Stilh 039 worth it or not ??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dans3kgt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I see from doing a search on here the Stihl 039 is not to well liked. I have a friend who has one for sale . It's in pretty good shape runs good and has good compression. It has a 20" bar on it. he is asking 100.00 for it. Is it worth it? I would think any good running stihl should be worth 100 bucks. But like I said they dont seem to well liked on here.

Thanks

Dan

he just called and said he alo has a lombard saw as well are they any good?

dan

Fish

I cant seem to rember his number right now :hmm3grin2orange:

I'll get it for you after i pick up the saws :hmm3grin2orange:LOL

I'll post pics later

Dan

$100.00 would be a steal for you! If it is a good runner, you just got the deal of the year.

Richard

what he said +1

hope fish doesn't read this and kick me off the site....................

Last edited:
I picked one up (039) earlier this year in great shape for $275 with a 25" bar.
Runs strong even with the over sized bar -- screams with a 20" and I haven't even done a MM on it yet.

For a hundred bux you can't go wrong even if it doesn't run and needs a rebuild.

Poge

I picked one up (039) earlier this year in great shape for $275 with a 25" bar.
Runs strong even with the over sized bar -- screams with a 20" and I haven't even done a MM on it yet.

For a hundred bux you can't go wrong even if it doesn't run and needs a rebuild.

Poge

+1. I also have one with a 20" bar. Just open up the muffler a little. You are getting that saw at a huge discount if it runs and cuts well. Why are you waiting? We would all be screaming at you about this but the site does not allow all caps typing.:greenchainsaw:

I must have ran over there too fast to get the 039 . When I got there to look at the saws he showed me the stihl first .looked great ran great cut good . Then he showed me the lombard it is a at42d it has great compression but I didnt have any fuel to put in it .He says it ran a couple years ago but hasent tried it latley. he wanted 75 for it. I said I'll pass on the lombard and just take the stihl. I get ready to leave and get the money out and he says well I will have to think about it a little . He wants to go to a bigger saw and he realizes that a new ones going to be 700 plus. so I hope he does not look it up and see its worth more . I emailed him and told him I would take both saws but havent heard back from him. Does anyone know much about the lombard saws? would it run a 24" bar? I emailed him and told him I would get it going for him If he sells me the 039.

Dude, jump on it! My first new saw was a MS390, and it was a really nice saw, cut real well. It wasn't until I listened to the nay sayers here that I found out it was a pile of junk:) Don't believe any of that crap you hear, thats a good saw!:greenchainsaw:

Thats worth 100 large of anyones money. Looks like hes getting cold feet though.

Thats what I am afraid of .
Anyone have any input on the lombard?

Thanks

Dan

Can't tell ya much about the lombard but i paid 150 for my 039, muffler mod and it will pull a 24 just fine. offer him 200 for both saws, ya wouldn't be out anything there

As long as the 039 runs, your good to go... I've got a buddies rite now, the muffler baffle broke down and ended up throwing a metal piece into the piston... I'm going to be rebuilding it for him... Its a dificult saw to work on compaired to their full pro saw line.

Well its been 2 weeks in the makes but I finally got the 039 . It took a while to finish the deal but heres how it played out. The guy I got it from did not want to be without a saw so I bought the lumbard from him for 75.00 I told him I would get the lumbard going and bring it back after I got it running. So
after a carb kit,fuel lines and starter rope I took it back to him and we finally made a deal I gave the lumbard back plus 50.00 more so now I have 125.00 plus the carb kit and my time invested. I think I did ok . The compression is 130 psi when its warm. The piston looks great and there is no broken or melted plastic and it runs good. I have the muffler off to look at the piston so I'm going to go ahead and do a muffler mod . It also came with a 18" and
a 20" bar and chain. I think the guy knows the stihl is the better of the two saws but he said the lumbard belonged to his father and he passed away last year so there is some personal value there. And I just like to bring old saws back to life. I will post some pictures of the 039 later

Dan

Latest posts

Back