stihl pro saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodytreecare

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
im looking to get a new saw and the idiots at all the local stores cant give me any info on the "real" difference between the regular stihls and the pro series. if anybody could, what are the exact differences (saw life, toughness, anti-vibe) in the pros and regular saws, i just wanna make sure.

:blob2: I read somewhere that stihl test the pro models 300 hrs straight and the regulars 150 hrs straight. If you can afford the difference in price I am sure the pro's are better. You get what you pay for. We recently (in the last 2 years) have been sticking to stihls pro's exclusively.

I think it comes down to features and R&D. You'll see features like a decompression valve and available full wrap handles on the pro models (260 and 361 excluded). And you'll see consumer aimed features like Easy 2 Start and toolless chain tensioner on the homeonwer saws. Then it comes down to the amount of time and money Stihl puts into developing that saw. Why does the 361 weigh a pound less than the 290, but it still has more hp? Why does the 440 weigh only .4 lbs more than the 290/310/390, and blow them all out of the water as far as hp, torque, and longevity? The answer is R&D. The pro saws are also of a construction that is considered to be better than that of the homeowner saws-namely the vertically split case, compared to the horizontally split case.

Now I owned a 310 for a while, and it was a decent saw for what it was meant to be able to do, but I sold it and upgraded to a 361. The saw weighs less, has more power, and is just an all out better performer. And yeah, it cost me more $$ too, but definately worth it.

Jeff

a 260 is a 260

there is an artic version as well, I believe it has a heated handle bar, compression release (not much need on small saw), and i think an adjustable oiler. but when i bought a 260 a couple years ago the difference for the extra features was 150$

The 260pro has a decomp valve, adjustable oiler, and the oiler doesnt pump oil when the saw is idling. these features arent on the non pro version, but quality is the same still.

What about cast versus forged parts? Are the homeowner saws put together using dubious quality alloys and cheaper castings?

They wouldnt use low quality parts. this is a company built on good saws that dont spend their life in a shop like most poulans or crapsmans do.

Latest posts

Back