Stihl Tour in Virginia Beach

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went on a factory tour of the Stihl factory in VA beach with the Mid -Atlantic short course group 2/1/05. Absolutely Amazing !!! The technology and computer controlled robots and equipment are incredible. I would recommend it to anyone that ever gets an opportunity to go, to do it. Brings a whole new respect for the tools seeing the amount of technology and work that it takes to watch a chain saw being created right in front of you. Made me want to come home and polish my tools to make them 'factory fresh' again. :)

Hey Dada,

Can you estimate what percentage of the saw is assembled robotically and what percentage hand-assembled? What were the operations done robotically and what had to be done by hand?

rmihalek said:
Hey Dada,

Can you estimate what percentage of the saw is assembled robotically and what percentage hand-assembled? What were the operations done robotically and what had to be done by hand?

The components of the saw, piston and crank, plastic shrouds, fuel tanks, are all pretty much created by robots and computer. There is some sorting of assembled parts done by hand. My tour watched an engine for a trimmer, edger go through the assembly process. Start with one part and as it travels down the line and parts are added by human hand but the torque setting of the bolts are all done by computer controled tools. At each step the unit is tested by the system and examined for defects by electronic eyes and computers. At the final assembly area the unit is started, by robot, tested under load, and adjusted as needed. If any red flags go up at any point of the process it will be removed from the line and rechecked by human hand and then by computer again. Really amazing that at final assembly and packing, when the unit is boxed, before it is palleted for shipment, they are weight checked and MUST be the exact weight or will be put aside until the problem is found. According to the guide the computer will pick up the slightest package weight difference, ie missing owners manual or extra scrench tool and kick it out to be checked.

That souds very interesting. Can you go there and tour it any time. we usually travel to Virginia beach every summer to visit relatives. I took a tour of the Harley-Davidson plant in York Pa a couple times. The pieces are mainly welded/painted by robots. However they have old stamping presses that are run by humans. and all the assembly on the line is done by humans and dyno testing is done by humans. I guess there is a little more hands on than over at Stihl.

Stihltech, not sure which new addition, this was my first time there and the place was HUGE. Place was so clean that everything looked like a new addition. :)

Justin, I do not think they offer walk up tours, just dealer groups and special tours like the one I was on. The stihl dealers would know more about that than I though.

sounds good!one of my freinds went to the stihl factory in germany (hes a stihl dealer) on his honeymoon,a crate full of 66 barrels had him mesmerised

a_lopa said:
on his honeymoon,a crate full of 66 barrels had him mesmerised

:) I can understand that, I stared at a pallet full of new model 192 for much longer than would be considered normal. I held one in the concept store and it feels really nice, lighter than ms 200 and comfortable handle design. Waiting to see one at dealer to try it out.

Latest posts

Back