stihl or husky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scaczac

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
ok i know i'm opening up a can of worms but i have a question.should i get a stihl 310 or a husky 460 with a 20 in. bar.they are both pretty much identical in power ,weight and price.i mostly use them for firewood cutting but i need a dependable saw.i currently have a husky 350 but i need to go bigger.any suggestion will be greatly appreciated

ok i know i'm opening up a can of worms but i have a question.should i get a stihl 310 or a husky 460 with a 20 in. bar.they are both pretty much identical in power ,weight and price.i mostly use them for firewood cutting but i need a dependable saw.i currently have a husky 350 but i need to go bigger.any suggestion will be greatly appreciated

Get either one. Or spend a little more and get a much better saw like a Stihl361 or a Husky 372. If you're just cutting firewood and you're not into gigantic trees either of these will do fine...and they don't cost enough more to bother about. Treat them right and they'll last you a lifetime.

I just spent $60 bucks converting a 455 rancher to run Stihl chain (Oregon 0.050 bar and Stihl 33RSC chain). The stuff that came with the Husky was quite pathetic in comparison. The saw itself is decent enough, but not what the Stihl MS290 is. The Husky is tight around the clutch and therefore difficult to change the clutch. The Husky anti-vibe is quite sloppy and precision cut placement is difficult.

The Stihl 290 was easier to change the bar/chain and performed better (more power, better anti-vibe control). The husky was slightly better to start (also considerably newer than the Stihl 290 I ran).

It is very difficult to get an aftermarket bar for the Husky. Husky uses many different bar mounts and the aftermarket companies don't keep up. I think I am correct in saying there is only 1 aftermarket bar for the 455. Stihl runs essentially the same bar mount on almost all of their saws....and have been doing so for decades. That means you have dozens of options for bars/chains. I run Stihl chain exclusively because I have yet to find anything that matches its oiling and stay sharp abillity.

I was having a lot of problems with the Husky 455 covering me with oil mist. That has gone away since changing to Stihl chain.

I know neither of the Stihl or Husky are the exact model you are thinking about....but I know the only difference in the Stihl is the jug size and assume the Huskies are very similar as well.

My next saw will be an MS361. I own a mid 70s vintage Stihl 031AV now, and have total access to my brothers 455 Rancher. I use the brand new rancher as a backup.

I am willing to bet that you will be happy with either the Stihl or Husky.

Last edited:
Buy a Makita 6401 on ebay, you can get them for around $350 I think it's a better saw (same thing as a Dolmar 6400) and if you ever want more power you can put a big bore jug on it to turn it into a 7900/7901!

I just spent $60 bucks converting a 455 rancher to run Stihl chain (Oregon 0.050 bar and Stihl 33RSC chain). The stuff that came with the Husky was quite pathetic in comparison. The saw itself is decent enough, but not what the Stihl MS290 is. The Husky is tight around the clutch and therefore difficult to change the clutch. The Husky anti-vibe is quite sloppy and precision cut placement is difficult.

The Stihl 290 was easier to change the bar/chain and performed better (more power, better anti-vibe control). The husky was slightly better to start (also considerably newer than the Stihl 290 I ran).

It is very difficult to get an aftermarket bar for the Husky. Husky uses many different bar mounts and the aftermarket companies don't keep up. I think I am correct in saying there is only 1 aftermarket bar for the 455. Stihl runs essentially the same bar mount on almost all of their saws....and have been doing so for decades. That means you have dozens of options for bars/chains. I run Stihl chain exclusively because I have yet to find anything that matches its oiling and stay sharp abillity.

I was having a lot of problems with the Husky 455 covering me with oil mist. That has gone away since changing to Stihl chain.

I know neither of the Stihl or Husky are the exact model you are thinking about....but I know the only difference in the Stihl is the jug size and assume the Huskies are very similar as well.

My next saw will be an MS361. I own a mid 70s vintage Stihl 031AV now, and have total access to my brothers 455 Rancher. I use the brand new rancher as a backup.

I am willing to bet that you will be happy with either the Stihl or Husky.

Aftermarket bars are not hard to find for Husqvarna. The 455 uses the standard small mount just like the 346xp, 357xp, etc. Husky uses 3 bar mount patterns that I know of : one for top handle saws, the small mount mentioned above, and the large mount for the 372xp and larger.

Guess how many Stihl uses,

that's right, 3.

I would handle both saws and see which one you like the best. I had an MS310 and it was a good saw but I think the 455/460 would also be a good choice.
Flyboy is wrong about the availability of aftermarket bars for the Husky. The small mount Husky pattern is used on tons of other saws like dolmar, etc. I have managed to get 4 aftermarket bars for my husky which uses that same pattern. They are readily available from Oregon, GB, Carlton, etc.

I would handle both saws and see which one you like the best. I had an MS310 and it was a good saw but I think the 455/460 would also be a good choice.
Flyboy is wrong about the availability of aftermarket bars for the Husky. The small mount Husky pattern is used on tons of other saws like dolmar, etc. I have managed to get 4 aftermarket bars for my husky which uses that same pattern. They are readily available from Oregon, GB, Carlton, etc.

I guess I have been corrected. Thank you for that. I tried getting a bar for that saw for awhile and no one ever listed the 455 as a compatible saw. Now I know.

I guess I have been corrected. Thank you for that. I tried getting a bar for that saw for awhile and no one ever listed the 455 as a compatible saw. Now I know.

Not a big deal. I had to do some research and deciphering to figure it out.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back