Stihl Pronunciation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deere John

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got to ask as I just heard it on the radio again and it is driving me (more) nuts.

Question: Do you pronounce Stihl as "Still" or as "Steel"?

I have worked in logging in Ontario and British Columbia and toured other regions. In all my travels over the years, I have never heard a sole pronounce it "Steel", yet all the advertizing and sponsorship verbage says "Steel".

I don't doubt that pronunciation is directly influenced by the advertizing agency trying to liken the product to the thought that it is as "tough as steel". Yet, if you ask anyone in my industry how they like their "steel" chainsaw, they will most certainly give you the greenhorn look and write you off as someone not to waste a terrible amount of time on.

Mostly-nuts John - still the owner of 6 Still saws

OK, this is a favorite of mine:

1. The company named "Stihl" says "Steel".

2. The name "Stihl" isn't a conventional German word.

3. If the name was German, it would be spelt "Steihl".

4. If you were German, you'd pronouce it "schteel".

5. Again, if you were German, you wouldn't pronouce anything as "still".

So, in the end nothing is correct. I say "steel" because that's the most logical. The fact that company says that is a plus, too. The dealer seems to use "steel". The use of "still" is mass North American confusion.

BTW: It's a good thing you never heard a sole say "steel." Flounders aren't supposed to talk to people.

Last edited:
You hardly ever hear anyone pronounce Porsche correctly either. So you can saw up your "Porsh with your still", or conversely, saw up one's "Poor-sha" with one's "Steel". It's your call.

Heck, some people even spell favorite "favourite". Ha!

Man I hate when they do that to the American language. :D

There's perfect logic behind that. German for steel, the metal, is "stahl". Pronounced "schtall" if you you want to get fancy.

Around here many say ''Home-a-lite'' for what reason I dont know:D

And Jonsonred

Poulan is it pull-on or poo-lan?:D

I think you cant go wrong with Pioneer for easiest to say, though somebody probably could mess that up too.

I always thought Poulan was pullin. Because that's all you do when you try to start one-pullin' and pullin' and pullin'.

The wifes family was from Arkansas,Moved to Washinton state after wwII.Her Dad was a logger , and one of the finest men I ever knew.He lived in warsh-ington, and did a bit of logging in I-dee -hoe. Right or wrong I'll stick with Washington,Idaho,and still
Rosco
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having fun cuz I want to do it

Rush,hoser, I know it's not your name but I think it sounds better so that's how I'll refer to you from now on. Dang that sounds IGNORANT NOW DOESN'T IT! Stihl is the family name and they pronounce it "steel" , to do otherwise shows lack of respect or ignorance, what's you pleasure?

Ouch , I got clobbered for that one.No disrespect intended.I don't doubt that steel is the correct way to pronounce it.People from different parts of the country pronounce things differently.My wife and I are both from the pacific northwest ,both our familys were fed and clothed by the timber industry, and neither one of us has heard stihl pronounced steel.When I'm speaking to someone , I say still so they know what I'm talking about.I don't pronounce husqvarna like Paul Harvey does either,not out of disrespect, but so people can understand me. Didn't mean to ruffle any tailfeathers
Rosco
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosshuber43, I'm over my little "hissy fit". Pehaps now you could correct people when they say it wrong. You could take to carrying around a copy of the Stihl catalog, because the correct pronunciation is on one of the first few pages. Paul

What catalog? I'm looking in my 2000 power tool catalog and i can't find anything about the name.

OK, it's my turn to have my foot in my mouth. I couldn't find it in the catalog either but , I KNOW I've seen it in print other than on the web-site.

We don't pronounce our last name in proper German either,Americanized you know.
Rosco
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard it called poll-un too.

Then there is that artist who cut his ear off over a whore, Van Gogh. If you say it correctly it sounds like your hacking sumething up.

Latest posts

Back