just add 0.64 gallon of gasoline to the can for every gallon's worth of 50:1 oil you pour into the can.

I run Stihl Ultra at 45:1, so a 2 gal. bottle of oil gets mixed with 1.8 gallons of gasoline.

Since virtually all gasoline pumps are the new digital ones, the easiest way to custom ix your oil and gas is to use the gas pump. If you can feather your grip, it is accurate to 0.001 gallon. Way more precise than the dispenser that fills the oil bottles, perhaps.

Here ya go poor in the oil to the correct level for the amount of fuel and the mix you want. This is what I use they also make a racing gas can that you fill with gas on a scale of 1 to 10 and then poor the oil in on a scale of 1 to 10 and it has all of the mix ratios on also. http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...Id=119&productId=p2915&leafCatId=11904&mmyId=

I use a Ratio Rite for fuel oil mixes, plus motorcycle tranny, engine and fork oil measurements. Best tool I have in the shop for measuring liquids.
They are cheap too:

http://www.amazon.com/Ratio-Rite-Measuring-Cup/dp/B001DDGE3A

Bailey's carries them as well. They work great.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17090&catID=150

Back