Stihl top handle saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tophandle saws are only to be used by arborists up in the tree that had proper training in using them.
Don't blame Stihl or its dealers for at last enforcing this. Just have a look around here. You can find a gazillion pictures here of hands coming in contact with the wrong part of the saw and these pictures are only the tip of the iceberg.
In The Netherlands all arbs that do courses to become a certified arborist get training in using the tophandle saws the proper way.
For now, just be lucky the dealers mention not to be sold to home owners and not uncertified arbs!

Tophandle saws are only to be used by arborists up in the tree that had proper training in using them.
Don't blame Stihl or its dealers for at last enforcing this. Just have a look around here. You can find a gazillion pictures here of hands coming in contact with the wrong part of the saw and these pictures are only the tip of the iceberg.
In The Netherlands all arbs that do courses to become a certified arborist get training in using the tophandle saws the proper way.
For now, just be lucky the dealers mention not to be sold to home owners and not uncertified arbs!
I have to disagree. A chainsaw or any tool for that matter is only as dangerous as the idiot holding it.

I wonder if the motorcycle world will follow suit and only sell fast bikes to professional racers???? I have several friends that can't ride a pedal bike safely, buy 150mph rocket bikes and crash them, no lawsuit for the bike dealer that I know of???

The stihl dealer 1/4 mile from me has always had this policy. Since I'm in north east MA I'm surrounded by stihl dealers so I don't care. The dealer 1 mile away has a little has a cheap little Redmax top handle, maybe I should grab it before he does the same.
I'm not an arborist.

We, as dealers, are strongly advised to not sell non-safety chain, top handle saws, or mess with limiter caps. We, as dealers, are not forbidden from doing so. We, as dealers, will not be defended by Stihl's very deep pockets in the case of a lawsuit against us if we violate those policies. If we follow Stihl's policies to a "T" we can expect them to take care of us in the event of a liability lawsuit. I can neither confirm, nor deny, that I have violated any of these "suggestions" by Stihl.

We, as dealers, are strongly advised to not sell non-safety chain, top handle saws,XXXXXXXXXXXXor mess with limiter caps. We, as dealers, are not forbidden from doing so. .................

It seems something kind of missing where I put the XXXXXX. Perhaps "to people not in commercial usage" or something of that nature.

In all honesty wouldn't an arborist have studied plant science to a greater degree than job safety. Around here it seems the top handle saw gets minimal usage, between the hydraulic saw on a 5 foot pole and a rear handle. Sure there are jobs where climbing must be involved but that seems the exception. The medical and disability cost of a climbing injury surely can cost more than a bucket truck.

I wonder if they will stop selling 880's to home owners as well, because you know, there over 50cc....

.. I under stand Stihls reservation, but a company should not be (I said should) held liable for the misuse of their product by an idiot.

dw

I agree but was there not a case where a woman took a hot cup of coffee, placed it between her thighs in very close proximity to her lady garden, slammed on her brakes and burned her funzone to a crisp? Totally her fault and yet she sued McDonalds I believe. Some one could buy a pruning saw hack off a limb and then file a law suit. As our Dutch friend stated proper training is the key. In German many dealers want to see your Bedienerausweis für Motorsägenführer ( chainsaw operators licence /identification. ) before they sell you a saw. Different places different rules.

I wonder if they will stop selling 880's to home owners as well, because you know, there over 50cc....
My guess is its sooner than later, not sure if you listen to any real news outlets but the time is coming....

In these situations, unless someone shows it to me in writing I call it BS.
Who would be eligible to buy one? Certified arborists are probably < 5% of all the tree climbers out there. I have a tree service business. I use a top handle saw. I have no certifications regarding trees at all. I don't fix trees, only do removals. So I can't buy a saw? This sounds like Europe stuff, not in the USA. What do I do? Show them my business license showing me as a tree service? I got that by filling out a form and paying the county some money.

It seems something kind of missing where I put the XXXXXX. Perhaps "to people not in commercial usage" or something of that nature.

In all honesty wouldn't an arborist have studied plant science to a greater degree than job safety. Around here it seems the top handle saw gets minimal usage, between the hydraulic saw on a 5 foot pole and a rear handle. Sure there are jobs where climbing must be involved but that seems the exception. The medical and disability cost of a climbing injury surely can cost more than a bucket truck.
Late night. That sentence should have ended with "to non-professional users"...whatever that means.

So I went to my local dealer to pick up....

IMG_20150509_103426_hdr.jpg

While there I asked him about this top-handle policy, and he has never heard of any restrictions against selling the saw to a anyone.

dw

I'm a dealer and I've never read or heard anything about not selling to certain people. I do know that Stihl modified their warranty policy on top-handle saws recently. All top handle saws get the 90 day commercial use warranty, even if the purchaser isn't using it commercially.

Like AKDoug said, there are all kinds of things we are supposed to do to reduce liability. I imagine, for most dealers, its not realistic to go through all these safety things with the customers. A salesman would have to devote an enormous amount of time to one customer and most customers would probably be annoyed at the lengthy process. I don't blame Stihl, they are selling an inherently dangerous product to the general public. I'm shocked there aren't more accidents.

Latest posts

Back