Stirring more oil into the pot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatsnext

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm pretty new here but I received some oil in the mail today from my sister and brother in law. It's called Blue Marble 2-stroke oil. My brother in law swears by it in his race bikes and snowmobiles and thought I'd like to try it out. I'm going to mix up some for something cheap first, like my weedeater, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has used it. The companies performance claims can be found here:
www.envirofuelslp.com
Thank, John........

I wonder how different oils are for water cooled engines like the ones you mentioned (race bikes and sleds) versus air cooled applications like chain saws?

rmihalek said:
I wonder how different oils are for water cooled engines like the ones you mentioned (race bikes and sleds) versus air cooled applications like chain saws?
I've always wondered the same thing. I do know that some of the TC-W3 specs have to do with biodegradability but I'm not sure if that would help or hurt it's lubricity. The BlueMarble folks ask you not to do certain things, like mixing in a metal fuel can. That seems a little odd to me. My brother in law builds race motors for himself, others, and Ford's SVO program so I trust him. I'll try it in my weedeater and see what it does.
John.....

Hmmmm, veeerry interesting.

I'm sure Ben will jump in here soon.

My understanding is that water cooled engines run much cooler than air cooled engines. Water cooled two stroke oil (tcw3) will burn up in a hotter running air cooled motor and will not lubricate adequately. On the other hand, air cooled two stroke oil(tc), designed to burn cleanly while lubricating at hotter temperatures, will not burn cleanly at the cooler temps found in water cooled engines resulting in spooge and carbon buildup. Oils are available that effectively lube both engines, though not as well as a purpose-formulated oil.

I wasn't able to find a specific statement as to whether Blue Marble was for air cooled or water cooled engines, just that it "will work fine in any 2-stroke engine." Hmmm.

Decidedly Amsoil-ish.

whatsnext said:
I've always wondered the same thing. I do know that some of the TC-W3 specs have to do with biodegradability but I'm not sure if that would help or hurt it's lubricity. The BlueMarble folks ask you not to do certain things, like mixing in a metal fuel can. That seems a little odd to me. My brother in law builds race motors for himself, others, and Ford's SVO program so I trust him. I'll try it in my weedeater and see what it does.
John.....
So you trust him, but you're trying it out on something cheap first, eh? :) Reminds me of the old saying "Trust everyone, but cut the deck." ha ha

Here's another link http://www.bluemarblecanada.com/?section=home

Sounds like pretty impressive stuff, I did some searches to find out how thick that coating of 50 angstroms was ... well a sheet of paper is 1,000,000 yes 1 million angstroms so it's only minute, invisible.

They tested the product on a weedeater too, so it appears ok to use on air cooled engines.

There needs to be some clarification as to the required mixing ratio. In fact their own site says "Blue Marble offers a full damage replacement warranty with Blue Marble usage according to recommended guidelines. "

So, if you're currently using Stihl 2 stroke oil at say 40:1 ratio what's the deal for using this stuff? Using Stihl oil (apparently synthetic additives in it) you can go to 50:1 if you want to push it, but a lot of mineral based generic 2 stroke oils the max is 25:1

I've emailed them and wait for the response.

Well, then it's gotta be the go ... I wonder if you can get the stuff in Australia

I'll pull my weedeater plug and get a picture of it. I know I've got at least 2 hours worth of cutting before I shut down so we'll see if it looks any different.
John....

As some of you know I run snowmobiles alot during the winter and as such have run into alot of info in regards to blue marble. The jist of it is their claims are for the most part BS, despite what they say they have no certifications(ask for there jaso cert #), it burns fairly dirty, and it had alot of problems with flow in cold weather(this supposidly has been solved.).
If it sounds to could to be true it problay is and in this case I think it would be another oil well suited to keeping dust down on my driveway and not much else.

Whatsnext, I did some research on this oil last fall, and have read some rave reviews in its use in liquid cooled snowmobiles and watercraft for increased power and decreased fuel consumption, as well as being easily biodegradable. HOWEVER, I think you have the right idea, try it in something expendable first, preferably a junker saw because they work harder and produce more heat than a weedwacker. Better still, ask your in-law to pull the jug off of his dirt bike so you can have a good look. This way you can make a judgment call before you commit to using it in a good saw.

I ran about three tanks through the weedwacker and the first thing I noticed is the smell, a bit like veggy oil. The other thing was that after the first tank it pretty much stopped making any smoke. I've only got a pint of the stuff so I may try some in my sailboat's little four HP kicker. Pretty unscientific testing but the weedwacker didn't blow up so I'm happy.
John......

32-1. It's what I use in everything except my trials bike. The little weedwacker has no carb ajustments except idle speed and it seems to like 32-1 just fine.
John........

Ben-

Don't worry about it, won't be using the stuff, didn't mean to give that impression. Quite happy with MX2T.

Whatsnext-

Did you drain the remaining fuel mix out of your weedeater's tank before adding Blue Marble mix? If not, do you know what oil you used previously, and what mix ratio? Thanks again.

I drained the tank before putting in the new mix but did not bother cleaning out the lines or carb because I knew I'd be runnind it for a while. I'm pretty sure it would have had AirSyn synthetic at 32-1 because I bought four or five gallons a while back and that's all I've used in everything for a while now. I'm going to need to find a new oil soon because I'm down to about three quarts of the AirSyn and I don't know if it's available anywhere.
John........

Latest posts

Back