Stilh 260 vs. Husky 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tundrotta. he didnt say. he dont really talk a lot,unless hes got some imput about somethin. from the looks of his 4 wheel dr truck[new an big is all i know]
production must be pretty good tho.:)

Jeff, I`m wondering what it is in your 346 combo that sets it apart from mine. Yeah mine really grooves on that 8 - 10" stuff, but it pulls a 20" bar with full comp round chisel in either 3/8 or .325 just fine in bigger stuff. I run a 7 tooth vs your 8, keep the rakers at no more than .025, and mine is Walkerized, but many people who should no alot more about saws than I do say that isn`t a big factor. I`d be willing to bet that the 8 tooth rim has a huge effect, I know it`s noticable on a stock 044 or 372 in bigger hardwood. Have you ever run your 346 with a 7T rim in anything bigger than 10"? Russ

Hey Otto, some people just can`t handle divergent view points like I can, LOL. You are being noticed because he doesn`t like your message, take that as an endorsement, coming form a dyed in the wool Stihl man! Russ

I used to own an 026pro, and sold it in favor of the 346xp. After much thought and research, I bought the 026 new. After having it for two years, my dad bought a brand new 346xp. I cut with it after he broke it in, and was amazed. Running the same chain, same length bar, it cut circles around mine, and it felt much more comfortable. So I bought one, though I had mine Walkerized. I also have a Walkerized 372xp, and the 346 impresses me more than any other saw I have owned. It is just a blast to run. Great for limbing, topping, and I do alot of felling with it. Loves to eat up cottonwood, popple, and pine. For the big stuff I will get out the 372. I will say there are things about the Stihl that I miss greatly. The side tensioner on the Stihl is awesome, very convenient, very nice set-up. I also miss the thumb switch. All of the controls at you're thumb. Husqvarnas leave much to be desired. I do not miss the carb on the Stihl. Good luck with you're decision, as saws are not cheap. I would highly recommend trying both out.

lets talk STRICKTLY STOCK... how does the 346 handle in hardwood w/16" bar and .325. i'm talkin hardwoods in the 6-18" range, for cutting fire wood. also how well does the air filtration system work???

Strictly Stock

Hi Ryan, the 346 is alot like the 026 under the conditions you mentioned. Personally I think it is a hair faster, but I could be mistaken, it`s very close. The antivibe on the 346 is better, but some people prefer the Stihl feel, demo both if you can. The Husky Air Injection kicks butt, once you have a saw with it you will never want one without it, but in all fairness, if you keep your chain sharp, air filter maintenance shouldn`t be a big issue. You will likely be happy with either saw, 346 or 026. Russ

just spent the past hour on the phone with mary mark and have decided to go and buy a 346xp this week:eek: first husky:rolleyes: is it me or are saws a serious adiction:confused: is their help for people like us:confused: lol

Last edited:
Stihl 260 vs. Husky 346xp

I was trying to decide between these two saws; I went and tried both out at my local dealers. I've used only Stihl saws for over 30 years, I'm pretty familiar with how they work/feel and am probably somewhat biased toward Stihl. I liked the Husky because of cost and that I could buy it mailorder for about $80 less than the Stihl (more on this later). Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had one of my Stihl saws down for repair when I wanted to use it. I also take good care of them. Given the logs I cut at the dealers with them (these were different dealers - obviously different logs), I'd say they cut very close to the same speed. Husky had little vibration, Stihl a little more. Neither vibrated enough that I was going to worry about it. I didn't care for the controls on the Husky (this might be 30 years of Stihl bias) and it appeared that swapping chains is more difficult. The chain tensioner on the Stihl looked like a better design, I haven't had a chance to use it yet so I don't know. The Husky dealer wouldn't come down on the price ($414) and when I mentioned the Internet price ($357) his comment was "They shouldn't be selling them that way - and I work on the ones with my shop sticker on it first." This made me nervous; I'd hate to buy something from Az or Colorado and have a problem with it that I might have difficulty getting fixed. That put the damper on my buying a Husky. The Stihl dealer told me about that case, chain, hat deal - I gave him back the case and took another chain. He also commented that they work on locally bought saws first. I'm not sure how big a deal it is buying locally; I'd found the Stihl for less out of my area for less. I've run 3 tanks of gas thru it in a couple of days; it cuts good and is a lot easier to lug around than my 056.

shops around here don't use stickers anymore:) i'm gonna go take a long hard look at the husky tomorrow:D

Latest posts

Back