Stihl Rollomatic ES Wide Vs Narrow tip and Weight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The plastic seats the screws nice and tight and keeps them from rotating. Without them it is like the old 020AV I had. That thing would detune itself in about an hour, so I threaded the carb screw in with garbage bag plastic to 'lock' them into place. So it only needed tuning every 4 hours or so. I sold that saw...

Last edited:
I know that. But... if you are not going to do bore cutting, then you are not apt to have any problems from kickback from having a wide nose bar. Its kind of a Catch-22. And typical in these days of OSHA controlled technology. The guy has a wide nose bar, may as well keep it, as it will last longer.

A greenhorn or even someone who has worked a little too long on a empty stomach, running a saw with the wide nose bar decides to cut some brush out of the way at shoulder level and receives a severe kickback to the face. Happens many times across our great land.

Last edited:
A greenhorn or even someone who has worked a little too long on a empty stomach, running a saw with the wide nose bar decides to cut some brush out of the way at shoulder level and receives a severe kickback to the face. Happens many times across our great land.

And the kickback from a slightly narrower nose bar is going to be nice and friendly in that sitiation? :monkey:

I fail to see what the big difference would be. If some greenhorn or whimp or drunk is using a saw wrong, or do not respect or understand its potential, then they have no business using a chainsaw. Murphy and Darwin will take care of them. Personally I find the kickback safety thing to be completely overrated. About like drop starting saws vs starting them on the ground. Also if you are fatigued or have low blood sugar, put the damn saw down. Or switch to a lighter one. Realize your limits. If you do not, Murphy will find them for you.

And the kickback from a slightly narrower nose bar is going to be nice and friendly in that sitiation? :monkey:

I fail to see what the big difference would be. If some greenhorn or whimp or drunk is using a saw wrong, or do not respect or understand its potential, then they have no business using a chainsaw. Murphy and Darwin will take care of them. Personally I find the kickback safety thing to be completely overrated. About like drop starting saws vs starting them on the ground. Also if you are fatigued or have low blood sugar, put the damn saw down. Or switch to a lighter one. Realize your limits. If you do not, Murphy will find them for you.

Well said - I am so tired of having to protect EVERY idiot in the world, let the natural order of things handle that! REP to you my friend. (Out of bullets- get ya next time.)

The point with the wide tips is just that they are better for plunge-/bore-cutting - if you don't do that it is just dead extra weight!

Last edited:
You guys are making me think too much. Should I keep the yellow bar or swap it for the green one. I'm not a pro at cutting but pretty good at common sense. If I cut with this bar 20" into a 30" log (rare but a few) will it want to spit the bar back more often. My biggest saw I have used is a MS290 with no problems. This is a MS660

Keep talking my friend, its thinking like that what gets people hurt. Yes a narrow tip bar WILL be better in that situation. Don't forget Stihl's 20 inch bar with the huge wide 13 tooth sprocket nose is bigger then the old 2 7/8" full roller noses.[Let me educate you, the bigger the nose radius the more kickback injury is produced.] And yes greenhorns have to learn how to use a saw too, and also to the arborist who is trying to get that last tree down quickly at the end of a long day because he has the road blocked off.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the kickback from a slightly narrower nose bar is going to be nice and friendly in that sitiation? :monkey: .....

Most likely the kick-back energy will be less - and let's hope the chain-brake works, large or small nose......

Last edited:
Most likely the kick-back energy will be less - and let's hope the chain-brake works, large or small nose......

Well said SawTroll. But don't forget not all saws chain-brakes are inertia activated. Even the good interia ones still allow the chain to make one complete revolution after locking at WOT the moment the bar tip contacts your skin. And when that bar tip contacts its like getting hit by a hammer.
That film of bar oil on the clutch drum and brake band allows that slippage to happen.

Last edited:
ohhh, Man I wasn't trying to start an online war. I was just trying to see if I should exchange the 13 tooth Wide Nose bar 20" for the Smaller nose one before I get it all greasy and put it on. I'm no logger but Have about 15 cords of wood to cut in the next couple weeks.

ohhh, Man I wasn't trying to start an online war. I was just trying to see if I should exchange the 13 tooth Wide Nose bar 20" for the Smaller nose one before I get it all greasy and put it on. I'm no logger but Have about 15 cords of wood to cut in the next couple weeks.

Take my advice Racerboy get rid of it. I once cut professionly for a large forestry company for 20 years and if we got caught running a wide tip we got sent home with no pay for 3 days .Our wide tips then were only 11 tooth. The companies strict safety program worked very well. Now running my own company I still use those same values.

