Stihl tank vent hoses

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompson1600

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone else use fuel line to replace Stihl tank vent hoses? Just change out the grub screws into the fuel line tank vent? Any other hose suggestions to use? Thanks

Tom

yes... and it's the hose Stihl will supply if you order the vent line. It's a tiny amount larger then the original, but it works fine.

For those not knowledgeable about Stihl vent hoses, this is only for the version found on the likes of 028, 38, older 44's etc... a short section (2 inches +/-) of hose with one or two grub screws

My 028 has a clear line for the vent which I assume is OEM. Nice thing about clear line is that you can see when it gets clogged if you look really, really close. It will make the saw irritating as hell when it does clog. Does Stihl supply a clear line as a replacement part?
Finnbear

Finnbear said:
My 028 has a clear line for the vent which I assume is OEM. Nice thing about clear line is that you can see when it gets clogged if you look really, really close. It will make the saw irritating as hell when it does clog. Does Stihl supply a clear line as a replacement part?
Finnbear

Nope. Last few times i ordered fuel line from stihl it all came as solid black, no matter what part number I used.

It rarely clogs... and usually only when the old clear tube shrinks around the threads. If yours is clogging, replace the hose; it will be good for another 10 years or so.

Mine did clog and the saw started to bog down after cutting a few minutes. I couldn't easily figure it out so I dropped it off at the dealer. They worked on it and after an expensive "tune-up" sent it back to me with the explanation that they couldn't find a problem so they just tuned it up and it should be fine. They did not run it long enough under load toIt did the same exact thing after I got it back so I dug into it further. The saw seemed to starve for fuel after it ran a bit so I looked the fuel system over closely. I found a tiny bit of dirt in the threads on the setscrew in the vent tube which didn't allow it to bleed off fast enough around the threads. This creates a vacuum in the tank and doesn't allow fuel to the carb fast enough under load. This "vacuum" in the tank builds over a bit of run time and slows fuel flow until the saw won't rev. After cleaning this my saw runs as good as it ever did. I went back to the dealer and showed them what the problem was and they just blew me off. Needless to say I don't go there any more and have since found a real saw shop to deal with.
Finnbear

The dealer's tech didn't do the most basic check then - just pressurize the fuel tank though the fuel line to the carb. Takes seconds and should be part of any fuel issue diagnosis. In the old style vent it bleeds off both ways - pressure or vac. Vac test is required for the newer style vents, but you need to empty the gas and clear out the fuel line/filter first or you suck gas into the vac pump.

I have a set of fuel caps with 1/8 brass tubes in them to pressurise/vac the tanks from the caps for those that are hard to get to though the fuel line.

In my earlier post I should have said "if the vent tube is o.k., it rarely clogs". I replace a couple per week on the old 028's etc. The clear fuel line goes hard and shrinks. Sometimes just winding in both screws a few turns fixes it

Latest posts

Back