STIHL question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm no chain saw expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have an intererest in them.

Over the years, I keep hearing that the "even" # saws are better quality than the "odd" # saws. Supposedly, the even # saws are commericial / professional grade.

A couple of years ago, I was in a saw shop buying some supplies, and happened to notice a STIHL sales rep in the store. Beings that he was waiting to speak to the busy store manager, I took it upon myself to ask him a couple of questions, one of which, was the one I asked just above.

He told me that there was absolutely no difference in quality or performance between the even / odd # saws. He went on to say that the saws just had different model #'s and that was it. He said that ALL STIHL saws are built to the same exacting standards (his words).

So....was he pulling my leg or what is the real story? If what he told me wasn't the truth, why would a STIHL rep say such?

I think the salesman was right. If you look at the current line up, there are only three odd numbers; 009, 361, 191. The 361 is getting good reviews.

I think there may be a slight difference in quality among the major categories of saws, such as occasional use, mid-range, pro, and arborist, but those differences are probably reflected in price more than anything else.

When Stihl went to the XX0 numbering system, all of their saws became even numbers. We need to look at the base numbers to get any kind of idea as to where the saw sits. The 361 is a replacement to the 360, which was the 036-an even numbered saw. I pretty much think that the numbering system has gone out the door, because the 280, which is supposed to be the 028 really isn't, as they aren't the same saw. And if you were to look at the numbers as they used to be, in the 0XX manner, would the MS 650 equate to an 065? There never was such a saw, but it would be an odd number...is that a homeowner saw? I think a person needs to understand that while a Stihl is a Stihl, and you could probably count on an expected level of quality across the board, you should also expect a 361 to perform, behave, and handle better than a MS 390. The 290 is a good saw...in the role it was meant to fill. It's not supposed to be a pro saw. It's not built or engineered like one. The "quality" is still there, but the construction (horizontally split case, pwr/wt ratio, lack of decomp., etc) isn't the same.

Jeff

on the older saws, it just happenned that the newer, lighter, cheaper saws, just happenned to be odd numbers, as the strong saws were 024,026,034,036, and so on.

I think what Stihl has done (on their web site and catalogues) to identify saws as occasional use, mid-range, and pro saws is much better than an undisclosed numbering scheme. Without actually saying that pro saws are built to a higher standard, there is an obvious inference that pro saws are built for a more demanding workload and higher durability.

The problem is that those product category lines get blurred in the dealer showroom when saws are often displayed in price or model number order. The customer is left wondering why is a 260 more expensive than a 270, 280, or 290. The dealer then has to try to explain a rather complex feature matrix.

And to answer the question

Yes there is a difference between the home-owner saw and the pro saws.

I would rather have an MS200T than a MS190T.

For example some of the home-owner saws have plastic chasis whilst the pro saws have alloy.

The easiest way to tell if you have no idea of model numbers of what is a pro saw vs home-owner saw in the same engine size is by the PRICE. The pro saws are way dearer.

Ekka said:
And to answer the question

Yes there is a difference between the home-owner saw and the pro saws.

I would rather have an MS200T than a MS190T.

For example some of the home-owner saws have plastic chasis whilst the pro saws have alloy.

The easiest way to tell if you have no idea of model numbers of what is a pro saw vs home-owner saw in the same engine size is by the PRICE. The pro saws are way dearer.

This is what made me somewhat suspicious. According to the STIHL rep, he made it sound as if every STIHL was comparable in quality. It was just a matter of how much $$ you wanted to pay and how big a saw you needed.

If indeed, there is a difference in build quality, he should have just said so, rather than try to mask it with a bunch of double-talk. :dizzy:

Isn't it all a question of semantics? You can have two saw built to "the same exacting standards" but one could have a lot of plastic parts and the other have all metal. Price, build quality, and durability could vary accordingly but that doesn't mean they are not built to the highest standards.

I certainly don't want to defend the salesman, but it is important to note that he never said that all Stihl saws were created equal. Over time some engineering decisions prove to be better than others and individual saws gain strong reputations.

As I recall, the 026 was not originally promoted or designed as a pro saw, but over time, it proved to be a winner and was elevated to the pro ranks. That can only happen in a system where all says are built to the highest standards.

quality

Define quality. Better machining? Less polymer? Power to weight?

I can not say there is less quality in a 290 compared to a 260. There is a different design. At one time I was told there are better bearings ib a 260, but I have never had a crank bearing or crank fail in a 290.
All failures are due to lack of maintenance , dirt, improper fuel, no oil or water usually being the culprit. In all fairness, it is the biggest killer of any brand of saw.
From my experience, I look at trouble free working hours. In daily use. In this area, Stihl is on top, IMHO.

according to the builders here. theres more difference than just what they are made from. they can tell u ,not me as i only take what they say and repeat it. this on older pro saws in anycase.me i think the evens were made different.

The Stihl salesmen really did some acrobatics when they were spinning the fs36
trimmer a decade or so ago, now they will quietly admit it was junk. Yes, some
of them might have given decent service, and so on, but the same could be spun
about the idc/ryan/ryobi junk too, which the fs36 was.
The newer saws are manufactered more cheaply dollar wise, for profit reasons,
whether or not that equates the same qualitywise, is the arguement. The saws
are harder to work on as well, which is what Stihl wants too. They put the parts
prices up high also, to sell more saws. They do not want the owner to run a saw for years and years anymore, but sell them a new one every few years

I have a STIHL FS-44 weedeater, which is actually a Ryobi. I didn't find this out until after the sale. :angry:

But....I have to say, it's been a great weedeater. I tend to over-maintain my power tools, so I'm sure that is one aspect of it's longevity.

It's got plenty of power and handles well. Easy starting to boot. When I bought it, I think I paid right at $200.00 for it.

Hey All...

New to the site here, but just had to say, I have a FS 36 disassembled in my shop on the work bench right now. I remember when they came out, a sales rep telling me that there were 47 changes to the ryobi engine that they put on the FS 36. Looking at this one, he may be right, but it didn't make this ryobi a "quality" unit. A word to the wise, any 2 stroke ( or 4 stroke for that matter), that only has a crank bearing on one end of the crankshaft, has a short life span built into the design of the engine. ( I personally think that at least 40 of the special 47 stihl changes were the fancy stihl torx screws that they replaced the ryobi torx screws with... :dizzy: )

One thing people don't think about in the quality department is that the price of a saw normally does indicate the quality. A good quality large saw that costs $600.00 will only be equal in quality to a say, $580.00 small saw. But no one can sell a 2.0 cu in saw for $580.00, so they make them cheaper, literally. No one can say that the difference between a $200.00 saw and the $600.00 saw is the amount of more aluminum and plastic put into the "bigger" saw. It's just common sense. Happy Trails.....

Chainsaw Wizard
"Resurrecting the dead on a daily basis". :blob5:

Latest posts

Back