stihl tech advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlewis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:) i need to now how hard a job it is to replace the flywheel on a stihl 020av.this is a points saw and what is envolved in converting it to electronic ignition.any help or links or other sources would be appreciated. this is the first saw i've tried to take apart so i need alot of help!:dizzy:

It's been awhile since I've had my 020 apart so I don't have much help for you. However, I must say that's a helluva first saw for you to take apart.:clap: 020s are a renowned as somewhat of a PITA to work on. But they are a sweet saw to run.

Chris B.

You first remove the nut, then screw in the stihl flywheel puller...
Don't pry with screwdrivers or bash with hammers...

As for conversion to electronic, should work fine, but the saw works great with points!

The best thing to do would be to get a service manual... They are a pain in the ass work on..

I have a couple of my bench waiting for serious attention, but it's been a couple of years since I pull one down.

Mike Maas said:
You sound like my dealer, kinda slow to work on stuff. But a couple years? Don't the customers get mad?

Ha!!!!!! One is mine... (a bad trade) and just another project eventually. The other I took home a few months ago as they customer doesn't want to pay shop rate for the restoration! It's one of several saws I'll get to over the winter, maybe, if the skiing sucks. hmmm... 5 x 056, 2 020, 051, 044, 440, 036, other junkers...

In the shop it's a rare repair that's on the repair shelf for more then 5 days... but they can sit for 3 months waiting for the customer to pick them up!.

converting to electronic

Also you may want to compare the keyway in the flywheel.there are some that differ in location from a point system to electronic on the same model saw.(or any small engine for that matter)

ok i'll get the shop manual. going to hit up Scott(retoocs555) and see if he's got the points and condensor. if all else fails i guess i can try and find someone here in sw indiana to work on it.saw mechanics(good ones ...are a dying breed around here) keep the advice and opinions coming i can use them all. thanks

hey! lakeside ....you happen to know what flywheel puller i will need for this saw.looks like stihl has a few different ones.

Back