Stihl slams Lowes & Home Depot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCartman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
In the past two weeks Stihl has paid for a FULL centerfold ad in the Wall Street Journal. The contents of the ad are as follows( In very large print)

"WHY IS THE WORLDS NUMBER ONE SELLING BRAND OF CHAIN SAW NOT SOLD AT LOWES OR HOME DEPOT?"

(In smaler print they go into detail)
"We can give you 8,000 reasons, our legion of independent STIHL dealers nationwide. We count on them every day and so can you.To give you a product demonstration,straight talk and genuine advice about STIHL products.To offer fast and expert on-site service.And to stand behind every product they carry,always fully assembled.You see , we wont sell you a chain saw in a box, not even a big one.

:blob2:

Have to admit the system Stihl has works, last guy in a red vest I asked about a chainsaw in HD gave me a sort of far away spaced out look and told me look on the web for info. ;)

People aren't loyal anymore......they don't care much about service.....we live in an instant gratification society.........and Lowes and HD fulfill that need.

Lowes "Chainsaw Expert"

Four days ago I was in the local Lowes looking at the Husky lineup. After 10 minutes I looked for a uniform, and found 2 guys and a gal kabitzing. I asked for a Chainsaw Expert and one guy said that was his department.

I asked him what were the different features of variosus models. He said he would have to look in the book and left. I left, too - and went to the nearby Stihl Dealer, where the guy was really an expert on features; and he was "a part time retiree" !!

I didn't buy a new saw yet - but first impressions are indellible.
This retiree offered an extra chain with what sounded like a good deal already. Plus they service saws on the premises.

My two cents,
Nevin

Why would Stihl advertise in the Wall Street Journal??
Who's the target audience for spending those type of bucks?
Yuppies (or what ever they are now) to maintain their 100' X 100' lot?

Maybe attacting investment? Unusual if nothing else.

Stihl used to take care of their delears better than Husky. Probably still does.

However, will that mean anything with this level of exposure in the big box stores for Husky?

For Stihl to take out that add in the Wall Street Journal, why?

Stihl should be doing that as an add in the local paper. The Journal subscriber is more likely to shop in a Lowes or Home Depot and not that likely to be a chain saw purchaser anyway.

Why did Stihl put that add in the WS Journal? What are their objectives?

Stihl's been running a TV ad for about 4 months in the NW with a skit about a guy asking at a HD (or whatever) how to start his weedwacker.. Then the 8000 reason stuff. If figure it's been working. I get lots of PO'd customers saying they'll never buy there again.

Of couse the problem is they left gas in their $89 trimmer or $129 saw two years ago and it won't start, and no one will service it... The Stihl won't work any better if they do they same, but we'll get it running for them... for $$

As of the WSJ, it has a huge circulation, and there are a lot business owners and "big home" owners in that bunch. Saws are only part of what Stihl sells.

true, I dont know of too many guys here that clear land that read the wall street journal, they tend to be more into stuff like who's Cat is biggest.

Lakeside53 said:
Stihl's been running a TV ad for about 4 months in the NW with a skit about a guy asking at a HD (or whatever) how to start his weedwacker.. Then the 8000 reason stuff.home" owners in that bunch. Saws are only part of what Stihl sells.

I've seen that commercial too. Stihl's policies are one of the reason I'm so fond of them in the first place. I say, "keep it up."

Jeff

As of the WSJ, it has a huge circulation, and there are a lot business owners and "big home" owners in that bunch. Saws are only part of what Stihl sells.
With my business the WSJ is second only to the internet in contacts generated by advertising.

My apostasy >> the CFOs at Stihl are starting to sweat their little LBOs off, and so they need to convince their Wall Street "bosses" that the growing Makita-Dolmar product-distribution line is not the real threat, so they launch a "successful" attack against Lowes etc.

Though I will have to admit, it does include an inside slant against free trade and the fast buck -- the Wall Street Urinal, being the free-tradinest Marxist rag perhaps of all time, it's surprising their editors would allow that idea as their centerfold.

smokechase II said:
Why did Stihl put that add in the WS Journal? What are their objectives?

I cut and pasted that from another forum where this same question was asked. A Stihl dealer on that forum stated that the "Wall Street" types are the ones who come to him expecting quality service and product knowledge - they aren't the type to shop in the big box stores. His theory is that the Big Box shoppers don't typically care as much about quality or service - they buy, use, abuse, and toss. He may have a point....

From what I gather, the ad was also run in the New York Times.

As for my personal opinion, I know that Husky makes a quality product. I'm just quite impressed that Stihl is willing to go to bat for their dealers.

The biggest disapointment are the chainsaws at Sears, for that matter most everything at Sears has turned to junk. At least you can find a good saw at Lowes, even if you can't get it serviced there.:bang:

Lots but not all people that read the WSJ have the cash to buy "the best". The same reason those same people mow their 100x100 lot with a $9000 John Deere lawn mower. It's all about the toys. I say it was a good move on stihl's part.
Clint

Funny thing-a lot of Stihl dealers don't like Stihl. Stihl pushes hard for inventory stocking-A good thing for consumers but a problem for small dealers with limited capitol.

Latest posts

Back