Stihl should be ashamed of themselves.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wtf is with the air filter on a 500i?
mine has sucked dirt since day one. I’ve tried some of the suggested “fixes” from members here. I’ve also tried to trade it and can’t get a new one. Can’t get a piston either.
this air filtration system is a failure in the real world. I’ve owned this saw a year. Somewhere around 300 cords on it (poor accounting I donno exactly) I’m shocked it still runs to be honest.
I need to order an aftermarket filter I guess, but would prefer to put a piston in at the same time.
I’ll admit I run saws like I stole them. But I’ve never seen a Stihl with this kinda issue. They would be in deep doo doo if these things were blowing up from dirty carbs and all the wood going though them. I’m guessing the average user doesn’t go through air filters too often. I think this is #5 I’ve put on this saw. Maybe I should just toss it on the shelf and put some panty hose over the hole.
I have seen 500i cutoff saw piston rings for sale on ebay, the bore is 54mm, here is a p/c kit
https://sawagain.com/stihl-ms-500i-cylinder-and-piston-kit-new-oem-11470201200/

This thread is full of Gloom&Doom about the injectors failing. No basis on this, but repeated again and again, that it starts to take on a life.

Here is a response to a YouTube question, that pretty much answers the question once and for all.

1645640093602.png

Im impressed enough with the saws that as soon as I can sell a same as new 390xp, (its only cut 2 trees down and one log into) I WILL be buying another 500i to replace it. Anybody that wants a 390xp same as new, for 800 bucks plus shipping, let me know.
I though those were good saws? Keep it for backup no?

56b86a73a03b3ef0a880edacea83d366.jpg

I don't work on my own saws but I don't have to, to know there's nothing good about that photo lol. You don't need to know much about how saws operate to understand that if Stihl doesn't do something to prevent that, those saws wont last long. They just wont.
It doesn't make no difference if it's a pro grade saw by a large co. or a China knock off. Right is right and wrong is wrong, and nothing about that is right............for any saw. Let alone a pro saw.

I don't work on my own saws but I don't have to, to know there's nothing good about that photo lol. You don't need to know much about how saws operate to understand that if Stihl doesn't do something to prevent that, those saws wont last long. They just wont.
It doesn't make no difference if it's a pro grade saw by a large co. or a China knock off. Right is right and wrong is wrong, and nothing about that is right............for any saw. Let alone a pro saw.
I dont see any sawdust in the throat just on the outside of the filter sealing area. It seals on the round part not the flat one you think.

I dont see any sawdust in the throat just on the outside of the filter sealing area. It seals on the round part not the flat one you think.
I don't either. It just makes you wonder, is it just a matter of time or a sudden change of temp until she sucks in the dust? It would make me nervous, if that were my saw. Not you?

Oh , I see what you guys are saying. So it only seals right around the carb opening, so naturally there would be sawdust under and around the rest.
Still, the inside of the filter needs to be free of sawdust. Looking at this guys filter at the where it does seal and inside the filter, the sawdust around the seal and what appears to be sawdust down inside, doesn't concern you? You're not saying if that's sawdust, that the small amount seen here is an "acceptable" amount of sawdust allowed to go down the carb are you?

When I look at that round part that is supposed to do the sealing, it has that "aged" sawdust look to it. Know what I mean? Leading me to believe the seal was not a 100% seal while on the saw. That's dust that's been there on the seal for a while. Not fresh powder. Meaning, I don't think that came from out around the area from when he pulled the filter off. If that were a true seal, the inner part of the round part, should be perfectly clean as well as not so much a flake down inside either of course. Agree?

I though those were good saws? Keep it for backup no?
Its a GREAT saw! Problem is, its heavier than the 500i, I don't think it will outcut the 500i, and I most likely wont ever use it. Another thing, if I sell the 390, I can deduct the 500i so its a win/win situation.
Ive posted it before, but I don't need 10 years out of a saw, if it lasts me a year its paid for itself. I am not in the least bit concerned about the imaginary issues some folks are having with the 500i and its filtration. My local dealer has sold 70 or so of them since they first came out and not a single saw has came back for repairs that wasn't crushed, ran over, hit by a tree, etc... NOT ONE WARRANTY ISSUE!

I don't either. It just makes you wonder, is it just a matter of time or a sudden change of temp until she sucks in the dust? It would make me nervous, if that were my saw. Not you?
Well I just bought one and am going to be keeping an eye on that. They have afterrmarket filters that are said to fix that issue if it did develop so its not like a major problem I am thinking.

Wow! It's like those tiny bits of dust, outside of the filter are really grenades.

Get Some!

Prozac --> You <-- Prozac

Good analogy. Things down a carb, makes a saw go boom boom. Do these pills you suggest, come in orange too?:chainsaw:
:crazy2:

Yeah, its called an engine. Air+Fuel down the carb, and it goes boom, boom boom per revolution.

As far as the happy-pills go, I wouldn't know. After you get your prescription filled tell us how much better you feel. You might feel a bit dopey, but closer to reality. :yes:

Latest posts

Back