Stihl Picco 3 Duro Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybigboy34

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anybody running them or any other carbide tip chain? Was wondering if they were any good and if they lasted along time before you have to sharpen it?

Thanks

Anybody running them or any other carbide tip chain? Was wondering if they were any good and if they lasted along time before you have to sharpen it?

Thanks

They do pretty good. Run it in the ground and it keeps on cutting. Main drawback is the user can't sharpen it when its due. Those chains require a diamond wheel, a file or regular grinding wheel is worthless on those chains..

i wanted to try one but it cost about 200 bucks. bought another saw for that price

i wanted to try one but it cost about 200 bucks. bought another saw for that price

Nooooooooooooo about 45.00 for a 16incher. Seems your talking about the 36RD chain, thats 200.00 a loop for 20inches. Think thats bad, a 36RDR72 they use on the fire trucks is 362.00 a loop for 20 inches.

The chain the OP is talking about is a small chain they use only on the little MS230 saw. They changed the chain on it and now call the unit a MS230Duro..

Nooooooooooooo about 45.00 for a 16incher. Seems your talking about the 36RD chain, thats 200.00 a loop for 20inches. Think thats bad, a 36RDR72 they use on the fire trucks is 362.00 a loop for 20 inches.

The chain the OP is talking about is a small chain they use only on the little MS230 saw. They changed the chain on it and now call the unit a MS230Duro..

Well actually I was talking about the RD chain as well. I just listed the wrong chain in the original post sorry. I called my local dealer and he can order me one for $147.

Well actually I was talking about the RD chain as well. I just listed the wrong chain in the original post sorry. I called my local dealer and he can order me one for $147.

He can, they list for 199.95, hint, he's still making 47.00 on it.....

So is this the same as the RDR chain? If not, what is the difference?

No no, the RDR is way heavier than the RD chain. For sawing wood neither one are worth a hoot in hell, they cut wood very slow. Those chains are made for rescue operations, not firewood cutting. The little 63 Duro chain is made for firewood cutting...

No no, the RDR is way heavier than the RD chain. For sawing wood neither one are worth a hoot in hell, they cut wood very slow. Those chains are made for rescue operations, not firewood cutting. The little 63 Duro chain is made for firewood cutting...

I am glad I talked to you first. I was going to buy one so I wouldn't have to sharpen my chain as much, but if it doesn't cut good I don't want it. Is there a size in the 63 duro chain that would fit a 460?

Thanks

I am glad I talked to you first. I was going to buy one so I wouldn't have to sharpen my chain as much, but if it doesn't cut good I don't want it. Is there a size in the 63 duro chain that would fit a 460?

Thanks

Not yet, its only on the 230 model in 16 inch. The 63 Duro chain works real well and handles dirt and abrasion alot better than standard chains. The problem with carbide chains is they require a diamond wheel to sharpen them with, costly wheels...

Not yet, its only on the 230 model in 16 inch. The 63 Duro chain works real well and handles dirt and abrasion alot better than standard chains. The problem with carbide chains is they require a diamond wheel to sharpen them with, costly wheels...

Well that sucks, but thanks for all your help! Do you have a chain recommendation for dirty wood for a 460?

Thanks

Well that sucks, but thanks for all your help! Do you have a chain recommendation for dirty wood for a 460?

Thanks

The RM cutter, a round cutter, last alot longer in dirty wood than the RS cutter, the square cutter. RS chains are awesome in clean wood but dull faster than RM chains in dirty wood. You give up alittle cut speed for longivity in dirty wood using RM chains..

Those are some crazy prices! 33/6RD72 here is about $110. The 36RDR72 is about $260. Hmmm, no wonder I sell quite a bit of carbide chains.

Thanks

Use the Oregon multichrome chains. More durable than regular chains but not quite as long lasting as a carbide. This chain is used for roots and dirty filthy wood. I used to sell them in the Picco size but since the Duro came out there's no use.

The PD carbide tooth chain (3/8 lo-profile) when properly sharpened will cut with the best of the 3/8 lo-pro chains. It is about two and a half times the price of chromed tooth PM chain, but can go much longer between sharpenings. The PD (3/8) carbide tooth chain is made for cutting dirty wood and works very well. It also cuts wood about as well as RM when properly sharpened. Many fire departments use it for fire and rescue, but the carbide inserts are prone to being stripped out when metal objects are encountered. A few years ago Stihl sold the RDS carbide chain for fire and rescue. This chain used a carbide insert mounted on a pair of side plates, which made it much stronger but provided poor chip clearance. The current fire and rescue offering is the RDR chain, which has a larger and stronger attachment of the carbide insert to the single side plate, but is said to provide good chip clearance. I haven't used the RDR chain yet, but I really like the PD and RD chain. I think the PD chain would be a good milling chain. I have the diamond wheel for my chain grinder and the diamond stones for my Dremel-type grinders. Sharpening is about the same as for chromed teeth, it just goes a little slower.

The PD carbide tooth chain (3/8 lo-profile) when properly sharpened will cut with the best of the 3/8 lo-pro chains. It is about two and a half times the price of chromed tooth PM chain, but can go much longer between sharpenings. The PD (3/8) carbide tooth chain is made for cutting dirty wood and works very well. It also cuts wood about as well as RM when properly sharpened. Many fire departments use it for fire and rescue, but the carbide inserts are prone to being stripped out when metal objects are encountered. A few years ago Stihl sold the RDS carbide chain for fire and rescue. This chain used a carbide insert mounted on a pair of side plates, which made it much stronger but provided poor chip clearance. The current fire and rescue offering is the RDR chain, which has a larger and stronger attachment of the carbide insert to the single side plate, but is said to provide good chip clearance. I haven't used the RDR chain yet, but I really like the PD and RD chain. I think the PD chain would be a good milling chain. I have the diamond wheel for my chain grinder and the diamond stones for my Dremel-type grinders. Sharpening is about the same as for chromed teeth, it just goes a little slower.

Pd carbide? Is that a stihl chain? I don't see it on their site.

The lo-pro Stihl carbide-tooth chain is PICCO Duro3 (PD3) and comes standard on their MS 230 saw. In my post I mistakenly used PD instead of RD when I talked about the 3/8 pitch chain.

Back