storing chain saw fuel washout?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What and where fuel is stored makes a big difference. If you store e10 fuel in a hot hazmat locker thats 115-130 degrees inside fuel may last 2-3 weeks and if left in a container in direct sunlight at similar temperatures fuel can go bad in as little as a week stored in 5 gallon containers. If thats in a saw or weed eater after week things will start guming up. If fuel is left in an area that is cool and not in direct sunlight it can last over a year.

My echo manual, (what? You mean you read that thing?) states for storage to drain all fuel, depress primer bulb, pull recoil with unit on to burn off any fuel, then put a few drops of 2 cycle oil into the spark plug hole, turn it over a few times, then set piston to top dead center and replace spark plug. That's it. Then it is ready for storage.

File is solvent, solvents are hard on rubber and plastics. Fuel that contains Ethanol is especially harmful to plastic and rubber components, it is also less stable. Ethanol is very hygroscopic and corrosive.

It is never a good idea to store fuel in any out door power equipment for extended periods of time, even if you've gotten away with it so far, it's only a matter of time. If you must store fuel, non Ethanol or AV fuel is the best option, and will normally last the better part of two year in the proper container.

Almost saw, mower, trimmer, generator I've had to work on the past 10 years had fuel related issues.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

i just run whatever and if the saw sits to long before next run i dump the fuel and replace with fresh. running them dry makes the line dry rot and filter clog with varnish.

i just run whatever and if the saw sits to long before next run i dump the fuel and replace with fresh. running them dry makes the line dry rot and filter clog with varnish.
And fuel will eventually dissolve the fuel lines, and varnish is a problem.. at least with the pump fuel around here. I've found what looks like polymer completely blocking filters and carb screens. Take into consideration loggers use their equipment regularly, and that's likely what you're used to working on. Working on equipment that sits is a whole different ball game.

When it come down to it, if you keep your equipment long enough the fuel system will eventually need work at some point. However draining the fuel and running the fuel out of the system is the best option. Now if you use Tygon good luck, let a saw sit dry and that junk turns to stone in a few weeks.

And fuel will eventually dissolve the fuel lines, and varnish is a problem.. at least with the pump fuel around here. I've found what looks like polymer completely blocking filters and carb screens Take into consideration loggers use their equipment regularly, and that likely what you're used to working on. Working Putin equipment that sits is a whole different ball game.

When it come down to it, if you keep your equipment longer enough the fuel system will eventually need work at some point. However draining the fuel and run the the fuel out is the best option. Now if you use Tygon good luck, let a saw sit dry and that junk turns to stone in a few weeks.

My saws never sit more then 2 weeks even when I was a hack so my experience is limited to those who let their saws sit and then bring it to me. Leaving the gas in and replacing if needed has always worked for me.

My saws never sit more then 2 weeks even when I was a hack so my experience is limited to those who let their saws sit and then bring it to me. Leaving the gas in and replacing if needed has always worked for me.
Most people in this area "if they own a saw at all" use a saw once a year at best, firewood and guys excluded. With the pro stuff you just see the normal abuse, tanks full of saw dust and so on.

Latest posts

Back