stihl vs oregon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Springy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was at the stihl place today getting a new bar and chain. when i stated that i was going to probably get a few oregon chains and bars since it closer to the house an around the same price or cheaper. that when he piped up claiming oregon stuff is cheaper quality for the same price. ive used oregon bars and chains on my smaller saws. i like them. just wondering what everyone else thought. oem or aftermarket bar and chains??

It's all good!

Oregon is usually less money and Stihl chain is tempered a bit harder. I run both and like them both.

big difference depending on what products you are comparing. You'd have to compare base model bars and pro bars.

Personally I like Total Super bars and or Carlton Premium (tsumura steel like the total super bars). it seems like they've lasted longer than the Stihl ES bars and definatly last longer than the oregon pro or pro-lite bars. And I think they look the best out of all the bars you can buy and are still cheaper than stihl ES bars.
Tilton Equipment :: Total Super Bars

I've always found the Stihl chain to last longer and hold an edge longer than Oregon chain... well worth a few more bucks, or a few more miles drive in my personal opinion. Honestly, my biggest complaint with Oregon chain is how much it stretches... enough that I need to remove a link around halfway through the cutter life, and I've never needed to remove a link from Stihl chain. I used-up my last Oregon chain this past spring... I won't be buying any more. The only Oregon (branded) bar I've ever used was a little 10-inch on a little Poulan top-handle... no complaints, but that ain't much of a comparison either. I have been told that Oregan manufactures and re-brands bars for a lot of saw companies... and going on those comparisons (if it's true) the Stihl bars are well worth a few more bucks, or a few more miles drive in my personal opinion.

It's all good!

Oregon is usually less money and Stihl chain is tempered a bit harder. I run both and like them both.

Stihl chain has thicker chrome, for good and bad.... I like both, with a slight preference for Oregon.
There are no real price difference here.

All the bars mentioned are fine, and many more.

Around here Oregon is more money. I know, strange but true. I've been wanting to try a 44 loop of 90S for my mini saw, but no one stocks it. Closest I could come is 90SG for 17.99. The Stihl PMM3 is 14.99. It's been my experience that the Stihl saw chain is a little more refined and finished nicer. HOWEVER, I've not cut a single stick with any Oregon saw chain.

Thanks. still new to this and trying to form my opinions while seeking saw knowledge. Im comparing the pro stuff as im a firm believer that you get what you pay for. but i do like running cheap chains when im cutting stumps.

I use both Oregon and Stihl chain, and in my experience the Stihl holds an edge a little longer when they are both new. After a sharpening or two it is hard to tell a difference. As for the bars in my opinion the Stihl bars are better. I bought a 28'' Oregon Power Match and I can tell you that it isn't as hard as the Stihl bars and the oiler holes are tiny and get clogged easily. I drilled out the oiler holes and it is fine now, but it does require dressing more often. I bought a 20'' Windsor bar for my 441 and it is holding up really well so far. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Baileys no longer has Windsor bars the Carlton Speed Tip that's in the catalog now looks like a re branded Windsor though.

I use oregon and woodland pro from Baileys is good too!:hmm3grin2orange:

Whitespider; said:
Honestly, my biggest complaint with Oregon chain is how much it stretches... enough that I need to remove a link around halfway through the cutter life, and I've never needed to remove a link from Stihl chain.
Can't say as though I've ever had to remove a link from an Oregon chain throughout its life. Interesting you have to every time.

Can't say as though I've ever had to remove a link from an Oregon chain throughout its life. Interesting you have to every time.

Many years ago, I had to do it with almost every Oregon and Stihl chain on my old Poulans. Have not had that problem in over 20 years. And I've run a bunch of Oregon.

I actually like Oregon chain a little better than Stihl. But they are both good.

I have Oregon Pro-Light bars on my Husky's, no complaints and on my Stihl top handles i use Stihl E Light bars but i use only Stihl chain.

Bars, toss up

In terms of durability either is fine. If you care about such things, the paint on the Oregon bars usually lasts through a dozen tanks and then you're down to bare metal. Stihl's paint / coating lasts a lot longer.

Chains, Stihl all the way. The extra hardness and chrome holds the edge better than the Oregon stuff, allowing you to get more aggressive with the geometry and not resharpen as often. Hit a rock or such and they're both toast.

Take Care

I don't prefer one chain over the other but IMO the stihl es bars hold up better than oregon.

Thanks. still new to this and trying to form my opinions while seeking saw knowledge. Im comparing the pro stuff as im a firm believer that you get what you pay for. but i do like running cheap chains when im cutting stumps.

I see you are in Virginia, whereabouts do you live? You can come try some brand new in the box Stihl rs and Oregon lgx chains I have. You can also run some chains that have been ground a couple times in both Stihl and Oregon and see how a broke in chain compares to new if you like.

Offers on the table!

The only time I ever have to is when there's an issue with the oiler and premature/ excessive
wear on the sprocket, bar or chain adjuster.

Well, I just went back and read my post about Oregon chain stretching, and to completely honest I need to add something...

Any Oregon chain(s) I've used have been .325 pitch, I have no experience with Oregon 3/8 and can't speak to that.
I don't have a clue if that makes any difference, or what others have experienced... but at least that there is the whole truth.

Back