Stihlmans Wood,Tree cutting ramblings...........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 441RCs have there place but i dont waste them on the sh_t dry hard jobs there to good for that.Like Wednesday,Thursday,Friday this week we have to remove dead,hard,dry Yellowbox,Stringy,Redgums from a paddock before cropping starts so the 460 and 461 will have to do the hard crap work.
Keep posted things are about to get hard work.:msp_rolleyes:

I can see why you'd pull the old 460 out for a crap job but why the 461? Can't the 441's handle it? :poke:

I have a plan because i do so much different wood work i set up saws for clean green and dry crap work.:msp_biggrin:

I think secretly you're just trying to justify a job for each of your 28 saws so they don't start infighting about who's the favourite :D

At it again bloke the next few days felling cleaning up for the cocky thats about to start cropping,plenty of Yellowbox here.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It was not quite that bad Matt but close,ya need tip top gear for this type of wood for shore and two sizes up saw from what you think you will need.
I wood love to have a bush load of average US blokes come over and have a go at some of this type wood,just to see the looks on there faces would be priceless.:laugh::laugh:

It was not quite that bad Matt but close,ya need tip top gear for this type of wood for shore and two sizes up saw from what you think you will need.
I wood love to have a bush load of average US blokes come over and have a go at some of this type wood,just to see the looks on there faces would be priceless.:laugh::laugh:

Yeah for sure mate.I am a little concerened about you Andrew,i noticed an oil stain on your saw,very unusual for you :D

Yellow and White Box is about all I have to cut around here :(

One day I'd like to have something not as savage on a chain, and especially not with termite chimneys up the guts.
Had a small amount of Lemon Scented Gum to cut the other day and it was heaven in comparison.
Back to cutting Box yesterday and I was like this :(

Hey Matt, send me some of that RSLK you have, I have to drop a big old Box tree soon, just have to get a couple of bits for the 3120 (although I'm sure the 7901 will eat it with the 30" bar :D )

We could take bets on how many seconds the chain would last before it stopped dead and just smoked up :laugh:

Ya sorry mate no time for maintenance at the moment to much wood to cut and so little time,but i will get onto that thanks.:msp_smile:

Heh heh. Funny you say that mate. A few years ago I was called lazy for having visually dirty saws - I was in the same boat as you are now. No time to scratch myself :D When you get that busy as long as the chain is sharp and the filter is clean that's pretty well all you end up caring about.

Yellow and White Box is about all I have to cut around here :(

One day I'd like to have something not as savage on a chain, and especially not with termite chimneys up the guts.
Had a small amount of Lemon Scented Gum to cut the other day and it was heaven in comparison.
Back to cutting Box yesterday and I was like this :(

Hey Matt, send me some of that RSLK you have, I have to drop a big old Box tree soon, just have to get a couple of bits for the 3120 (although I'm sure the 7901 will eat it with the 30" bar :D )

We could take bets on how many seconds the chain would last before it stopped dead and just smoked up :laugh:

hey rick what's Lemon Scented Gum like as fire wood

cheers D

hey rick what's Lemon Scented Gum like as fire wood

cheers D

Bloody good Darren.

Burns very, very cleanly, maybe a little fast compared to Box, with just white ash left afterwards.

It'd be the same as Spotted Gum, they are almost the same tree.

Have a mix of Box and LSG 'Grandad firewood' (4-5" branches) in the heater ATM.

Out of that first paddock we got 32 mtrs and have move to the next one this was the first tree for the day another hard dry Yellowbox.
The ported 461R is paying for its self.:D

[video=youtube;wEplFItXDKw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEplFItXDKw[/video]

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sold two trailer loads of 4 mtrs each and then found a patch of Redgum to finish up with.

attachment.php

Took afew pics of a nice large Redgum in the fading light.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Ya just about over this Yellowbox,i started with a new 20'' semi chisel chain and a week latter its about nackerd and ready for the bin.Cant complain to much made some good coin in the last week.

Ya just about over this Yellowbox,i started with a new 20'' semi chisel chain and a week latter its about nackerd and ready for the bin.Cant complain to much made some good coin in the last week.

I understand with the chains mate and you did well to get a week out of one chain in that crap. Some people forget that they are actually a CONSUMABLE item and if they've paid for themselves then all good :)

I'm sure others would cry and whine that they only got a week out of a chain so it must be crap chain :D

Man that's some nice looking firewood. Looks hard as hell. That first video reminds me of locust around here, The kind of stuff that throws sparks off the chain.

Back