Last edited:
I returned the wide bar. They didn't have the regular one. The owner told me a yellow is a professional bar and the green ones are the safety ones. They didn't know anything about the wide ones. I went to another dealer and he had the correct regular bar. He knew about the wide ones and increased Kickback. He won't stock them unless someone asks them. The guys at the dealer around the corner are nice guys but I know where i'll go to ask ?'s

Keep talking my friend, its thinking like that what gets people hurt. Yes a narrow tip bar WILL be better in that situation. Don't forget Stihl's 20 inch bar with the huge wide 13 tooth sprocket nose is bigger then the old 2 7/8" full roller noses.[Let me educate you, the bigger the nose radius the more kickback injury is produced.] And yes greenhorns have to learn how to use a saw too, and also to the arborist who is trying to get that last tree down quickly at the end of a long day because he has the road blocked off.
You are not a pro. Don't go blabbing your dumb azz mouth about murphy and Darwin to Racerboy 832 or other newbies here, what kind of respect is that? Think about the stupid advice your giving. The kids running a 660 with a 20"/13 tooth nose. You know windthrown Murphy and Darwins natural selection will take care of you, you fit the mold perfect.

You are reverting to calling me names now? How special.

But I am not a pro? :monkey:

You mean that people do not pay me for tree service? :monkey:
You mean I have never logged in the woods :monkey:
You mean I do not have certificates in ornamental horticulture and silviculture? :monkey:
You mean I have never had a landscaping and tree business? :monkey:

Gee, I must have missed something there. Considering that you do not know jack about what I do or have done, and you call me a dumb ass? Oh yah, that's right. You are the omni super stud of tree falling. You are the guy that claims to have dropped two million trees. I showed that mathmatically that is impossible. Tell us more lies about how many trees you have felled. Are you up to three million yet?

Again I will state here that if you are relying on a green bar to save your weenie and tired greenhorns, then you are in for a world of hurt. If you are trying to protect the newbies here listening to your tall tales, well, good luck there bubba. The kickback differential between the business end of yellow and green bars is not going to make that much of a difference, and it is entirely dependant on the situation and the saws being used. Yes, I know why the kick is greater on the wider nose bar; it is becasue the contact point at the tip is wider and thus has more grip in the wood and more potential to move upward toward you. But that is completely dependant on the saws, chains, and other factors. I have done numerous tests with that in the woods... yah, out in the woods. Making money. With chainsaws.

Lets look at other factors here. Say that you have a nice and "safe" (safe is relative here, my claim is that yellow and green bars are just as potentially leathal) green weenie 20 inch bar on a 460 chainsaw. Now, compare that to a big bad evil yellow 20 inch bar on a 361. Now which is the 'safer' bar? Or say that you have two 361s, and on the one you have a yellow 20 inch bar, and on the other you have a green 20 inch bar. But on the yellow bar you have full skip chain, and on the green one out have full comp. Now which bar is really safer? Or, lets compare my Olympyk 254 running against one of my 361s with the same 20 inch green bar and same chain? The Olympyk does not have a chainbrake, and no means of stopping the chain in a kickback situation. Is the green bar 'safer' in that situation? I would say no.

Also if you are rushing a job chainsawing a tree becasue you have traffic stopped, then you should not be up there with a saw. Talk about stupid advice.

Last edited:
Dumb azz.

Coming from a liar, I guess that would be a compliment.

But will you stop it with all the name calling? Or is that what you consider a professional response to people that you do not agree with? Get past the 3rd grade dude.

Last edited:
Ummm, Here is a silly thing, The bar I got today to replace the Yellow Wide nose one was also a Yellow ES bar. So are all the ES bars (solid) a yellow and all the Laminated ones the green ones.

Ummm, Here is a silly thing, The bar I got today to replace the Yellow Wide nose one was also a Yellow ES bar. So are all the ES bars (solid) a yellow and all the Laminated ones the green ones.

Are you saying the new yellow bar is a solid tip[hardnose]? If it is replaceable sprocket tip then it would be 11 tooth. Alot safer then the 13 tooth. Laminated bars are not the same quality as a solid body replaceable tip bar because of the rail spreading problem . My advice is run a double guard Oregon [9 T tip] bar like I run on mine,its a high quality solid body replaceable tip bar. Stihl may offer a similar bar but I don't think they do, not available in Canada here any way. Another good bar is the Windsor mini-pro bar. Nice safe smooth bar,your not plunge cutting anyway so the small tip shouldn't be a concern. Just don't pinch the tip in a limb or something and spin the chain with that big powerfull 660, takes out the sprocket tip right away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back