Store wet or dry??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know it's best to store a saw after it's run out of fuel but is it better to:

1. Let it run out of fuel then fill up the tank but discard the gas once it's but back in service.

Or,

2. Run it out of gas and leave the tank dry during storage.

Will the fuel line and filter deteriorate faster when dry?

According to both the Husqvarna engineer that I spoke with about a year ago and my local Husky dealer, they recommend using stabilized fuel, and not running it dry, but rather running the saw long enough to ensure that stabilizer is in the carb, then stopping the saw and topping off the tank to minimize evaporation. My Stihl dealer also said this is acceptable, but the key is to top off the tank. When the saw is put back into service, dump the tank and fill with fresh fuel. I have stored a couple of saws like this for the last year as an experiment, and have seen no adverse results.

As for long-term storage (1yr +), I will probably stick to running the saw dry, and leaving the tank dry, as well.

I will always run my saws dry because I have seen too many fuel lines turned to mush. For the guy keeping his saw 3 yrs it makes no difference but todays fuels destroy fuel lines! They come right apart in your hands. And we dont even have alcohol fuels here, which would make things much worse. Stabilizer is great for the carb butdoes nothing for the fuel lines

Back