Stilh ms362C bogging in deep wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAD MARK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have a 362 no mtronic. Idles fine, starts fine, revs under no load fine, but when I'm cutting in deep wood (10-20") it tends to grab and bog down stopping chain completely. If I hold back and don't use the the dawgs as a pivot it is fine. But, if using the dawgs and pulling on handle will grab and bog.

Took to stihl dealer, said carb was slightly off and if that didn't work bring it back.

Fuel filter new
Spark plug new properly gapped
Spark arrestor screen clear
Carb apparently good

What should I be checking??

Here's a shot of my dad's house after unlucky wind and ants got the best of right split. Ended up taking down whole tree after I climbed and got most of "wrong side" weight off it.

999.jpg

998.jpg 997-1.jpg

Put up a closeup of the chain.
When you day "bog", and the chain stops, is the engine trying to die?

I'll have to wait to get home to get pictures of chain.

I say bog down as engine doesn't die even if I hold it down like that. It just "grunts" with no movement. I was thinking the high adjustment was off but was told no.

The dogs are not there for leverage when bucking, they're really only needed for felling. With a properly sharp chain the saw should self feed without any leveraging force. Any saw with a properly sharpened chain will body down if you lean on it too much.

Now if the simply has no power to pull it's way through a cut you may have an issue. What I see happen all too often, is guys that normally run bad chains get used to forcing a saw through the cut. When they get a new chain an try and force the saw, it stops dead.

All this was on a brand new chain 33rs 20" bar.

And yes, the chain stops cutting and grunts. So I usually lift the whole saw up out of the wood and it will within 2 seconds get back up to speed.

This doesn't happen at all if I hold back on saw while cutting through and never really let the chain grab.

I don't use the dogs as a fulcrum per say, but just as a rest for the saw when cutting wood 12" or larger. Mostly for 20"+ so I get max depth first go round.

Was thinking this was a chain issue and the way I sharpen, but after trying on new chain I'm still thinking carb adjustment needed.

Same thing was happening with mine. I put a new air filter on and it helped. Even though I was cleaning the old one with the air compressor it still needed replaced.

Same thing was happening with mine. I put a new air filter on and it helped. Even though I was cleaning the old one with the air compressor it still needed replaced.

Forgot to say air filter is new too. Bought a whole tune up "kit". Thanks for idea though.

This is either the chain and sprocket or the clutch and drum need a good cleaning or maybe replaced. Premature slipping is possible with a worn drum and clutch shoes or it might need to be cleaned. I doubt it’s engine related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm sounds like to much 4 stroking.

Do you own the spline tools to adjust the carb ?
Off-hand, sounds like carb needs adjustment.

My 441 with a 20 inch bar was doing the same thing. It would be tearing thru the cut then grab and stop the chain. It turned out i needed a new depth gauge for the rakers. About 6 filings later it is almost cutting normal again.

Latest posts

Back