stihl saw names.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
probably just me but i wish stihl would go back to their old names for saws,then
a space and the cc number of the saw.
first thing i think is green poulan ,when i see this new stuff.ms 2900 or however u say it. once had a 2750 poulan .
mabe im the only one looks at it that way
but old fashioned ,so iguess thats my excuse. 028 sounded just neat ,for lack of a better wd for it. 028-47 woodboss

I like the way Jonsered did it by having the CC's as the model number. Although I guess it got kind of confusing when they updated the models different ways. Like a 36 became a 361, but the 110 became a 111 even though it was the same size.

motor sagen

Actually, it was the only part of the line without the 2 letters in front of the number. Trimmers=FS, cutoff saws=TS, hedge trimmers=HS, blowers=BR, etc. We just got used to the old numbers.

I hate to ask a dumb question but,On the older Stihls,what does the AV stand for?I Guessed anti-vibration?

(trying to remeber Stihl letters...)

AV=anti-vibration
Q or QS=QuickStop chainbrake
T=top handle
E=electronic ignition
W=heated handles
WB=Woodboss
G=gear drive
M=Magnum

Not sure of these:

P=rear handle
S=super

Then there was the "GS"--top Contra model that was really the first 090.

I think the "P" stood for Professional. Like my 020AVP has Professional cast right into the handle assembly.

Really? I'd have thought that calling the Stihls back then "Pro" would have been kind of redundant. I've only seen the "P" letter on top-handled 020av's, for some reason.

Avp

John in MA said:
Really? I'd have thought that calling the Stihls back then "Pro" would have been kind of redundant. I've only seen the "P" letter on top-handled 020av's, for some reason.
A = anti
v= vibration
P = pro
this is for sure

Back